Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 16 of 17

What hot drinks means is something that can - Page 16 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 7th May, 2014 - 8:28pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 17 pgs.  12 13 14 15 16 17 
Some can't do without it, are they breaking the Word of Wisdom?
4th May, 2014 - 3:09pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 16

Actually the Word of Wisdom says "hot drinks." I don't drink hot chocolate or apple cider.

Sponsored Links:
5th May, 2014 - 3:57pm / Post ID: #

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

It says hot drinks yeah but the interpretation was given to mean "tea and coffee" so no need to stop the chocolate thingie.

5th May, 2014 - 11:38pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? Studies Doctrine Mormon

With Coffee and tea its more then just caffeine that make them "bad".

Caffeine on the other hand is a little bit more in the gray area! If you have drinks that have caffeine in them, are you doing it for the taste of the drink, or for the drug (Caffeine) that is in the drink?

This is where everybody is able to use there agency, to decided for themselves.

On an interesting note James E. Talmage wrote this, in quoting himself from General Conference:

international QUOTE

3. The Fall a Process of Physical Degeneracy.â€"A modern revelation given to the Church in 1833 (D&C 89), prescribes rules for right living, particularly as regards the uses of stimulants, narcotics, and foods unsuited to the body. Concerning the physical causes by which the fall was brought about, and the close relation between those causes and current violations of the Word of Wisdom embodied in the revelation referred to above, the following is in point. "This, [the Word of Wisdom] like other revelations that have come in the present dispensation, is not wholly new. It is as old as the human race. The principle of the Word of Wisdom was revealed unto Adam. All the essentials of the Word of Wisdom were made known unto him in his immortal state, before he had taken into his body those things that made of it a thing of earth. He was warned against that very practice. He was not told to treat his body as something to be tortured. He was not told to look upon it as the fakir of India has come to look upon his body, or professes to look upon it, as a thing to be utterly condemned; but he was told that he must not take into that body certain things which were there at hand. He was warned that, if he did, his body would lose the power which it then held of living for ever, and that he would become subject to death. It was pointed out to him, as it has been pointed out to you, that there are many good fruits to be plucked, to be eaten, to be enjoyed. We believe in enjoying good food. We think that these good things are given us of God. We believe in getting all the enjoyment out of eating that we can; and, therefore, we should avoid gluttony, and we should avoid extremes in all our habits of eating; and as was told unto Adam, so is it told unto us: Touch not these things, for in the day that thou doest it thy life shall be shortened and thou shalt die.
"Here let me say that therein consisted the fallâ€"the eating of things unfit, the taking into the body of the things that made of that body a thing of earth: and I take this occasion to raise my voice against the false interpretation of scripture, which has been adopted by certain people, and is current in their minds, and is referred to in a hushed and half-secret way, that the fall of man consisted in some offense against the laws of chastity and virtue. Such a doctrine is an abomination. What right have we to turn the scriptures from their proper sense and meaning? What right have we to declare that God meant not what He said? The fall was a natural process, resulting through the incorporation into the bodies of our first parents of the things that came from food unfit, through the violation of the command of God regarding what they should eat. Don't go around whispering that the fall consisted in the mother of the race losing her chastity and her virtue. It is not true; the human race is not born of fornication. These bodies that are given unto us are given in the way that God has provided. Let it not be said that the patriarch of the race, who stood with the gods before he came here upon the earth, and his equally royal consort, were guilty of any such foul offense. The adoption of that belief has led many to excuse departures from the path of chastity and the path of virtue, by saying that it is the sin of the race, that it is as old as Adam. It was not introduced by Adam. It was not committed by Eve. It was the introduction of the devil and came in order that he might sow the seeds of early death in the bodies of men and women, that the race should degenerate as it has degenerated whenever the laws of virtue and of chastity have been transgressed.
"Our first parents were pure and noble, and when we pass behind the veil we shall perhaps learn something of their high estate, more than we know now. But be it known that they were pure; they were noble. It is true that they disobeyed the law of God, in eating things they were told not to eat; but who amongst you can rise up and condemn?"â€"From an address by the author at the Eighty-fourth Semiannual Conference of the Church, Oct. 6, 1913; Conference Report, pp. 118-19.

Meaning the reason Adam and Eve fell was because they violated the word of Wisdom (For them)

6th May, 2014 - 1:48am / Post ID: #

Page 16 it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

international QUOTE
With Coffee and tea its more then just caffeine that make them "bad".

Caffeine on the other hand is a little bit more in the gray area! If you have drinks that have caffeine in them, are you doing it for the taste of the drink, or for the drug (Caffeine) that is in the drink?

I think this is what we all rationalize but the truth is that it was never revealed the why.

7th May, 2014 - 4:12am / Post ID: #

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

I was being rhetorical. It was probably a really stupid comment. Forgive me.

My real opinion is that the Word of Wisdom is an advisory message on how to be clean and healthy in what you take into your body. I don't really understand why the Word of Wisdom has become a part of the temple interview process, but alas it is and I suppose the church leadership has some wisdom on the matter.

I don't think God would prefer anyone to become addicted to anything. When someone is addicted to a substance then that substance becomes a sort of God to them. The law that man shall have no other god before God applies.

On the other hand, I don't think a caffeine addiction is really a serious sin. In some ways it is a useful tool. As long as it is kept in control and not the controller, it isn't an issue.

The only reason I would think that tolerating decaf coffee might be a bad idea is the fact that not drinking coffee is an identifiable mark of a Mormon. It gives us an identity. It's sort of a uniform by which our fellow saints can recognize us. This goes along with the rest of the standards (In the sense of an emblem or flag).

I guess when it comes down to it, I think it's up to each individual to act according to his/her conscience. That's apparently how the leadership has left it.

7th May, 2014 - 1:04pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?

My 2 cents here. Caffeine is harmful and addictive!
I know this Much that medically drinking drinks that are to hot can burn the mouth and throat which can cause more problems later. (Seems that choco can be consumed in moderation .)
and caffeine is very bad on the nervous system and is addictive (I know from exp.) we also know that there is sorry if I spell wrong (Tanic acid ) which is coffee and some tea's which is same chemical in some other products (Ex. Sun tan oil) coffee I had a problem with it and know first hand it and regular tea can cause stomach problems later. So I changed to caffeine free Coke and drink less of it if any because reg coke is a killer on the stomach. (Is also good for cleaning the battery posts on your car) if your like me and like coffee and tea here is the winner (Herbal tea =no caffeine) and (Either mild drinks made from acorns or chicory and I think the other is called Postem coffee alt. No caffeine at all but still tastes like or close to coffee) and better for you .

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th May, 2014 - 2:34pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it - Page 16

The answer is simple. Just look at the church handbook of instructions! Cola drinks are NOT against the wow! It says that members should avoid any kind of addictive substance, but it does not specifically mention cola drinks. Now, decaf is another question. The problem with coffee isn't caffeine. In all reality it doesn't matter which part of coffee is bad for the body. The fact is that God said that we can't drink coffee. Period! Non-alcoholic beer is different. The WoW is against alcohol, not beer. This question is super simple. Just follow what's in the scriptures and the church handbook.

7th May, 2014 - 8:28pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 16

What hot drinks means is something that can burn you when you drink it. For example you take a swig of coffee and your mouth can be seriously burned, but as long as its not extremely hot its ok like hot chocolate. Also one of the reasons it singles out tea and coffee is because of the caffeine. I don't drink caffeine and I never have. The prophets and other priesthood leaders have told us to restrain from drinks with large amounts of caffeine. To me a large amount of caffeine is a soda with it in it, where as a small amount would be something like chocolate.

+  « First of 17 pgs.  12 13 14 15 16 17 

> TOPIC: Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,