LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays - Page 4 of 42

It's a really hard thing to discuss - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Jul, 2006 - 9:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (42) »

?
Poll: What are your MAIN thoughts about Gays, Gay Marriage and Mormon Gays?
  God has explicitly condemned being gay as an abomination       26.92%
  God will not allow you to be gay if it is against his will       11.54%
  You are not born gay so you should not be gay       3.85%
  Gay attraction and homosexual acts are one and the same       3.85%
  Sometimes through unfortunate experiences people become gay       3.85%
  There is a difference between gay attraction and the act       11.54%
  You may have temptations but they should be controlled       7.69%
  People might have gay attraction but need to learn the right way       7.69%
  Gay or not we should show love and not judge       23.08%
Total Votes: 26
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
Mormon Homosexuality Poster says, "At first I was against it because of the sanctity of marriage and it's eternal purpose, but now I am not sure. I agree that a Temple marriage can only be between male and female. This is because of the religious sanctity of marriage for eternity, for propogation and simply because that is how God intended it. However, the Church recognizes the validity of civil marriages that are only for this life and not eternity, even though this is not how God intended it. "Your view is... ?" Other interests: Gay and serve a mission? Boyd K. Packer's talk about same sex attraction.
LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays Related Information to LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays
20th Dec, 2003 - 12:19am / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays - Page 4

We have a thread that discusses whether or not a person is born homosexual. You might want to check it out because that would be the best place for us to continue that line of discussion if you want. You can find it here

Sponsored Links:
25th Dec, 2003 - 2:27pm / Post ID: #

Gays Mormon Marriage Gay Perspective LDS

I'm jumpin in here way too late. But here's my $.02: I vote Nay.

Homosexual marriage can't be condoned in any way, because homosexuality cannot be condoned. It's hard for me to accept that we've got members who believe that it's just a matter of marriage.

Roz

Offtopic but,
That gay Episcopalian bishop is setting a very scary precedent for other churches.

Post Date: 20th Feb, 2004 - 5:11am / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays
A Friend

LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays Studies Doctrine Mormon

It has taken me some time to find the articles, plus this is going to be a very long post ~ thus you are forewarned.

FarSeer writes:Homosexual marriage can't be condoned in any way, because homosexuality cannot be condoned.
I only posted a few of the many articles that I have read that reinforce to me why same sex marriages/ homosexuality are wrong.

"The Standard of Truth Has Been Erected" Boyd K. Packer, "The Standard of Truth Has Been Erected," Ensign, Nov. 2003, 24

Before we came into mortal life, we lived as spirit children of our Father in Heaven. 17 "All human beings-male and female-are created in the image of God. Each [of you] is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, [you have] a divine nature and destiny. Gender [male and female] is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose." 18 (17. See Num. 16:22; Eccl. 12:7; Heb. 12:9. 18. "The Family: A Proclamation to the World," Liahona, Oct. 1998, 24; Ensign, Nov. 1995, 102.)

Because the power to create a mortal body is essential to our happiness and exaltation, the Lord has decreed severe penalties against the immoral use of that power to beget life. 21 Satan knows that if he can corrupt the process of mating and cause men and women to degrade it in immoral acts, he will, to that degree, for them disrupt the plan of happiness. Paul taught, "God "¦ will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." 22 (21. See Jacob 3:12; D&C 42:24; D&C 104:8-9. 22. 1 Cor. 10:13.)

Some work through political, social, and legal channels to redefine morality and marriage into something unrestrained, unnatural, and forbidden. But they never can change the design which has governed human life and happiness from the beginning. The deceiver preys upon some passion or tendency or weakness. He convinces them that the condition cannot be changed and recruits them for activities for which they never would volunteer.

Elder Richard G. Scott: "Within the enduring covenant of marriage, the Lord permits husband and wife the expression of the sacred procreative powers in all their loveliness and beauty within the bounds He has set. One purpose of this private, sacred, intimate experience is to provide the physical bodies for the spirits Father in Heaven wants to experience mortality. Another reason for these powerful and beautiful feelings of love is to bind husband and wife together in loyalty, fidelity, consideration of each other, and common purpose.

"However, those intimate acts are forbidden by the Lord outside the enduring commitment of marriage because they undermine His purposes. Within the sacred covenant of marriage, such relationships are according to His plan. When experienced any other way, they are against His will. They cause serious emotional and spiritual harm. Even though participants do not realize that is happening now, they will later. Sexual immorality creates a barrier to the influence of the Holy Spirit with all its uplifting, enlightening, and empowering capabilities. It causes powerful physical and emotional stimulation. In time that creates an unquenchable appetite that drives the offender to ever more serious sin. It engenders selfishness and can produce aggressive acts such as brutality,abortion, sexual abuse, and violent crime. Such stimulation can lead to acts of homosexuality, and they are evil and absolutely wrong" ("Making the Right Choices," Ensign, Nov. 1994, 38).

Reconcile Edited: AGene on 20th Feb, 2004 - 5:17am

Post Date: 12th Jul, 2004 - 3:29pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Gays Mormon Marriage Gay Perspective LDS

This is news, but it is relevant as doctrine discussion here:

MARRIAGE DEBATE SPLITS CONGREGATIONS

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' endorsement earlier this week of an amendment to ban same-sex marriage was short and simple. If there was any debate or hand-wringing that accompanied the church's decision, it wasn't apparent in the 25-word statement.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...76265%2C00.html

8th Jun, 2006 - 5:30pm / Post ID: #

Gays Mormon Marriage Gay Perspective LDS

It seems like ABC News had a special on the lives of "Gay Mormons". I felt very sad for some of these Brethren and the way they feel.

Gay Mormons Face Excommunication

June 7, 2006 - Daniel Holsinger was born into a devout Mormon family. He went on a mission for two years to spread the faith, as young members of the Church of Latter Day Saints, or LDS, are supposed to do.

But Holsinger is also gay, and he also knew that the church would not allow him to be himself.

"I felt huge love and fulfillment, love and fulfillment in the church in many ways," Holsinger said. "I loved the values that were taught. I love things about the church, but there was obviously this very strong sense of what is being said about, fundamentally, who I am that doesn't make sense to me."

Jay Christianson's background was similar - he is from a devout Mormon family, but he had a feeling his whole life that something was wrong with him.

"I was confused because I was, I was being told one thing but I was experiencing a completely different thing," said Christianson.

Holsinger is in his second year of medical school, studying human sexuality. Christianson is an architecture student. They are in their 20s, they are gay, and they're a couple. And that's a problem.

"There is a very strong notion that I am a sinner, fundamentally who I am is hated and reviled by God. I am alone, there is no one else like me," Holsinger said.

Christianson says their love for each other is genuine, though many in his faith would disagree. "People say that kind of love is not real but it's very real, very real," he said.
Both men say they have known since childhood that they were attracted to the same sex. Both tried hard to fight it.

"I fasted, you deprive yourself of food and you go for a period of time in meditation and prayer," Holsinger said. "I mean I did everything I felt like I was supposed to do to really communicate with God. So I figured if I did everything in this course, eventually that prayer would be answered. Eventually this nightmare would go away. Eventually I wouldn't hate myself because a new part of myself would appear. This new heterosexual part of myself would emerge. And it didn't."

https://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=2051422&page=1

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 8th Jun, 2006 - 5:31pm

8th Jun, 2006 - 6:34pm / Post ID: #

This may seem harsh, but sometimes I read these things and wonder if 'they' see the Church as a means for Salvation or as a Social Club? When one considers the eternities I do not know how being gay can even be an issue to consider when it comes to spiritual progression.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Jul, 2006 - 11:12pm / Post ID: #

LDS Perspective Gay Marriage Mormon Gays - Page 4

Exactly, JB. The bottom line is this: If the Church is true, God makes the rules. If God makes the rules, we are not to alter them. Also, he will provide a way for EVERY one of His children to follow the rules. I may have a congenital propensity to swipe silverware at dinner parties, but until I start stealing spoons, I am not a thief. Similarly, some may have a natural propensity to be sexually attracted to the same sex, but unless they act on it, they are not breaking the law of chastity. Even Christ was tempted, and nobody looks down upon Him for it. The difference is that He did not act on the temptations, except to resist them. God will provide a way out of every temptation, and a way to overcome the sins that occur when we fall. The returned missionaries in that article obviously do not believe nor understand the doctrine they were commissioned to teach for two years. Being gay, as a sin, is no different from being a smoker or a blasphemer or a liar or a thief. They each stem from a psychological hunger, which the sinner fills inappropriately with forbidden fruit. The solution for each problem is the same - the atonement of Christ. That is the message of the Church, and those who pout because the Church doesn't "meet their needs" need to reassess their "needs."

Post Date: 8th Jul, 2006 - 9:41pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

LDS Perspective Gay Marriage Mormon Gays Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

It's a really hard thing to discuss because you can't really know what it's like unless you actually are gay. I fully support our church and whatever God would have us do, but I still wonder what it's all about. Those who aren't gay can say that they should have the same rights as everybody, even to marry without God's consent. Those who are gay know exactly how it feels, but might not want to accept that there is a way to resist it and pursue life without pursuing a partner. I think everybody in life has their fair share of temptations for what they can handle, and that is a big one that they might have to just resist. I don't know what God has in store for us, or if the church will ever allow it, but we should always follow what the prophet says at this current state of time.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (42) »

> TOPIC: LDS Perspective: Gay Marriage - Mormon Gays

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,