Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View - Page 4 of 22

I personally also think that marriage is a - Page 4 - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 15th Jan, 2005 - 8:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (22) »
Same Sex Marriage - Religious View Gay Marriage & Religion - As various countries arouns the world legalize same sex marriage how does it affect your religious view point?
Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View Related Information to Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View

Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View
A Friend

Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View - Page 4

Yes you are correct it was in California. I believe that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of god. That "the man is not without the woman, nor the woman without the man in christ". I believe it goes back to the very first commandment ever given to Mankind. To multiply and replenish the earth. To raise up seed unto the lord in righteousness. However I do not harbor any harsh or negative feeling for those who are gay. All of us have different challenges in our life. Mine are different from yours. So I love the people but do not like the sin itself.

Post Date: 19th Oct, 2004 - 1:59pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

View Religious Marriage Sex - Homosexuality

The presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church quickly expressed regret for the turmoil set off by the consecration of V. Gene Robinson as bishop of New Hampshire but did not apologize for the church's decision to confirm the appointment.
The commission, led by Irish Anglican leader Robin Eames, stopped far short of demands from conservatives to expel the U.S. church and made no recommendations about whether Robinson should be removed.
It urged the Episcopal Church to refrain from promoting any other clergy living in a homosexual union and proposed that the 38 national churches constituting the Anglican Communion sign a covenant expressing their support for what it called current Anglican teachings.
The report also called on conservative bishops - including some from Africa - who have offered to forge relationships with disaffected Episcopal congregations to desist from such activities, apologize and affirm their desire to remain within the Anglican Communion.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...99287%2C00.html

Post Date: 14th Jan, 2005 - 1:38am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View Beliefs Religious General

Here is an essay I wrote freshman year of high school (It's too long so I'm dividing it into parts):

Gay Marriage-Why not?
Recently, there has been an enormous controversy over the legalization of gay marriage. The advocates of gay marriage believe it is their right and freedom to make a permanent commitment to another person, and that their sexual preference is irrelevant. Those who oppose gay marriage suggest that the Constitutional right of marriage was intended only for a man and a woman. Yet even with this claim, I still do not see why people who oppose gay marriage continue to do so; why should they care about another persons actions that cause harm to no one, and bring the couple happiness?
Growing up, my family and I have been very close to a homosexual couple that lives on my street. They treat us as family, and, more recently, two more gay couples have moved onto my street. It became clear to me that although none of them are married, we think of them and their commitment to one another no differently than any married, straight couple. They have made the same commitment to each other as is commonly done in marriage, but they are not allowed to do so legally. It puzzles me as to why people would deny gays in America the happiness of an official marriage, even though they are as deserving as any other couple.
There are many arguments people blindly make out of ignorance against gay marriage, but they are all easily shown to be untrue or unable to be legitimately proven. The main argument I hear is that marriage is for procreation and thus is intended between a man and a woman. I become upset at this because who gave marriage that definition? The act of marriage is between two people, regardless of gender or sexual preference, to strengthen their relationship and commitment to one another. Also, if marriage is used for procreation only, then why are infertile couples allowed to marry? Why are older women who can't bear children any longer allowed to marry? People use these arguments as excuses to avoid the real reasons why they are against gay marriage-that they are uncomfortable with the idea of homosexuality, same-sex marriage, and may find it repulsive, or it is against their religion. Unfortunately, this shows the ignorance of many Americans.
The fact that religion even becomes an issue in this controversy astounds me. In American society, we have freedom of religion, and so religious beliefs cannot be used to influence federal decisions. Christians believe it is written in the Bible that homosexuality is immoral, but I believe that this contradicts the teachings of Christianity. I have learned that most homosexuals do not choose to be gay; it is part of their genetic makeup. They believe they have no choice in being sexually attracted to members of the same sex. So how can they be sinning against God if it is not a choice, meaning God must have made them the way they are? Many Catholics oppose gay marriage-doesn't the word Catholic mean "open to all?" The last time I checked, the word "all" means everyone, which would include homosexuals.
Another argument often made without any information to support it is that gay couples create a poor environment for raising children. Being a healthy, heterosexual child that had a gay couple so close they were considered uncles, I know how ridiculous this claim is. They played a major role in my upbringing, taking care of me when my parents were out of town, as well as taking me on vacation with them. In my short 15 years, I have probably spent more time with gays than most people, including those who are opposed to gays and gay marriage, even though they are most likely much older and more experienced. How can someone even think to make an anti-gay claim if they were not around gays when they were growing up, or if they still do not know many gays as adults? Do they think they are not people just like them? In fact, having a gay couple assist in a child's upbringing is a better environment than one that lacks the diversity that I grew up with. It helps you become less susceptible to discrimination, and helps you become a better person. I have learned to speak to anyone, no matter how different they are, and now I barely notice differences in people, no matter how large or obvious they seem to others.
Other arguments against gay marriage are that same-sex marriage can threaten the traditional institution of marriage. This argument I cannot comprehend. How can allowing more people to marry threaten the institution? The only way to threaten the practice of marriage is to restrict the right to certain people, which is what is being done against the gay community. And as for marriage being a sacred tradition, many times change is for the better. There are countless examples throughout all of history that many traditions are changed for a benefit, like the 'traditional" institution of slavery in America.

14th Jan, 2005 - 4:51am / Post ID: #

Page 4 View Religious Marriage Sex - Homosexuality

Straker, first I must say that your essay was very well written. I do however disagree with what you have to say but I won't try to respond to all that I disagree with and why, because that would take too long. What I will ask is this.

I have learned that most homosexuals do not choose to be gay; it is part of their genetic makeup

Where have you learned this? I have done some research on what scientists in the worldwide community have to say and none that I have seen have stated without a doubt that being gay is genetic. In fact, tests and studies have shown the opposite. If genetics has anything to do with being gay, then how can one explain why identical twins, who share the same genetic makeup, can have one of them being gay and not the other?

Post Date: 15th Jan, 2005 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

A Friend

View Religious Marriage Sex - Homosexuality

Here is the second part of the essay--your question is partially answered within it, but there is homosexuality in nature and in the wild. I do not believe that animals randomly choose to be gay. As for twins, they are not 100% genetically identical, but they are 99%. Another factor which I do not believe I mention is the childhood experiences and parental guiding one recieved. Twins do have different experiences (with parents or friends), and this could lead to homosexuality at an early age. But, I have had personal conversations with gay couples on my street, and while I did not blatantly ask them if they choose to live the lifestyle they do, they did hint at it. I know that I do not choose to be heterosexual--I just am. Could you turn gay if you wanted to? I know that I could not, because I am not attracted to other members of the male sex. Although this is not very factual or reliable information, it is worth noting, and we just do not have the scientific material to be able to prove if there is a "gay gene" in one's genetic makeup. Here is the 2nd part of the essay:

In Denmark, and lately other countries, gay marriage is starting to become legalized. So far, people have claimed that it has done no harm to society, but actually made it stronger! People that claim that the effects of gay marriage on society will be unknown until tried, only have to look at any one of these examples. This also holds true for any who believe that the legalization of gay marriage will lead us down a 'slippery slope" towards many undesirable consequences such as polygamy (having more than one spouse). Although we are a different country and may have slightly different results, in my opinion, the overall effects of allowing gays to marry will remain the same.
In response to all accusations against gay marriage, all I have to say is this-"Why do you even care?" In response to my query, I always receive a personal opinion about how it is gross or unnatural. Even in the wild, there is homosexuality. If people were less focused on others, and paid attention to their own actions, and if everyone could make just one thing that benefits everyone, our nation and community would be a better, stronger place to live. But, people will do anything to become wrapped up in a controversy, even if they do not know one fact about either side. Because of this, we have to struggle just to embrace equality of all minorities. I become frustrated at these narrow-minded people because all I can think of when they spout their views is their ignorance and nosiness. It is not as if gay people want to attract this much attention to themselves-they want others to stay out of their personal business just as most people do. Unfortunately, this simple concept seems to be too complicated for many people to comprehend.
I personally know about six gay couples, and see them as people, no different than you or me. They have the same lifestyle, working for a living, and all they want to do is to be treated with equality, like any of us would like to be treated. If people believe they have the right to rob gays of marriage, wouldn't that mean gays should have the right to rob heterosexuals of their freedom of speech, or any other right they innately have?
Our society allows an old man to marry a young woman, or an old woman to marry a young man, but it is not acceptable for two members of the same sex to marry? Is this kind of marriage any more absurd than gay marriage? For me, and most of the people I know, the immoral marriage between people over 30 years apart, is worse than two gay individuals getting married.
Gay marriage should be no different than the marriage between a man and a woman. The divorce rates between heterosexuals are already skyrocketing, and many gays have stronger relationships than heterosexual couples. A gay couple is forced to go through much more difficulties and struggles, and, if the couple survives, their relationship can become even stronger. Of course, homosexual relationships are not perfect. Just like many heterosexual relationships, problems occur which can lead to divorce. But, overall, gay couples tend to have a lower rate of separating than straight couples. With this in mind, homosexual couples are actually more fit to marry than many heterosexual couples.
I think that people do not realize the difficulty it is to be openly gay in a heterosexual society. Time and time again they fall victim to prejudice and discrimination, all due to the ignorance and fear of the general public. There is nothing wrong with gay marriage, and if you think you found a reason as to why it is wrong, please tell me. I would love to hear you ramble on pointlessly.

15th Jan, 2005 - 6:10am / Post ID: #

I mostly agree with most of what Straker had to say. Politically, there is nothing wrong with two people of the same sex marrying each other. It does not hurt anyone, and in fact it makes the two if them happier. The only thing is, many marriages are not only under the law, but god as well. and some say gay marriage is religiously immoral. That is not my territory and I cannot argue about that.

If genetics has anything to do with being gay, then how can one explain why identical twins, who share the same genetic makeup, can have one of them being gay and not the other?

For one thing, as straker says, twins are not *exactly* identical to each other. Homosexuality may be the variance between them. But that is not very likely to occur. Perhaps, though, one is merely trying to mask that trait of his.

I lean towards the opinion that homosexuals are born with that quality, though there are no solid proofs. To be more precise, I do not think one *chooses* to go that lain. He may not be born with it; It may be something he gets during puberty - but If he does choose to like men, then he is not homosexual. He is a confused heterosexual. whatever the cause, I think it is irreversible. The reason I think so is because while love may be a matter of choice, lust isn't. Lust is only hormones which you have no control over - and I think homosexuality is defined on lust.

15th Jan, 2005 - 3:51pm / Post ID: #

Homosexuality - Sex Marriage Religious View - Page 4

Again, I have to disagree:

Straker: As for twins, they are not 100% genetically identical, but they are 99%

I haven't read this anywhere. Everything I have seen indicates that twins are 100% genetically identical. Genes and physical appearance are two different things, so identical twins can have some differing physical traits, but with respect to genes, they are 100% identical. Here are quotes from scientific websites. Search as many as you want, they will all point to the same:

https://sun.science.wayne.edu/~wpoff/cor/gro/issuwhat.html

How do we know? - the twin studies
To estimate the relative contribution of genes and environment, researchers have studied twins - both identical twins and nonidentical (fraternal) twins - who have been reared together or who were separated shortly after birth and reared apart. Identical twins share 100% of their genetic makeup, whereas fraternal twins only share an average of 50% of their genetic makeup
Identical twins are genetically the same -- but the laws of genetics don't completely determine your physical appearance..
Identical twins are very helpful to researchers since they both have the exact same genetic code

Reconcile Edited: malexander on 15th Jan, 2005 - 3:52pm

15th Jan, 2005 - 8:18pm / Post ID: #

Homosexuality - Sex Marriage Religious View General Religious Beliefs - Page 4

I personally also think that marriage is a bond between two people that love each other and therefore if two people love each, they should be allowed to form that bond, no matter what gender or age.

Gender, like beauty, is only skin-deep. And isn't the bond of marriage a bond of spiritual, not physical nature? Shouldn't two souls that decide to form such an eternal bond be allowed to do so, no matter what their current physical body looks like?

Oh, and regarding the part in the bible where it says that homosexuality is an "abomination" (Leviticus 18:22). My reverend once pointed us to an Internet site that had the following letter on it. (I hope no one is offended by this, it certainly was not my intention)

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (22) »
Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,