Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 10 of 17

Going back to the issue of Coke, I know many - Page 10 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Apr, 2007 - 8:55pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 17 pgs.  6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...Latest (17) »
Some can't do without it, are they breaking the Word of Wisdom?
3rd Feb, 2007 - 4:34pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 10

I was never a coffee drinker so my conversionto the church was easy. Then I realized through a Stake president in a an interview that he did not drink any kind of sodas. I realized he meant Colas. This of course did not stop me from drinking cola drinks. Now that I am a temple goer. I drink a coke once in a while. I believe I should totally give it up but I can't.
Paintingblue

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please check over your spelling using the built-in Spell Checker before posting your message.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Feb, 2007 - 5:10pm / Post ID: #

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

paintingblue said:

I believe I should totally give it up but I can't.

What do you exactly mean by you "can't"? If you are talking about an addiction to Cola drinks then it's the best reason to stop drinking it, don't you think?

3rd Feb, 2007 - 5:41pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I guess I can give up coke. I choose not to yet. I am working on it though. I went from one a day to once a week.
Paintingblue

3rd Feb, 2007 - 5:45pm / Post ID: #

Page 10 it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

You don't have to give it up, you live in the US where they have the caffeine free version, did you try it? I did when I lived in the US and taste just the same as regular Coke.

Post Date: 8th Apr, 2007 - 7:23pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?
A Friend

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

LeGrand Richards, a former apostle, in his book A Marvelous Work And A Wonder references to John and Leah Widtsoe's book, The Word of Wisdom: A Modern Interpretation, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, rev. ed., 1950, pp.79-80, which reads as follows:

At the time of receiving of the Word of Wisdom little was known of the composition of tea or coffee. The study of the ingredients of the natural products of the plant kingdom was in its infancy, as indeed was the whole science of chemisty. It was of course assumed, since these beverages had some distinct effect upon the body, that they contained some "active principle".
  In 1921, a white, silky substance, odorless and bitter to the taste, was extracted from coffee and named caffeine. Six years later, the same substance was found to exist in tea. Thousands of chemical analyses of tea and coffee have been made during the last century. Coffee contains small quantities of several substances of questionable value to man...Tea, in addition to several other somewhat harmful substances, contains three to six percent (at times as high as 25 percent) of tannin. A small quantity of tannin is found in coffee also. A cup of tea or coffee contains about one to one and one-half grains of caffeine.
  Caffeine...is a drug, an alkaloid, related to some of the most violent of poisons. When it enters the human body, it produces at first a feeling of stimulation, followed in due course by a period of depressions, relief from which is sought by the use of more caffeine. It is, therefore, habit-forming, so that the power of the will is weakened.

From this, it is my opinion that any consumption of caffeine in any form is violation of the Word of Wisdom, and also that the prohibition of tea and coffee is due mainly to the presence of caffeine in it.

Edited by LDS_forever: Corrected quote tags.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 8th Apr, 2007 - 7:34pm

8th Apr, 2007 - 7:41pm / Post ID: #

From this, it is my opinion that any consumption of caffeine in any form is violation of the Word of Wisdom, and also that the prohibition of tea and coffee is due mainly to the presence of caffeine in it.

How do you reach such conclusion? If we carefully analyze the Word of Wisdom it talks about hot drinks (as we know it means tea and coffee as revealed to the Prophet) nevertheless it was never mentioned the issue of "caffeine" (as the statement you quoted it mentions a pretty recent discovery about the harmful substance found in tea and coffee known as caffeine) So it seems to me that decaf coffee seems to be also against the word of wisdom? Since the prohibition talks about coffee.

Not trying to be technical here wink.gif but trying to state that partaking of tea and coffee indeed break the Word of Wisdom because the law is very specific about it, but partaking of Chocolate or even Coke violates the spirit of the Word of Wisdom which means you still able to hold a Temple Recommend even though you are partaking of these things.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Apr, 2007 - 7:58pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it - Page 10

I agree with that, and I'll say that I might have been a bit broad in my assessment. Caffeine, however, as a habit-forming, addictive drug that takes away your agency, is in my opinion a violation of the Word of Wisdom, or at least a violation of the spirit of the Word of Wisdom, given it not being officially prohibited. Such was my opinion of the reason of why coffee and tea was prohibited. There may be more to that reason, but anything that takes away your agency is in my opinion bad and should be avoided.

Rather off topic, but...
(Thank you for fixing my tags, between.)

Edited by LDS_forever: Anything you want to say offtopic, just add offtopic tags in the same way quote tags are used. Thanks.

8th Apr, 2007 - 8:55pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 10

Going back to the issue of Coke, I know many leaders who are quite addictive to Coke. It amazes me that they try to quit drinking it but they say they just "can't". Of course, I don't believe in the word "can't" wink.gif. Personally I don't drink Coke because the Prophets have spoken against cola drinks and I try to teach my kids to abstain from it.

> TOPIC: Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,