Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 4 of 17

JB said: I wouldn't drink it.  I - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Nov, 2003 - 10:34pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (17) »
Some can't do without it, are they breaking the Word of Wisdom?
8th Nov, 2003 - 2:57am / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 4

I thought my comment did not refer to Coffee since not once in the whole message did I refer to decaffienated coffee, decaffienated beer, decaffienated anything other then soda.  Not once was any statement made about decaffienated water or anything else that is decaffienated. 

Pardon me, sir. This was rather harsh and rude of you. Especially since your previous post said this...
I have noticed that the Temple Cafeteria offers decaffienated drinks to Temple Patrons.

...which does indeed mention decaffeinated drinks.

A drink with no caffeine in its normal state is not decaffeinated, it just doesn't have any caffeine. A decaffeinated drink is one which has had the naturally occuring caffeine removed. I don't truly think any LDS temple would provide decaffeinated drinks; rather, they would provide drinks that are naturally caffeine free.

You really should refrain from attacking other members of this board, particularly after you've said something unclear or confusing.

Roz

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 10th Nov, 2003 - 2:03pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?
A Friend

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

I apologize if I somehow caused you to perceive me as attacking anyone but the fact does remain that 1) This thread has nothing to do with coffee, 2) I never mentioned coffee in my post, 3) the Temple serves patrons Diet Caffeine-free Coca-Cola, which is what is being discussed in this thread.

It can only be concluded that my phrase was taken out of context to imply to something which it did not. I never once mentioned coffee nor did I by the choice of my words imply a general scope to my post, in fact my post was quite specifically speaking of soda.

"Maybe it is because I am a convert to the Church and see things in a different perspective, but even before joining the Church I chose not to drink any soda that had caffiene in it by choice, preferring Sprite or other decaffienated drinks over those with caffiene. "

Here I set the terminology for my post in regards to decaffienated drinks being soda, and I did so several times.

"For example, if I noticed that I was spending on average $20.00 a month on soda I would probably consider it a problem, but I have a tendency myself to drink a soda or other drink at least once a week and do so knowing that it has caffiene in it."

"I believe the reason the General Authorities have advised against the use of drinks with caffiene in them is because the Lord has inspired them to speak out against any substance which is addictive in nature. "

Here I speak of the General Authorities speaking out against drinks with caffiene in them because they were addictive in nature, then I preceed to make the following comment making it clear that when I was speaking of these drinks that I was not speaking of the 'Word of Wisdom.'

"I do not believe this is a violation of the word of Wisdom, nor do I feel that it should be considered a violation. "

Now if I was referring to coffee in my post there would be no way that I could 'not consider it to be a violation of the Word of Wisdom' My post is implicit, I should not be forced to clarify every statement with the exception to my post. I could do the same with your post by saying the following but it would be inappropriate to do so.

I could have said caffiene-free soda, but that includes decaffienated soda drinks or merely is a different usage of words. Soda drinks which are decaffienated are different then decaffienated or caffiene-free coffee. In fact when we use the words Diet Sprite, Coke, Pepsi, etc we in actuality mean suger-free Sprite, suger free Coke, and sugar free Pepsi. I could just as easily suger-free coke and you would have no other reason but to conclude that I am referring to Diet Coke.

Obviously decaffienated drinks (by your defination those that originally had caffiene in them and then had the caffiene extracted) are caffiene-free, would it be any more clearer if I had said caffiene-free drinks, obviously not because this is obviously coffee. Yet if you believe that decaffienated merely means such an extraction then your intrepretation of my post is clearly in error because it would be obvious that I was referring to only coffee and tea and not soda therefore it would not have been necessary to ask me:

"What do you mean exactly by decaffienated drinks? (decaf coffee?)"

Because by your intrepretation I had to mean 'decaf coffee' and not soda since soda doesn't originally have caffiene in it but has it added.

In fact, my whole post would be in error and confusing but it was not, once I used the term soda when referring to decaffienated drinks it would have become obvious to you that I was not using your definition of the word and that I was referring only to decaffinated drinks. It is fallacious to divide my meaning, or to re-intrepret my meaning to imply something it does not. The mere fact that I not once made mention of coffee, but instead made it all to clear that I was referring to soda made it inappropriate for you to ask the question and it was rude to do so.

You refer to my post to you as being rude, I am not the one who attacked you; if in fact if my answer to your question could be considered rude then your question itself is far more of an attack then mine response. I think you need to reassess what you believe to be rude, because surely no one is being rude by responding to a post. If you mean by rude that I am in error then that might make sense but that is not what rude means and certainly is not what harsh means. What you really mean by my being rude is that 'I disagreed with you' In today's society, it is rude for someone to disagree with another person and that is all I did. I merely disagreed with you, and that made you angry and you used such words as rude and harsh to describe my disagreement. I never once attacked you like you did me, so please if anyone should be upset about someone being rude then it is I who should be upset at you, but I don't play that game and am not upset since it is a waste of my time to be upset.

I surely hope you don't go around calling investigators 'rude or harsh' because they have a different understanding of the Bible or of the Gospel. In my opinion you have a chip on your shoulder and anyone disagreeing with you is rude and harsh. Of course I am blunt and I don't deny that, I am not going to use nice words merely to appease you, of course I could have worded my post nicely and wasted everyone's time because no matter what you would have disagreed with me anyways no matter how I worded it. Just like I disagree with your post no matter how blunt you were in calling me rude and harsh.

Please take the time to consider what you are really upset about, is it the way I said what I did, or is it what I said. The answer is all to clear to me that it was what I said and not how I said it.

P.S. Please don't use semantics with investigators, there understanding of the words salvation might be different then yours but that doesn't mean they are wrong and please attempt to understand what they mean by their use of certain words before attacking them and calling them rude and harsh. It accomplishes nothing to play semantics. However you look at it, my statement is in direct relation to this board. Decaffienated (since you don't like this word being used in this manner I will clarify by using caffiene-free to suit you. Now I am probably going to be asked by someone if I mean caffiene-free coffee) soda is sold in the Temple. That is what this board is about, and that is what I said no matter how you look at it. I suggest you stay away from those interested in the gospel if you are going to have that one upmanship attitude with them too.

10th Nov, 2003 - 2:13pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Edward, you know what I, too, am having a hard time with the tone of some of your posts. Please keep in mind this is a discussion forum. That means if someone wants clarification regarding the point you are making, they are going to ask you for it. When LDS asked you if you meant decaffienated coffee, it was simply because she wanted to be clear about that of which you were speaking. I do not believe it was meant as a "flame."

Nothing is obvious if someone is confused. So, please don't get defensive with us when we ask you to explain your thoughts. Remember that there is no "tone" in the written word so this can cause misunderstanding, but I have found this to be a friendly place and it is safe to assume any tone in a question to be one of friendly inquiry.

My post is implicit, I should not be forced to clarify every statement with the exception to my post.

You certainly should be expected to clarify any statements that one of us doesn't fully understand. That is what discussion is.

What you really mean by my being rude is that "I disagreed with you"

In FarSeer's defense, I think you are wrong about what she means. She and I have disagreed in threads before and she has never called me rude. (not yet anyway wink.gif )

If we are misinterpreting the tone of your posts, you can add smiley faces to it in key places to help convey the tone which you are trying to send. smile.gif

Offtopic but,
I would find your posts easier to follow if you used the quote /quote tags to surround stuff you are quoting from previous posts. You put the word quote in [] at the beginning and /quote in [] at the end of the stuff you are quoting.

Post Date: 10th Nov, 2003 - 4:43pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 4 it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

I consider myself: I'm Super Active
Years a Member: 2

Thanks Tena, I understand where you are coming from and understand why you feel the way you do but I still have to disagree.  My response to her question was neither rude nor harsh but merely was an answer to her question stating what I believed to be the case. smile.gif  

In fact, I think it is far more harsh and rude to call someone's post harsh and rude merely because they are saying that they believe something is "implicitly clear" and that they meant 'this and not that' and to make  statements of ones beliefs and opinions.  >:(

Please show me where I was rude in my response I will gladly accept your opinion but I know that my tone is too the point.  This may upset people because I am not putting smiley faces or eloquently wording things. ???

P.S. I completely ignore smiley faces because I believe the reason that they are put in a post is to lessen the meaning of what is being said.  I will be more then glad to add quotes to my posts and to continue to note when something is an opinion and to state when I am being objective but I do not feel that I should be required to clarify something that is obvious from the content of my post. smile.gif

Anyone have a normal conversation and discussion wouldn't be obligated to clarify a statement such as, "I was reading the Book of Mormon one day, and felt that it contains many truths and would like to know more about other books of your Church"  It would be clear that these books would not be referring to the Articles of Faith nor would the person asking the question be obligated to clarify that he means scriptures.  That is exactly what I was asked to do, to clarify that I meant scriptures (soda) when I said other books (decaffienated drinks). smile.gif[pm_moderation_note=This post was smited (-20 points) by JB@Trinidadpm_end]User is double posting and going offtopic drastically.[/pm_moderation_note]

10th Nov, 2003 - 7:29pm / Post ID: #

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

[quote] Thanks Tena, I understand where you are coming from and understand why you feel the way you do but I still have to disagree.[/quote]
I have the feeling you are here but to do nothing else but be disagreeable. Like the board says, 'This is NOT a venting station.'

The thread can now continue with the original topic which is...

Post Date: 13th Nov, 2003 - 9:21pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hi all, in regards to drinking Coca Cola, or caffinated soft drinks.  I like what my Stake President counciled me at my last temple recommed renewal.  It is coffee, hot/cold, in any way shape or form that is not allowed.  Caffine drinks such as Mountain Dew, some root beers, and even Sunkist soda are not included.  Yet if you feel that you should NOT be drinking caffinated soft drinks, then by all means DON'T.  

My thoughts:  We could debate the issue until the moon turns to green slimey cheese and it woundn't change a thing.  Heavenly Father said No, and who are we to ask Him for a reason why or go counter to His commandments?  

Now I have a question ~ and I don't know if I should post it here or somewhere else, but I thought this board was for LDS only?  question:  why is there comments from an agnostic?  Edward claims to have a temple recommend, yet he also states that he is agnostic, am I being too sensitive or am I out of line?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Nov, 2003 - 9:31pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it - Page 4

We could debate the issue until the moon turns to green slimey cheese and it woundn't change a thing.

I would not call this a debate since nothing will come out of this save what we take personally, so it is merely a discussion or even less... thoughts of posters. You are right though, it is coffee and tea that are the things we look for, but suppose they made coffee soft drink, what would you say?

Offtopic but,
I don't know if I should post it here or somewhere else

When asking offtopic questions or making offtopic comments please use the quote tags. See the FAQ board for details on how to do this.
I thought this board was for LDS only?

It is, Edward's account was deleted and hence it shows the default of 'agnostic', but he had it as 'LDS' when he was here. By the way, we found most of his views over the edge, so he was deleted.

Post Date: 13th Nov, 2003 - 10:34pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

JB said:

I wouldn't drink it.  I don't drink the cold coffee drinks now. Also when I drink herbal teas ('er infusions) I make sure that I cool them down so they aren't scalding hot.  I grow my own mints just so I can have mint infusions. Guess I am pretty 'mormony' after all biggrin.gif

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (17) »

> TOPIC: Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,