Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 13 of 17

Name: Louis Comments: We can become like the - Page 13 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Mar, 2010 - 7:46pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 17 pgs.  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 
Some can't do without it, are they breaking the Word of Wisdom?
Post Date: 5th Nov, 2009 - 10:44am / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? - Page 13

Name: Andrew

Comments: My stake president is a "Coke-A-holic" and drinks several coca cola's every day.

My past Bishop used to stop and buy us Mountain Dew after boy scouts was over.

That being said, there are bishops, Stake Presidents, High council leaders, general authorities and on up the totem pole who condone the use either directly or through their example of caffeinated soda and or cola. With that in mind, I think it's fair to say it's 100% a personal decision and one that's up to you and only you. I have never had a Bishop ask me if I drink coca cola or Pepsi in a temple interview so I think using it moderately is just fine. If you find yourself addicted, and drinking them more often than you should, you may want to practice moderation as we are counseled. Again, the Word of Wisdom is something that is over complicated by much of the church. We need to use our own personal judgment in items such as this that are not clearly defined. The lord does not want to have to direct us in "all things" but expects us to use accurate thinking, reasoning and judgment regarding these matters.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Mar, 2010 - 10:55am / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?
A Friend

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

I agree to what Lds_forever has said that we should follow the First Presidency's message about it then why others make excuses? If you know one of the children's songs "Follow the prophet... he knows the way", as simple as that. We also have to follow the spirit of the law not just the letter of the law alone. I also don't drink caffeinated drinks since I became active in the church, I stopped it and it was easy for me because there are so many substitutes on it like juices, and many others.
President Packer also said that the Word of Wisdom is only a guideline for us to be healthy and that doesn't mean that tea, coffee, alcohol are the only things we should avoid. How about not sleeping early? What about if you eat a dirty food? They are also violations to the Word of Wisdom.

The Lord said in Doctrine and Covenants 58:26-29, "it is not meet that I should command in all things". So, it is by our wisdom and good judgement whether a thing is not good for us.

For example, I have heared from a returned missionary that he read in the internet that coke in other places is used for cleaning toilet bowls because it easily removes dirt and stains in it. So, if we always drink colas, it would have a bad effect in our internal organs.

My advice is you replace other substitutes for it. It doesn't mean that if other members drink colas then you also have to drink it. Remember we are light to others, not just to nonmembers but members as well, because every member has different degrees of righteousness and mostly each are striving to perfect themselves step by step.

18th Mar, 2010 - 2:10pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it? Studies Doctrine Mormon

international QUOTE (mormonfriend @ 18-Mar 10, 10:55 AM)
I agree to what Lds_forever has said that we should follow the First Presidency's message about it then why others make excuses?

Last time I checked, drinking Coke isn't breaking the Word of Wisdom so I ain't sure about the excuses you're referring to? Mind to explain?

international QUOTE
If you know one of the children's songs "Follow the prophet... he knows the way", as simple as that.

And none of them said that drinking Coke is breaking the Word of Wisdom so the point is....?

international QUOTE
We also have to follow the spirit of the law not just the letter of the law alone.

Then it's a choice you know what am I saying? And one that will not keep me or you out of the Temple.

international QUOTE
I also don't drink caffeinated drinks since I became active in the church, I stopped it and it was easy for me because there are so many substitutes on it like juices, and many  others. 

That's great but that was a personal choice eh, in the Church nobody asked us to do that, its not a commandment you know what am I saying?

international QUOTE
The Lord said in Doctrine and Covenants 58:26-29, "it is not meet that I should command in all things". So, it is by our wisdom and good judgement whether a thing is not good for us.

Excellent point brother. Thats why I think is good we make our own choices and don't tell others what they should choose in topics that arent doctrinal.

international QUOTE
Remember we are light to others, not just to nonmembers but members as well, because every member has different degrees of righteousness and mostly each are striving to perfect themselves step by step.

More degrees of righteousness? What do you exactly mean by that? You know I don't have a problem with members stopping drinking Coke or chocolate if they are "striving to perfect themselves" like you put it but if they don't do their home teaching or visit the poor, etc but they boast about not drinking Coke reminds me almost to the Pharisees, concerned about the letter of the law and not about the real picture.

Post Date: 19th Mar, 2010 - 3:59am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 13 it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

Thanks for replying!

1. The First Presidency discouraged it, have you read their message that was quoted?
Remember what President Packer said that tea, coffee, alcohol, and drugs are only
guidelines. You may please ponder to what he said.

2. The First Presidency discouraged it, so they know the way, isn't it?

3. Of course we could still get into the temple, no problem with that. Yes, it's a choice
but if you believe in personal revelation for each of us then you would understand
what I meant to say about spirit of the law.

4. Yes it's a personal choice with the approval from the Lord through our personal prayers. Whenever I have doubt for something, you know I kneel to pray and ask Heavenly Father if this thing is good for me. You know what I mean? It's a personal revelation for our benefit. God also said that He will not command in all things, know what I mean?

5. I am not the only one who tell it, but also the First Presidency.

6. I don't have problem too if others drink coke because it's their choice.
So you mean to say that the First Presidency are one of the Pharisees, too?

19th Mar, 2010 - 10:43am / Post ID: #

it drinking stop cant - Cola Coke

If you don't want to drink Coke that's up to you but I don't like the mote and the beam principle members apply about this. Oh you're drinking a Coke you're so bad but you know what I can't even remember when last I did my home teaching.

19th Mar, 2010 - 12:42pm / Post ID: #

international QUOTE (mormonfriend @ 19-Mar 10, 3:59 AM)
1. The First Presidency discouraged it, have you read their message that was quoted?

Yes and what I read is simple a personal opinion on the matter. The Church as a body never gave an official statement and thats President Kimball said:

international QUOTE
'But the spirit of the Word of Wisdom would be violated by the drinking or eating of anything that contained a habit-forming drug.' With reference to the cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken any attitude on this at but I personally do not put them in the class as with the tea and coffee because the Lord specifically mentioned them [the hotdrinks]."

Big difference between giving a personal opinion on something and a revelation in the form of an official letter you know what am I saying?

international QUOTE
I am not the only one who tell it, but also the First Presidency.

I know you're not the only one who thinks the same way, I am fine with that and also fine with the First Presidency sharing their view. However I wanted to make the distinction between sharing an opinion and making it doctrinal you know what am I saying? Two different things.

international QUOTE
I don't have problem too if others drink coke because it's their choice.
So you mean to say that the First Presidency are one of the Pharisees, too?

What? The First Presidency does not do their home teaching? wink.gif If you read my example I was saying that I find Pharisaic that some members may point out the fact that others are drinking Coke and themselves do not, yet they fail to do their home and visiting teaching or taking care of the poor and those who are in need you know what I am saying?. Ya know, focusing on the least important and forgetting all along what truly matters.

Reconcile Edited: SuzieSu on 19th Mar, 2010 - 12:43pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 20th Mar, 2010 - 7:20am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it - Page 13

Good day!

1. You're right! It's not an official statement, and I didn't say that.

2. Well, you're right again. But I am not one of those who criticize members just because I don't drink coke anymore. Even though our Stake President here drinks coke, I don't think or treat him an unworthy person, I still sustain him and follow his counsels. I tell you again that I don't judge them or think that they're less worthy.
It is right that those members who do not do their home teaching are lukewarms and not those who drink colas.

Post Date: 22nd Mar, 2010 - 7:46pm / Post ID: #

Coke Cola - can't stop drinking it Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 13

Name: Louis

Comments: We can become like the mote in the eye and look for every little reason to not do something but then we lose sight of what is really important. I wouldn't have even noticed whether or not my stake president drinks a coke. I'd be more concerned with if he was cheating or gambling or something like that which will affect his spirit and judgment.

+  « First of 17 pgs.  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 

> TOPIC: Coke Cola - I can't stop drinking it?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,