Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View - Page 9 of 22

There are some countries today where same-sex - Page 9 - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 26th Jan, 2005 - 10:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 22 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...Latest (22) »
Same Sex Marriage - Religious View Gay Marriage & Religion - As various countries arouns the world legalize same sex marriage how does it affect your religious view point?
Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View Related Information to Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View

Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View
A Friend

Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View - Page 9

I planed to keep out of this one but I can not. How do you call people that try by all means to enforce their beliefs on other people? If my religion does not encourage gay marriage then it should not exist because is agains my moral beliefs? Get over it ! Gay marriage is the public recognition of two person's love. As simple as that. And any discrimination ( of any kind ) will become more difficult to impose in the future, as people grow more aware avery day of this kind of behavior...so if one did not succeed to stop gay marriage yet, than I have a bad news for him/her as the events will develope from now on agains his/her wishes.

Forgive my aggressiveness but this is how I think on the subject.

25th Jan, 2005 - 2:42pm / Post ID: #

View Religious Marriage Sex - Homosexuality

If my religion does not encourage gay marriage then it should not exist because is agains my moral beliefs? Get over it !

Some of my reasons for opposing gay marriage are religious, but even if I were not a religious person, the act of redefining the legal definition of marriage is socially dangerous and legally disastrous. I have already stated that I am in favor of some type of an alternative 'civil union' concept, some completely secular legal partnership that would serve the purpose of "public recognition of two person's love," as you put it.

...so if one did not succeed to stop gay marriage yet, than I have a bad news for him/her as the events will develope from now on agains his/her wishes.

I know that I will not be able to stop gay marriage. I am confident that within my lifetime, homosexuality will become more and more 'mainstream,' and that the courts will eventually not stand in the way of gay marriage. The courts already presume to create law, rather than being content to enforce it. However, if I can make my voice heard, along with others in the current American moral majority, that disastrous time may be delayed. I do not have a problem with homosexual people - I have a problem with homosexuality. It is a spiritual cancer and a social malady.

It interests me that the same people who loudly proclaim Darwinism are often the same ones who fight loudly for homosexual marriage. Evolution would call homosexuality a deviant practice, an unnatural mutation. So it is. Homosexuality cannot produce children, is not an ideal environment to raise children, and therefore is not intended by evolution, for evolution is based completely on reproduction.

Of more concern than the theories of men, however, gay marriage is contrary to the teachings of God. Who am I to stand complacently and watch the moral decay of my people? I do not hate homosexual people, but if I actually know it's not right, I must speak out against homosexual marriage.

Reconcile Edited: howe6079 on 25th Jan, 2005 - 2:43pm

25th Jan, 2005 - 4:04pm / Post ID: #

Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View Beliefs Religious General

QUOTE (howe6079 @ 25-Jan 05, 3:42 PM)
Homosexuality cannot produce children, is not an ideal environment to raise children, and therefore is not intended by evolution, for evolution is based completely on reproduction.

But then, a marriage in which one or both partners are sterile can't produce children either, should a marriage like that be forbidden as well?

What I also don't understand, is that certain passage of the bible, for example the one that says that homosexuality is an abomination (Leviticus 18, 22) are interpreted so literally, but then others, like Leviticus 19, 27 are usually completely ignored. You don't see somebody who has his hair or beard trimmed being forbidden to marry someone.

25th Jan, 2005 - 7:29pm / Post ID: #

Page 9 View Religious Marriage Sex - Homosexuality

You don't see somebody who has his hair or beard trimmed being forbidden to marry someone.

Point taken. However, my religious views on the subject are not dictated by ancient scripture so much as modern revelation. I won't go off and preach too much about the Church and where I get my spiritual information, but to answer this point, I need to give a bit of background, so bear with me for a paragraph.

One of the basic beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is continuing revelation from God - a complete restoration of Christ's original gospel and Church in modern times. Therefore, we believe in modern Prophets and Apostles who teach under the direction of Christ, and in the Holy Ghost, who can give each of us personal revelation for our lives and circumstances. THEREFORE, we don't have to rely solely on the Biblical account - the Lord has re-revealed and clarified every tenet of his gospel in our time.

Thus, for me, homosexuality is not wrong only because of the Bible's description of Sodom and Gomorrah; it is wrong because living Prophets and Apostles have warned against it. Yet, even their words would not have been enough to convince me if I had not prayed and received a spiritual confirmation of the doctrine they taught. This is my overriding personal, moral reason to oppose homosexuality.

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2005 - 3:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

View Religious Marriage Sex - Homosexuality

First off, I would like to thank howe for having the courage to state his views as they really are. This debate will rage for years because of what it really is. The argument is, in reality, the beliefs of men versus the statutes of the Bible(at least in America). Howe, by virtue of what he believes, cannot possibly except homosexual marriage as right, or even acceptable. If you feel that homosexuality is sin in the eyes of God, then you cannot be tolerant of it. Its unfair to assassinate some ones opinion as skewed because it is based on religion. They can no more "get over it" than I can get over my beliefs. My opinion is based on the ideals that being gay harms no one, and that marriage can still be defined as between two people with no sex being defined. That would prevent problems with multiple spouses. I am not sure that was ever even a real threat to our society. Allowing gay marriage certainly is not leading down a path to allow incest. Gay marriage doesn't allow under age minors to me exploited in any way. Incest and exploitation of minors has been used for a while in an argument against gays. There is no need to link being gay to every kind of sexual perversion known to man. They all come from different situations that create them. The argument is what it is, do you believe the Bible. or do you follow a different creed? I don't follow the Bible, so I find nothing wrong with gay marriage. Howe specifically stated that his beliefs are based on Gods law. I can sincerely respect that.

26th Jan, 2005 - 5:20pm / Post ID: #

Well, the aspects about incest don't necessarily have to do with underage sexual activities.

If homosexual marriage is allowed - which is a huge change from the thousands-year-old definition of marriage, then all of the social constraints against plural marriage, incestuous marriage, and a host of other "different" marriage customs become moot.

If it is ok for two men to get married, as they are homosexual, then is there any reason that two brothers (same mother and father) shouldn't get married? If so, why not? If two brothers can get married, why not a brother and a sister? We have already come to the conclusion that anyone who is in love should be allowed to get married, despite thousands of years of social proscriptions against those forms. Remember, the ability, inability, or any other aspect of procreation CANNOT be used as an argument in this discussion. The pro-gay marriage stance specifically states this.

Later on, there will be those (currently most active in the homosexual community) that will argue that children have the rights and abilities to decide for themselves whether or not they want to have sexual relations and to get married. Thus a time could easily come when the same arguments that have successfully degraded the marriage definitions will be used to allow ever lower ages of consent. When I was a youth, it was 18. Now it is 16 in most states. Why not 14, 12, 10? There are organized groups out there arguing for this very thing, right now.

What about the guy who really, really loves his dog? The arguments about procreation don't have ANY relevance to this part of the discussion. Will society allow him to marry his dog, and provide legal protections? Again, there are organized groups out there that would push for this status change.

Yes, slippery-slope arguments can be shaky. However, we have already seen this argument gaining ground in the US, today. And none of the arguments that I have presented have anything at all to do with religion.

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2005 - 9:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Homosexuality - Sex Marriage Religious View - Page 9

QUOTE (Nighthawk @ 26-Jan 05, 12:20 PM)
Thus a time could easily come when the same arguments that have successfully degraded the marriage definitions will be used to allow ever lower ages of consent. When I was a youth, it was 18. Now it is 16 in most states. Why not 14, 12, 10?

It has been less than 200 years of human history since this was excepted. The thousands of years old definition of marriage does not include age. Fourteen used to be a perfectly acceptable age to marry off your daughter in a pre-arranged marriage to an older, more established man.

Laws of family intermarriage do not relate to homosexuality because if marriage in general led to it, then why wouldn't man to woman marriage lead to brother and sister marriage being eacceptable Its not fair to make that jump that any change to marriage requirements would lead, necessarily, to all kinds of crazy marriage types. Gay marriage ddoesn'tlead to people marrying dogs being acceptable. Gay marriage ddoesn'tlead to lower the age of marriage. Gay marriage leds to same sex marriage. Its an unfair leap to make that arargumenthat gay marriage opens the door to types of perversion that are not related to being gay. There is absolutely no grounds to make this claim. Since gay marriage has never been legal, the fact is that no one has any idea what would happen.

Some of theargumentss against gay marriage cant be valid. First off, the comment was made that why wouldn't it be acceptable to if a person really loved his dog? Well, being gaisn'tnt illegalbestialityty is. That marriage would violate a law that first outlaws the act of "loving" your dog.
Another aargumentsaid something about marrying inside your family. That toocouldn'tt happen because the act of sexually being with one of your family members, outside your spouse, is also already illegal. The age of marriage has already been discussed. Once again, the aargumentfalls to one principle, morals. If the aargumentis about morals, then we must consider that if its alright to legislate morality in one area, why not others? And whose morals do we chose? There are sections of the christian church that oordaingays and women for the ministry. So if who's morals means christian morals, then which sect of christianity has the right morals?

And finally, not all people consider gay marriage a degradation of marriage definitions. I consider it a progression of human rights. When a man chooses to be gay, he has already offended and considered to have sinned by the church. Marriage doesn't change his preference, I say let him marry who ever he wants. It wont bother me in the slightest.

26th Jan, 2005 - 10:57pm / Post ID: #

Homosexuality - Sex Marriage Religious View General Religious Beliefs - Page 9

There are some countries today where same-sex marriages are already legal, Germany for example. It has now been legal for almost 4 years and none of the things Nighthawk mentioned have occured.

Thank you for your continued support of our Community.

> TOPIC: Homosexuality - Same Sex Marriage - Religious View

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,