LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays - Page 3 of 42

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 19-Dec 03, 1:30 PM) I am - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 20th Dec, 2003 - 12:14am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (42) »

?
Poll: What are your MAIN thoughts about Gays, Gay Marriage and Mormon Gays?
  God has explicitly condemned being gay as an abomination       26.92%
  God will not allow you to be gay if it is against his will       11.54%
  You are not born gay so you should not be gay       3.85%
  Gay attraction and homosexual acts are one and the same       3.85%
  Sometimes through unfortunate experiences people become gay       3.85%
  There is a difference between gay attraction and the act       11.54%
  You may have temptations but they should be controlled       7.69%
  People might have gay attraction but need to learn the right way       7.69%
  Gay or not we should show love and not judge       23.08%
Total Votes: 26
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Mormon Homosexuality Poster says, "At first I was against it because of the sanctity of marriage and it's eternal purpose, but now I am not sure. I agree that a Temple marriage can only be between male and female. This is because of the religious sanctity of marriage for eternity, for propogation and simply because that is how God intended it. However, the Church recognizes the validity of civil marriages that are only for this life and not eternity, even though this is not how God intended it. "Your view is... ?" Other interests: Gay and serve a mission? Boyd K. Packer's talk about same sex attraction.
LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays Related Information to LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays
24th Nov, 2003 - 7:41pm / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays - Page 3

It isn't so much that they are trying to use the Church to justify homosexuality as it is that they don't want people to judge them for taking a stand against it. So, instead of saying that it is wrong for people of the same sex to engage in sexual activity they try to down play it and say it is wrong just because the people aren't married. So, what they are saying is "hey we aren't judging you for being homosexual, we simply don't believe it is o.k. for anyone to have sex if they are not married. Nothing against homosexuality."

Now that it appears as though, in Massachusetts anyway, it will be allowed for homosexuals to marry, these members will need to decide if they want to continue to try to have everyone like them or stand up for a true gospel principal and say it is wrong to have a sexual relationship with someone of the same sex as you are, even if you are married. It is going to force some people, at least in my area, and I doubt we are alone in it, to look at the truth of the situation and deal with it honestly.

Sponsored Links:
24th Nov, 2003 - 10:56pm / Post ID: #

Gays Mormon Marriage Gay Perspective LDS

It seems to me that maybe we need to be judgemental. Not of individuals, but of societal trends, behaviours, and institutions. This race to show how "tolerant" we are of everything has led us, as a society, to embrace an awful lot of horrible things.

As JB pointed out, homosexuality is a form of compulsive/addictive behavior. Being subject to such types of behavior, I can tell you that it isn't easy to resolve them. Most people just accept them, and try to justify them. That is all the rush to homosexual marriage is about. If they can just get "married" then society will HAVE to accept them.

I can guarantee, once there is such a thing as a "civil" marriage for homosexuals, there will be lawsuits to force religious bodies to accept them. It might or might not start with the Mormons, but the Catholics will certainly feel the brunt of such lawsuits. There will be legal pressure like you wouldn't believe. It is likely the point will come where the Church is sued because there aren't enough homosexuals represented in the upper councils of the Church.

Having said this, I will not take a political stand on the "Defense of Marriage" amendments. While I don't believe that there is any allowance for the state to solemnize marriage between practicing homosexuals, at the same time I have a difficult time justifying the state defining what is, essentially, a religious institution (marriage).

This is made even more troublesome for me because all of the Defense of Marriage actions that are proposed interfere with the valid religious practice of polygamy or plural marriage.

NightHawk

Post Date: 24th Nov, 2003 - 11:57pm / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays
A Friend

LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (Nighthawk @ Nov 24 2003, 10:56 PM)
It seems to me that maybe we need to be judgemental.  Not of individuals, but of societal trends, behaviours, and institutions.  This race to show how "tolerant" we are of everything has led us, as a society, to embrace an awful lot of horrible things.

I agree with Nighthawk on this 100 percent. I feel that we, not just LDS but all peoples, have taken this politically correct business way too far. It is past time to end it.

25th Nov, 2003 - 1:39pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Gays Mormon Marriage Gay Perspective LDS

So, what they are saying is "hey we aren't judging you for being homosexual, we simply don't believe it is o.k. for anyone to have sex if they are not married. Nothing against homosexuality."

Oh gosh, they have really issues to resolve then...hmmm what the Bishop say about all this by the way?

Post Date: 19th Dec, 2003 - 9:21pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Gays Mormon Marriage Gay Perspective LDS

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 19-Nov 03, 8:24 AM)
Also, I have been told in the past that the Church maintains that their objection to sexual activity between members of the same sex is because the law of chastity forbids sex unless you are married.  Since homosexuals couldn't marry the Church has asserted that they are simply holding homosexual couples to the same standard as they do men and women in relationships that aren't married.

Tenaheff, that is just one reason. Here are more.

[Gospel Classics: The Origin of Man By the First Presidency of the Church
From Improvement Era, Nov. 1909, 75-81]
"God created man in His own image." This is just as true of the spirit as it is of the body, which is only the clothing of the spirit, its complement-the two together constituting the soul. The spirit of man is in the form of man, and the spirits of all creatures are in the likeness of their bodies. This was plainly taught by the Prophet Joseph Smith (see D&C 77:2)

[Boyd K. Packer, "Ye Are the Temple of God," Ensign, Nov. 2000, 72]
Sunday Afternoon Session 8 October 2000
If you consent, the adversary can take control of your thoughts and lead you carefully toward a habit and to an addiction, convincing you that immoral, unnatural behavior is a fixed part of your nature.

[Spencer W. Kimball, "President Kimball Speaks Out on Morality," New Era, Nov. 1980, 39]
Homosexuality
The unholy transgression of homosexuality is either rapidly growing or tolerance is giving it wider publicity. If one has such desires and tendencies, he overcomes them the same as if he had the urge toward petting or fornication or adultery. The Lord condemns and forbids this practice with a vigor equal to his condemnation of adultery and other such sex acts. And the Church will excommunicate as readily any unrepentant addict.
Again, contrary to the belief and statement of many people, this sin, like fornication, is overcomable and forgivable, but again, only upon a deep and abiding repentance, which means total abandonment and complete transformation of thought and act.

After reading all of this and much more in my research I have come to the conclusion that homosexuality is not Natural, that it is overcomeable & forgivable, and that homosexual members of the Church who then go ahead and marry same sex partners should be excommunicated from the Church, just as President Kimball stated above.

19th Dec, 2003 - 9:30pm / Post ID: #

After reading all of this and much more in my research I have come to the conclusion that homosexuality is not Natural, that it is overcomeable & forgivable, and that homosexual members of the Church who then go ahead and marry same sex partners should be excommunicated from the Church, just as President Kimball stated above.

I mostly agree with you. I am not sure about the term "Natural" because I believe some are born homosexual. I think it is just the test they are expected to endure.

I do think they should be excommunicated for having homosexual relations. However, it is going to require people, at least in the US, to be more forthright with their objections to homosexuality. They are going to have to come out and say sex between same sex members is wrong. Period. In my part of the country that is not how most members in good standing word it. Instead they go into how it is wrong because they aren't married and so they are just holding homosexuals to the same standard they hold heterosexuals.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 19th Dec, 2003 - 9:31pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Dec, 2003 - 10:58pm / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective Gay Marriage Mormon Gays - Page 3

Over the years I have been amazed that this cannot be understood...

Lets keep in mind that there are those who practise the sacred rights of the Church and Priesthood while being physically involved with someone in this manner. They must understand that if they feel they were born this way or not that it is wrong and you cannot remain a member or missionary!

This sadly enough has been the cause of many following away. Imagine a new member coming to Church and being 'solicited' or let me use a lesser word, 'invited' for this kind of relationship by a priesthood holder, even if is not sexual it has a traumatic effect on the new member.

Post Date: 20th Dec, 2003 - 12:14am / Post ID: #

A Friend

LDS Perspective Gay Marriage Mormon Gays Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 19-Dec 03, 1:30 PM)
I am not sure about the term "Natural" because I believe some are born homosexual.

I don't believe that they can be born homosexual. Because that is saying that God made a mistake and allowed a female spirit to inhabit the form of man and vise-versa.

[Gospel Classics: The Origin of Man By the First Presidency of the Church
From Improvement Era, Nov. 1909, 75-81]
"God created man in His own image." This is just as true of the spirit as it is of the body, which is only the clothing of the spirit, its complement-the two together constituting the soul. The spirit of man is in the form of man,

Or in otherwords: The spirit of man is in the form of man, and the spirit of woman is in the form of woman.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (42) »

> TOPIC: LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,