Genealogy Research: How Far Back? - Page 5 of 7

Name: Ladonnalea Country: Title: Mrs Comments: - Page 5 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 18th Jun, 2012 - 3:20pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Some people have claimed to go back as far as Adam.
Post Date: 19th Apr, 2010 - 7:57pm / Post ID: #

Genealogy Research: How Far Back?
A Friend

Genealogy Research: How Far Back? - Page 5

My wife is French Canadian. If you can get back to 1900 then there are a series of books which will take you all the way back to when your family arrived from France and often it will say where they came from in France.
French Canadian genealogy is so easy. When I try to do Irish genealogy it is so much tougher you feel like you're getting nowhere.
As to people who can trace themselves back to Adam, they are misguided. It's impossible. If you have a family legend saying you are related to someone famous from history it is always best to take that with a grain of salt and document as much as you can but also say that this is a family legend or tradtion.

Sponsored Links:
15th Aug, 2010 - 8:26pm / Post ID: #

Back How Research Genealogy

Just my first time here on this topic. I am a genealogy consultant, director, have spoken at many conferences etc.

At one time I spent three hours driving the LDS church manager of the Genealogy department to his destination (he was our guest speaker). We both are vegetarians so we had a lot in common. In any case at the end of his talk, during a F & Q period a brother mentioned that he had gone back to Adam with his genealogy.

The reply was this: There has never been anybody, nor will there by anybody able to go back to Adam until we reach that period where the info will be revealed. The records are just not in existence anymore.

Personally I sit in 1540 and it becomes increasingly more difficult. In fact I challenge the accuracy of anybody that can go back to 800-900 AD let alone Adam.

Yes, I have seen these pedigrees on the walls of peoples rooms, but ask them for the source document copies, like birth certificates or anything that support any of the data and well they cannot provide it .......

Sorry. But there is enough work to do to keep us busy. Stuck? Just go wide, after all we are all of the same family.

Post Date: 13th Sep, 2010 - 3:36am / Post ID: #

Genealogy Research: How Far Back? Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

Name: Speedstan

Comments: Sorry, jstrotter, I don't buy into certain parts of your fanciful geography. I have been researching my own family, and on both sides of our family we have roots in the Norman ducal line, and if you're a serious skeptic, you should know that there's a lot of conjecture when you start claiming for sure that you know the ancestors of individuals such as Rollo, Poppa, et. Al. I might be able to buy into the Frankish / Sicambri lineage, but serious scholars know that the alleged Trojan ancestry of the Sicambri was merely conjecture on the part of Frankish scholars several centuries after wards. When you start into the whole claims of Biblical descendancy, then you are letting your own religious beliefs (based on FAITH, not objective, verifiable FACTS) get in the way. [..]

Just as an aside to my last post, I can pretty much confirm 35 generations for my paternal-maternal-great-grandfather, whose ancestors include members of the Wessex, Norman, Plantagenet, and Frankish royal lines (meanwhile, I am struggling at 6 generations on my father's side of the family). I can possibly trace another 12-15 generations back but only on the loosest conjecture, which wouldn't be honest. You will get a lot more respect from other genealogists if you assist them with solid researched info instead of trying to wow them with fanciful constructs like claiming you can trace your family "back to Adam"...

13th Sep, 2010 - 9:14pm / Post ID: #

Page 5 Back How Research Genealogy

I see I have confused or maybe annoyed some by my "claims". I understand that getting back to Adam and Eve holds no real weight, or being related to far back famous people. All I was saying is that I was able to get an unbroken connection from me to Adam and Eve on New Family Search and also found other cool connections as well. To be honest I have heard it is difficult if not impossible to get past even the Dark Ages as few groups even know how to write at that time. I"m sorry for being quick to show my "finds", I just found it cool is all. smile.gif
I must admit that the "Odin and Frigg of Asgard/East Eurape/Asia" was most interesting to me, as I am a huge fan of Mythology.

Post Date: 22nd Feb, 2011 - 10:34pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Back How Research Genealogy

On my Mothers side I can go back to the American Civil War- My Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather emigrated from County Kerry Ireland to NYC. From there he signed up as a Private in the Union Army, and straight off to the front lines in Tennessee.

On my Fathers side I only had to go back one generation- My Father's Father came to America from Stockholm, Sweden.

Post Date: 25th Feb, 2012 - 10:17pm / Post ID: #

Name: Dawn

Title: JSTROTTER Genealogy

Comments: Hello James, I hope that you are doing well. Though we have never met I did go to high school in La. With your mom. Looks like you have been busy with researching the family history! Take care.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 24th Mar, 2012 - 5:21pm / Post ID: #

Genealogy Research How Back - Page 5

Name: Ellen

Title: Generations

Comments: I came across your website and it really helped me fill in some gaps in my ancestry - especially BC. There seems to be a gap between Dara (Darda) and Zarah. I have:

Dara 1460-1414 and
Zarah 1737-1638.

Any ideas?

Post Date: 18th Jun, 2012 - 3:20pm / Post ID: #

Genealogy Research How Back Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 5

Name: Ladonnalea

Title: Mrs

Comments: I have many of the kings in my line. Where are you getting the info from? Can I get a copy [..]? Thank you

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Genealogy Research: How Far Back?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,