Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 3 of 17

I thought my comment did not refer to Coffee - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Nov, 2003 - 3:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (17) »
Some can't do without it, are they breaking the Word of Wisdom?
20th Oct, 2003 - 11:35am / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 3

I thought I had already given my "two cents worth" on this topic, but it isn't here.  Maybe it was lost when the server crashed shortly after I joined.  Soooo, here is my opinion. smile.gif

In my opinion, if you drink coke, pepsi, mountain dew, etc., you are living the letter of the law with respect to the Word of Wisdom, but maybe not the spirit of the law of the Word of Wisdom.  We all know that caffeine is bad for us.  We all also know that it is not expressly forbidden by the Word of Wisdom.  Since the Word of Wisdom is a health code to live by and since we know that caffeine is an addictive drug, we probably shouldn't be drinking it.  However, if we do, we can still get a Temple recommend.    :)

I do not believe decaffeinated coffee is not allowed.  This is because, caffeine is not what has been forbidden, but coffee.  The actual words are "hot drinks," but this was later clarified to mean coffee and tea, which were the hot drinks of the day when the revelation was received.  Even if you remove the caffeine, it is still coffee. smile.gif

In my mind there is little question that someone who regularly drinks caffeinated beverages is not following the spirit of the law when it comes to the Word of Wisdom because they are regularly using a substance that we know isn't good for us in abundance.  However, what about when I on occasion have a Mountain Dew.  Am I also violating the spirit of the law because I know caffeine is bad for me, or does that come under the same category as "moderation in all things," since it hasn't been forbidden.  I don't know, but I think it is a good question.

I do agree that it is equally bad and in violation of the spirit of the law to gorge ourselves on sweets or over eat in general.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th Oct, 2003 - 12:43pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?
A Friend

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

Interesting when I tried to type in the commonly used word for "Ale" as in the Coors or Budweiser type, the message board system automaticaly deleted it.  I'm sure they just didn't want those kind of vulgar words being used.

Post Date: 4th Nov, 2003 - 9:14pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? Studies Doctrine Mormon

This question is always on my mind because I am a diet pepsi drinker (and water!). I have considered stopping but then I go on a business trip and I eat at some old diner and I don't know anything about the local water or how old the pipes are so I ask if they sell bottled water and 98% of the time they don't. So I get a Diet Pepsi with no ice.  I am also Type II diabetic and if establishments don't sell bottled water, again I am forced to purchase a diet soda of which diet coke is the only choice. I don't order orange juice or apple juice because they are harmful to my diet because I don't know if sugar is added etc. I have noticed my collegues that travel with me get ill often and I believe it is because they drink the local water.  

Am I just rationalizing here because I am addicted to Diet Pepsi? (I only drink WalMart Caffeine Free Diet Cola at Home)

I avoided going to our Ward Halloween party because of all of the sugar, punch, and goodies served. For some people, eating Ward sanctioned foods will hurt them. Others can eat them and not get sick.

I think everyone should avoid coffee, tea, alcohol, and tobaco and try to avoid those things they belive are unhealthy to them and not judge other people for their choices. We could also have a forum on the Word of Wisdom concerning meat during the hot summer, twinkies, ding dongs, and crispy creme donuts.

Thanks for the data dump.

5th Nov, 2003 - 12:22am / Post ID: #

Page 3 it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

[quote] Am I just rationalizing here because I am addicted to Diet Pepsi?[/quote]
Actually you answered your own question by saying it was an addiction. Your need to explain yourself also seems to be a way of rationalizing, but who am I to judge.

Two things in my opinion;
1. Check a thread in the ModelMode board called, 'Does anyone suffer from this...' (read it through)
2. There must be other drinks available that are 'pure', such as club soda, you could also stop at the local supermarket and buy you bottled water and walk with it.

Only because you asked wink.gif

5th Nov, 2003 - 5:23pm / Post ID: #

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

I am pretty sure the Diet sodas has lots of sugar on it (even if they say they don't wink.gif how do we really know? wink.gif
I think moderation is the key word for all things. Nh, yes I know people who will make  a huge deal about drinking a green tea but they will eat a whole beef roast for dinner lol...I'm not trying to judge, just stating how ridiculous we are sometimes. There is a thread that JB put in the Model site that talks about healthy eating and stuff...you may want to check it out or make a new thread about a specific topic in this the LDS board. smile.gif

Post Date: 6th Nov, 2003 - 12:16am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I consider myself: I'm Super Active
Years a Member: 2

My understanding of this issue is simplistic in nature.  First, I believe that caffiene is addictive and therefore should be avoided if it becomes a habit in which we frequently partake.  For example, if I noticed that I was spending on average $20.00 a month on soda I would probably consider it a problem, but I have a tendency myself to drink a soda or other drink at least once a week and do so knowing that it has caffiene in it.  Can I live with myself for doing so, of course I can.  Maybe it is because I am a convert to the Church and see things in a different perspective, but even before joining the Church I chose not to drink any soda that had caffiene in it by choice, preferring Sprite or other decaffienated drinks over those with caffiene.

I believe the reason the General Authorities have advised against the use of drinks with caffiene in them is because the Lord has inspired them to speak out against any substance which is addictive in nature.  I do not believe this is a violation of the word of Wisdom, nor do I feel that it should be considered a violation.  The reason being is simple.  The more we take gospel "Hobbies," the more we lose focus on the important message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  The Word of Wisdom like any other gospel principle or doctrine can become a "Gospel Hobby" and cause undue stress upon the member who choses to take part in such hobbies.  I would urge everyone not to loose focus of the purpose of the Word of Wisdom.

One last thing, it is clear to me that it is quite okay to partake of drinks which have no caffiene in them because having attended the Temple I have noticed that the Temple Cafeteria offers decaffienated drinks to Temple Patrons.  In summary, I believe we should avoid caffiene if we seem to be addicted to it (if we drink more caffiene then water then there might be a problem).

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Nov, 2003 - 2:00pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it - Page 3

[quote] One last thing, it is clear to me that it is quite okay to partake of drinks which have no caffiene in them because having attended the Temple I have noticed that the Temple Cafeteria offers decaffienated drinks to Temple Patrons.[/quote]

What do you mean exactly by decaffienated drinks? (decaf coffee?)

Post Date: 6th Nov, 2003 - 3:29pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

I thought my comment did not refer to Coffee since not once in the whole message did I refer to decaffienated coffee, decaffienated beer, decaffienated anything other then soda.  Not once was any statement made about decaffienated water or anything else that is decaffienated.  I believed my post taken in context was clear and that is why I chose to post it.  Water is decaffienated but does that mean that I should have mentioned it in my post, kool-aid is decaffienated but should I have included it in my post.  No, the reason I chose not to mention coffee, alcholol or any other form of drink in my post was because the topic of the thread had to do with Soda, not with water, not with coffee, not with tea, not with alcohol, not with kool-aid or any drink but soda.  I could have said decaffienated soda each time I used the word but then I would be redundant.

So in short, no I did not mean decaffienated coffee nor did I ever mention coffee nor did I mean decaffienated water.  Anyways the Word of Wisdom mentions coffee separate from Soda and the reasons why we are commanded not to have coffee and admonished not to drink soda in all liklihood are separate.  

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (17) »

> TOPIC: Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,