Violence & Sex in Games - Page 11 of 23

No, America is still a young "child" - Page 11 - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 23rd Jun, 2007 - 2:49am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 23 pgs.  7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...Latest (23) »

?
Poll: I think Violence and Sex in video games is...
  Terrible and should be removed       29.82%
  Okay once it is done in good taste       28.07%
  Fine, nothing wrong with it at all       42.11%
Total Votes: 57
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Discuss  Violence & Sex in Games Is all that violence and sex in video games really necessary to entertain?
12th Apr, 2006 - 9:05pm / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games - Page 11

I have an X-Box and while I don't play the horribly bloody games, I do play those such as Fable and Jade Empire which do "glamorize" to an extent. When I know I'm going to have little ones over of friends or whatnot and they ask to play the X-Box, I first ask the parents and then remove those games and leave the ones like tennis and skateboarding. I agree that parents need to be excercising a little more control over what their children are watching -- However, I also agree that t here is far too much violence in some of these games that is unnecessary.

Post Date: 16th Jun, 2006 - 10:16pm / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Games Sex and Violence

Ok I read majority of the post, and for the most part I agree with some of the aspect. Yes some of the Scenes in GTA are vulgar, but at the same time that is the reason that it has a Mature rating correct? As far as I see it I'm of age and have been around this material (supervised though most of it) but I do not have the urge to steal cars, push drugs, and kill people. It is the parents responsibility to teach their children the difference between right and wrong, not marketers. If you look back through various things we (hypothetically speaking) have watched growing up, whether it be Buggs Bunny getting chased by Elmer Fudd and plugging the gun and it back firing on Fudd, to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fighting robots. Did you really try plugging a gun with your finger to backfire the gun on someone? I doubt it *granted somewhere someone tried it* or did you go buy a kitana and try slicing someone up? I highly doubt it. How many other things have been displayed through radio and TV that are so fictionalthat we watch and are so fixed on that are completely fictional and distorts the line between correct/incorrect, but we turn out completely fine? How many movies have you watched that have a sci-fi plot to them? Does this mean that Like in "Lost world" that we are going to find a plateau that has living dinosaurs on it? At this poing I doubt it but its *entertainment* and thats what your after in a game. Society places these restrictions on things, which I agree with because when my younger brother was 12 I didnt want him listening to some of the rap I was listening to, which is the logical thing. Now though that he is 18 y.o. I have no issue with it because he has the knowledge and the mind set to determine what is real and what is fictional, to distinguish the variations of right and wrong. Now back to GTA yes there is vulgar material, but out of all that is criticizing it how much of the game have you played through? There is plots and twists in it also, it does have a gang banger going to prison, does show you getting arrested for certain actions. But shouldnt these actions deplicted on the game be taught in the home as either being correct or incorrect? Please excuse my ignorance over the thoughts stated above.

Post Date: 17th Jun, 2006 - 12:26pm / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games
A Friend

Violence & Sex in Games Gaming Video & Issues Computer

First off I'm not totally innocent, because I do play Everquest2.

While my game is not all about chasing butterflies and petting fuzzy bunnies, it is relatively tame. Matter of fact, many of my fellow gamers have complained about the lack of "real blood" and skimpy outfits.

What concerns me is the lack of any element of fantasy in some of these games like GFA. People would have a hard time wacking orcs, stealing an ancient scroll from the overlord, or waging an epic battle against a dragon in real life. But some of these games are so realistic and pertaining to modern life and what could actually happen, and does happen.

What also concerns me is how people have become so desensitized to violence and blatant sex images. Where are we going with this? Back to the dark ages where it was common to witness people hanged and burned, an everyday occurrence?

What our grandparents would have considered shocking in their time is "normal" to us. So we consider these types of games okay now, but what is the future going to bring if we allow this stuff to go unchecked? It's only going to get worse.

While we can't totally stop these games from being produced and falling into the hands of our youth, we can continue to speak out about it, keep it in check, and let the powers that be know we are out there and we are not happy about it.

We owe it to our grandchildren.

Post Date: 19th Apr, 2007 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 11 Games Sex and Violence

VIOLENT GAMES 'EXHILARATING ESCAPISM' - SURVEY

LONDON: Players of violent video games believe they are just "exhilarating" escapism which does not desensitise them to real-life mayhem, according to a new survey of one of the entertainment industry's fastest growing sectors.
Ref. https://www.stuff.co.nz/hlc/1,,93498~4030915a28~,00.html

22nd Jun, 2007 - 7:24pm / Post ID: #

Games Sex and Violence

I can imagine the anger, pain and frustration that this mother had to go through like if the death of her son wasn't enough for a company now to put some images of her slain son on a computer game as a clue! *shaking head*

LONDON -  A computer game that featured footage of murdered British toddler James Bulger has been withdrawn from sale after complaints from his mother.

Denise Fergus, 37, who still lives in the same Liverpool-area home, was furious that a company used the grainy closed-circuit television image of her son's kidnapping as a clue in a game.

The photograph showed James, 2, walking off hand in hand with Robert Thompson and Jon Venables, his 10-year-old abductors, from The Strand shopping center in February 1993.

The youngster was led through streets to a railway siding where he was tortured, killed and his body abandoned across the track. The two killers were released from state custody in 2001.

The CCTV footage was issued by Merseyside Police to help in the murder investigation and became instantly recognizable around the world.

The image appeared in the game " Law and Order: Double or Nothing," a spin-off from the television crime series.

After Fergus said she was consulting lawyers over the footage, the California-based developer of the game, Legacy Interactive, is reported to have apologized for any distress and said the photograph would be removed from future copies.

The game has been withdrawn from sale by its U.K. distributor, Global Software.

Fergus described the use of the image as sick and hurtful to her and her family. She added that she was determined to do everything in her power to have the material destroyed.

She said: "To know that James has been turned into a clue in a game makes me very angry. The people who made this game have treated him as though he is public property, like some kind of fictional figure. It dehumanizes the memory of my lovely son."

23rd Jun, 2007 - 1:00am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex in Games

Growing up oversea's on Japanese anime and video games with all the detail of shower scenes and blood and guts. ( Fist of the North Star for an example) This never would have crossed my mind as bad, its whats normal when you walk into a shower room looking for a fight.

Returning to America was a shock. The amount of editing a game or movie takes to be able to be released over here is hilarious. I think the American culture as a whole has a lot of growing to do before its ready for the full uncut versions or even the cut versions.

Generally it boils down to what morals, culture, respect for family the parent/society teachs their kids. Heck we used to respect our teachers, parents, and neighbors when I was growing up. Most of this is the parents responsiblity but some blame is societys. As we let the media form opinions for us, cause they know "whats good or bad".

23rd Jun, 2007 - 1:11am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex Games - Page 11

Kozak:

I think the American culture as a whole has a lot of growing to do before its ready for the full uncut versions or even the cut versions.

Not sure if I follow you here. Are you indirectly saying those who watch the whole versions are somehow "mature" and "ready" for it? spock.gif

23rd Jun, 2007 - 2:49am / Post ID: #

Violence & Sex Games Computer Issues & Video Gaming - Page 11

No, America is still a young "child" compared to the rest of the world. We have no culture, sense of self we are just a big pot filled with many different ethic backrounds. This in most ways this drives us apart as each culture forms "clicks" in the US. As a nation we need to grow up and grow to be one.

Respect/Honor is more what I am poking at. We don't have roots as a nation, well at least we don't act as we do. Except when horrible things happen we finally break down these walls we set up between the cultures and unify. In my humble opinion the kids these days don't think twice before speaking back to their grandparents. And its this lack of respect/honor that makes these video games/movies such a big deal here in the states. And the media doesn't help this at all.

Growing up if we did something wrong at a friends house the parent there spanked us, then when you get home you knew another spanking was on the way. The media has pushed discipline to the point if you look at your kid wrong in Wal-mart,
where you are buying this game for your kid, child services will meet you at your front door when you get home and start an investigation.

Reconcile Edited: Kozak on 23rd Jun, 2007 - 3:03am

Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Violence & Sex in Games

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,