Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 9 of 17

Fiannan said: QUOTE I went to a party at my - Page 9 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Feb, 2007 - 12:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 17 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...Latest (17) »
Some can't do without it, are they breaking the Word of Wisdom?
29th Oct, 2004 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 9

I am not sure if it is within this thread or another about the above words concerning Word of Wisdom where we focused on those items mentioned, but it is interesting how the Church has narrowed it down to a list of don'ts not including things like chocolate or pig. The most recent I have ever read speaking about Cola and Chocolate is Spencer W. Kimball's 'Miracle of Forgiveness'.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Nov, 2004 - 8:48am / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?
A Friend

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

I am neither aware of any public statement from the FP, but as we learn in the temple, if we listen to the apostles guidance, then we'll find the path to eternal life. This is what apostle Bruce R. McConkie says about cola drinks in his book Mormon Doctrine:

"There are many other substances which have a harmful effect on the human body, though such particular things are not specifically prohibited by the Word of Wisdom. Certainly the partaking of cola drinks, though not included within the measuring standard here set out, is in violation of the spirit of the Word of Wisdom. Harmfull drugs of any sort are in a like category" (Morm. Doctrine - "Word of Wisdom", p.845)

For some years during my membership I became addictive to some pain killers due to the main ingredient caffeine which they contained. I have beat this habit now and I can tell you I felt so blessed when I did that. I tried cola a few times but didn't feel good about it. If we have any doubts about anything, it is probably beast to avoid it. Also, I decide to rather listen to advice from the 12 apostles, and to let me guide by their advice (they're apostles after all), rather than to opinions among members in the Church. I believe that's where our safety is.

Best regards
John

Post Date: 10th Jan, 2005 - 11:53pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? Studies Doctrine Mormon

The thread can now continue with the original topic which is...

Well, this seems to be the topic to me, as stated by JB on page 4. He is the one who started the thread and chose this topic. But it seems to me that most of it has been about the Word of Wisdom and which drinks can we drink. So, I think I will post about both topics. Wait, I just checked the first post and it does say "What do you think about drinking Coke?

I really like drinking Pepsi and Coke, but I don't feel good about it. It just tastes good IMO. I used to only have 1 glass a day and sometimes less. With the new year I decided that I really wanted to stop drinking it. I have no headaches and I don't think I had/have a caffeine addiction, but I still crave it. I haven't had any since last year. My reasons for quitting are coming.

As far as my interpretation of the Word of Wisdom, I do not think drinking Coke is technically against the Word of Wisdom, as many have felt the same. I also think that our leaders have encouraged us to refrain from drinking it since caffeine is not good for you and our bodies are temples of God. We should do all that we can willingly do to take as good care of our bodies as we can. Just looking around the USA, and maybe around the world, many in the church are not necessarily living the spirit of the law. I could list all the ways we don't take care of our bodies, but I'm not going to do that.

The first thing that popped into my head reading all of the posts was this:

"When Joseph Smith was asked how he governed his people so well, he replied, "I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves." (Journal of Discourses 10:57.)" First Presidency Message:Leading as the Savior Led By President N. Eldon Tanner

Then this scripture:

"It is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward. For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward. But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned" (D&C 58:26-29

There is a higher law, celestial law, and the lover law, telestial law. For me, if there is any question about whether or not I should be doing something and after I have exhausted a lot of research and talking to many people and haven't found a satisfactory answer, I would rather not take my chances in doing that thing, choosing to live the higher law, IMO. That definitely does not mean I am perfect at doing this. But I am trying, and working on what I can.

Post Date: 8th Mar, 2005 - 1:46am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 9 it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

If a general authority or the prophet advises or says not to drink coffee or caffinated drink who am I to argue?

Post Date: 16th Aug, 2005 - 7:21pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

I tried to avoid Coca Cola and any carbonated beverage just for the simple fact that they don't contribute to being healthy. Soda Pop is loaded with Sugar, and if you think DIET drinks are better because they don't have all that sugar and few calories, think again. Diet cola's usually contain ASPARTAME which is potentially harmful.

I still drink pop once in a while but I realize that they are not good for the body and that is what the Word of Wisdom is all about - being wise about what you consume.

3rd Feb, 2007 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

It surprised me some time ago to see Primary giving away cola drinks to the kids, my son took it (I saw the bottle) I did notice he did not know it was a cola drink since we always talk about "Coke" only as not being good to drink but it is a good opportunity to teach him about Pepsi and other cola drinks.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Feb, 2007 - 8:46am / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it - Page 9

I went to a party at my bishop's house and pepsi was the favorite drink being served. I don't think there is anything wrong with my favorite drink -- Mountain Dew -- or any other soda pop.

3rd Feb, 2007 - 12:01pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 9

Fiannan said:

I went to a party at my bishop's house and pepsi was the favorite drink being served

I hope you don't think that because it was served at your bishop's house somehow Pepsi or other cola drinks are "good" to drink.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my favorite drink -- Mountain Dew -- or any other soda pop.

Actually, in a 12oz can of Mountain Dew (whether is "diet" version or not) there is 55 mgs of caffeine while Coca-Cola is 45 mgs and Pepsi 37.2. So your favorite drink contains more caffeine than both Coke and Pepsi, I suppose you know these figures? Then you can judge for yourself after reading the words of counsel from the Prophets whether there is anything "wrong" or not with them (as you shared in your statement)):

"With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do NOW specifically advise, AGAINST the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit.  Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided."

> TOPIC: Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,