What Makes A Good Youth Worker?

What Good Youth Worker - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 1st Oct, 2007 - 9:55am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 9th Jan, 2004 - 5:22am / Post ID: #

A Friend

In my opinion, I think what makes a good youth worker can no longer be those people who have a heart for kids. Many people have a heart for kids but not many adults have 'time' for kids with jobs and their own family. The advantage a young adult has in being a youth leader is that there are no major time commitments for this person when compared to adults.

Now here is my question to you: How can teens minister to other teens better than adults? Are there any times when adults can minister to teens better? What attributes make a "perfect" youth worker?

Sponsored Links:
9th Jan, 2004 - 5:16pm / Post ID: #

Worker Youth Good Makes What

Well, I think teens do have time commitments just like adults. Teens are full time students, and many also play sports after school and often also hold part time jobs so I don't see time commitments as an advantage for teens over adults.

I think both have something unique to offer. Teens will probably listen and believe other teens more readily than they will an adult because they think adults are out of touch with their lives. Yet adults do have an advantage called experience. Experience really is important in life.

I think an adult can be a good teen leader if they are truly caring about the teen. It is important that this adult not try to be a parent to the teens but more a mentor and friend.

Post Date: 20th Sep, 2005 - 5:09pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

What Makes A Good Youth Worker? Beliefs Religious General

I see pro's and con's to both. I agree with what funbikerchick stated that teens are, sometimes, more likely to take advice from their peers. Adults do have the upperhand of experience, though.

I don't necessarily agree that we don't need people who have a heart for youth and kids, because if a person is working in the youth department without that love for the young, then nothing will be accomplished.

I also don't think that just because an older adult has a family and a job means they don't have time for overseeing a youth program. In fact, the most effective youth ministers I have seen were those with families of their own.

The problem with young adults leading the youth, is that sometimes they aren't much older than the youth themselves. That creates problems. When I was attending a church years ago as a youth, we had a young youth pastor come into the church. He was a good looking guy, and most of the girls in the youth became obsessed with him. This created a lot of conflict. Plus, because of the obsession of the younger girls, those of us who were older could never really utilize our youth pastor. It was a safety issue for him.

I think a "good" youth leader(s), is a person who can get the message of God across to the young ones in a way that they can relate and use in their everyday lives. He/she makes it fun and an enjoyable experience for everybody. I believe there should be at least one major male leader and one major female leader, as well. Boys and girls both need somebody they can open up to.

25th Nov, 2005 - 5:47am / Post ID: #

I also have to agree that both a teen or an adult each has it's advantages. But personally I believe that a teen or young adult has a stronger connection to work within than an adult would. A teen facing the same decisions in life, at the same stage in their life, can certainly relate to someone whom might be having difficulty with their spiritual self. So many times I have seen peer pressure gradually remove a body from the church. Peer pressure works both ways. Not so much pressuring someone to stay in church, but to be on the same level to help guide someone can much more easily be accomplished by a peer. I'm interested to see opposite opinions on this matter also.

1st Oct, 2007 - 9:55am / Post ID: #

I also believe that both a teenager and an adult have something to offer, as they both see things from a different stance. One has the maturity and years behind them, whilst the other as a teenager themselves, have the ability to help another teenager through their problems.
Sometimes, you'll find that a teenager won't approach an adult, but will only speak to another teenager.

My Son does quite a bit of Church youth work, and quite a few of the younger teenagers will readily come to him to discuss something that they see as a problem in their lives.

Basically though, I'd say that a good youth worker, is already halfway there if they're prepared to sit and listen, without passing judgement regardless of the leaders age!

> TOPIC: What Makes A Good Youth Worker?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,