Marriage Through Your Mission - Page 4 of 5

Name: Smith Country: Comments: It doesn't - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Aug, 2010 - 11:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Post Date: 6th Apr, 2004 - 4:23pm / Post ID: #

Marriage Through Your Mission
A Friend

Marriage Through Your Mission - Page 4

This subject was brought up more than once in mission/zone conferences. My first mission president said no missionary will receive a witness from the spirit while on his mission of an eternal companion. I think this may have been a result of some missionary getting engaged and defending his action by saying he got confirmation from the Holy Ghost that this girl was the one for him.

My second mission president said he was personally aware of 25 missionaries from the US who had married girls from Latin America they had met on their missions. All but one of these ended in divorce. His point was that marriage is difficult enough with people from the same backgrounds, cultures etc. It just adds to the problems when you throw in more differences such as nationality etc.

On the other hand, my nephew returned to Mexico and married a girl he baptized on his mission. They have been together for three years and all seems to be going well for them.

Pres. Harold B. Lee met his wife while serving a mission and returned to marry her.

I knew a few girls in Argentina I'm sure I could have been happy with. But it's not easy to start a romance from a distance of 6,000 miles once you return home.

Sponsored Links:
6th Apr, 2004 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

Mission Your Marriage

Pres. Harold B. Lee met his wife while serving a mission and returned to marry her.

I was not aware of that. Do you have a link to the story or quote or article?

Post Date: 7th Apr, 2004 - 6:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Marriage Through Your Mission Studies Doctrine Mormon

I remember reading that years ago. I just did a search and found a bio of his life where it mentions he met his wife on his mission. Here is the link. The info is in the second to last paragraph.

https://www.familyforever.com/temples/prophets/hblee.htm

7th Apr, 2004 - 9:26pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Mission Your Marriage

Based on the above referrence:

President Lee found great pleasure, and also experienced sorrows, in his family. In 1923 he married Fern Lucinda Tanner, whom he first met in the Western States Mission. To them were born two daughters, Maurine and Helen. They had ten grandchildren. Fern died September 24, 1962, and Maurine died shortly thereafter, making this a difficult period in President Lee's life. He married Freda Johanna (Joan) Jensen, an educator, on June 17, 1963.

Thanks!

Offtopic but,
I think you are worthy of 'Mature' status, you will now see boards that were not apparent before. Please read the 'README' thread in each for specific rules. Also, please do update your profile, maybe you can select an avatar to give you more character wink.gif

Post Date: 23rd Apr, 2004 - 12:03am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mission Your Marriage

I know a married couple who went to the same mission, but I'm not sure that they met each other. I've known people who went to the same mission and had heard of each other and then dated and got married later on, but I think it would be extremely difficult to concentrate on a mission if you were daydreaming about one of the other missionaries/members/nonmembers. It would be hard enough to have someone back home to think about.

23rd Apr, 2004 - 12:34am / Post ID: #

but I think it would be extremely difficult to concentrate on a mission if you were daydreaming about one of the other missionaries/members/nonmembers. It would be hard enough to have someone back home to think about.

Exactly! I don't think a missionary who is interested in someone in the mission field is able to concentrate 100% in the work, compared to someone who tries his/her best to keep the focus on the mission. We are humans and is natural we feel attracted to people of the opposite sex, even in the mission, the point is what you plan to do with that feeling during the mission!.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th May, 2004 - 2:15am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Marriage Your Mission - Page 4

Whew, this is always a touchy subject.

I had one companion, who vowed that he would never marry a girl from the mission. Mostly this vow was taken because of another companion we both served with who spent hours on the phone with some of the sister missionaries. Anyway, he started dating a sister missionary who had served in our mission, and married her about 9 months after he returned home.

In his case at least, it seems like it was the right thing. After all, marriage is esential for salvation, while a mission isn't. Although I must admit that it was really strange to see an Elder and a Sister that I had served with kneeling across the alter holding hands.

In my case I did have one member sister try flirting with me, fortunately I can't flirt to save my life, even if I had wanted to, so that didn't develop into anything. If I ran into her again I might be interested, although to tell the truth having gone on exchanges with her father I don't think I would want to marry into her family.

So I guess my feelings on the subject are that it's fine and dandy for others, but I wouldn't do it myself.

Post Date: 3rd Aug, 2010 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

Marriage Your Mission Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

Name: Smith

Comments: It doesn't matter what others think. If you know you or your spouse did not do anything during your mission then what comes after is just gossip for everyone else who likes to get into the business of others.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Marriage Through Your Mission

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,