Great are the words of Isaiah

Great Words Isaiah - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 20th Oct, 2003 - 2:33pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
6th Oct, 2003 - 9:45pm / Post ID: #

3 Nephi 23:1
1 AND now, behold, I say unto you, that ye ought to search these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah.

* How much do you study the words of Isaiah?
* What do you gain from Isaiah?
* How does Isaiah affect you?

I have begun to really be affected by Isaiah. I have been reading some of the new translation of Isaiah, and frequently go back to the KJV and the Book of Mormon and compare them.

I understand the Book of Mormon to be telling us that in the last days Isaiah will become clear to us. I believe that the new translation is one of the tools to help us understand the message that Isaiah has for us.

Within this topic, I hope to address specific chapters and verses of Isaiah, hopefully so that I might come to a better understanding. If the discussion helps anyone else, so much the better.

NightHawk

Sponsored Links:
7th Oct, 2003 - 12:02am / Post ID: #

Isaiah words the Great

In order to get the conversation started....

[quote]2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.[/quote]

Now this verse is normally considered to refer to the Temple.  However, apparently many scholars (including LDS) can show that "mountain" as a symbol within Isaiah, as well as the other OT Prophets, normally symbolizes "nation" or "kingdom".  If this is so, then verse 2 is saying essentially:
The Lord will establish a kingdom in the last days, in the top (highest, most prominent, most powerful) of nations.  This kingdom will be exalted above all others.

Verse 3 just becomes more clear, at least to me.  People will come to this kingdom, to visit the House of the Lord to learn of God.

NightHawk

8th Oct, 2003 - 10:54pm / Post ID: #

Great are the words of Isaiah Studies Doctrine Mormon

Well, people are reading this topic, but not adding to it.

Here is another thought from Isaiah that sticks in my mind.

Isaiah shows that there are two major sins that Israel/Ephraim will be guilty of in the Last Days.

1. Unjust laws and judges

2. Preoccupation with "spectacles."  This appears to be our preoccupation with organized sports.  From Little League baseball and childrens' soccer to local bowling leagues to Major League football.

There is even a verse (I don't have access to it right now) that indicates the tribulations will start at a sports stadium!

BTW, when Isaiah speaks of Israel or Ephraim, he is apparently discussing the Church.  When he speaks of Judah, then he is discussing the Jews and the modern state of Israel.

Another identification from Isaiah that is important to consider is that when he speaks of Egypt, he is probably discussing the USA.  Egypt was the political/cultural hegemon in his day, just as the US is today.

NightHawk

19th Oct, 2003 - 9:15pm / Post ID: #

Isaiah words the Great

I have not read much in Isaiah, and I'm still working on reading (re-reading) the BoM.  In fact, I 've avoided the OT because I thought it would be above my understanding for awhile, after having been away from anything "religious" for a long time.

I'm hooked now!

I need to read and study for a bit, and then I'd like to join in here too.

Thanks for prompting my further studies smile.gif

Roz

19th Oct, 2003 - 10:01pm / Post ID: #

Isaiah words the Great

You are most certainly welcome.

I would suggest that you can start to learn about Isaiah (including the Isaiah portions of the Book of Mormon) at:
https://isaiah.1hwy.com/

The author of this site has gathered a lot of information about the literary structures of Isaiah, as well as the symbolism.  He is not the last word on the subject, but he is very understandable.  He also compares several different translations to show depth of meaning.

I should also point out that as a Mormon, with the strong messages of the Book of Mormon and the D&C, you are amazingly well set to understand a lot of the Old Testament prophets.  Avraham Gileadi used the Book of Mormon to provide a lot of the keys to his understanding of Isaiah, along with his rabinical and classical Hebrew training.

NightHawk

P.S. As you are the only one who has indicated anything about this topic, would you like me to post more of what I have learned here?

19th Oct, 2003 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

* How much do you study the words of Isaiah?
* What do you gain from Isaiah?
* How does Isaiah affect you?

The words of Isaiah are very dualistic and counted as some of the best in recorded history. I have studied some of it, but have been lacking in recent years.
Offtopic but,
It is not that the thread is not good, I would say it is an excellent thread, but there are so many, plus I have to run the other 80+ web sites we have. I am hoping to get more moderators. As I do I think you will find greater acknowledgement of your posts. Thanks.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Oct, 2003 - 9:49am / Post ID: #

Great the words Isaiah

Just a quick note here.

I am intrigued by Isaiah 19.  Once I embraced the idea that "Egypt" is a metaphor for the modern United States, suddenly the first part of the chapter takes on special meaning.

[quote]Isaiah 19: 1-4
1 The burden of Egypt. Behold, the LORD rideth upon a swift cloud, and shall come into Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall be moved at his presence, and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it.

2 And I will set the Egyptians against the Egyptians: and they shall fight every one against his brother, and every one against his neighbour; city against city, and kingdom against kingdom.

3 And the spirit of Egypt shall fail in the midst thereof; and I will destroy the counsel thereof: and they shall seek to the idols, and to the charmers, and to them that have familiar spirits, and to the wizards.

4 And the Egyptians will I give over into the hand of a cruel lord; and a fierce king shall rule over them, saith the Lord, the LORD of hosts.[/quote]
At first, verse 2 especially appears to be talking about the US Civil War.  However, when looked at along with other modern prophecies, this is probably more about the very last days.  This is especially true when you look at verse 4, where the US is told that it will be ruled by a "cruel lord" and a "fierce king."  I think this is probably the "Assyrian King," who most people discuss as the "Antichrist" of Revelation.  (I don't really believe in the commonly accepted idea of an Antichrist, but that is a different topic).  There are differences between the Assyrian King and the common idea of the Antichrist.  The Assyrian King is probably the "little horn" from Daniel.

One point I find particularly interesting in these verses is the references in verses 1 and 3 to the destruction of the "heart" and "spirit" of Egypt (the US), along with her idols.  In light of President Kimball's wonderful discourse on the "Idols we Worship" (I think this is the correct title) these verses indicate that the military might of the US will be wiped out by the Assyrian King.

So, what do you think?

NightHawk

20th Oct, 2003 - 2:33pm / Post ID: #

Great the words Isaiah Mormon Doctrine Studies

The reason I have not posted in this thread is because I have not knowledge (worthy of sharing) about Isaiah but I read all the posts smile.gif. Now based on the last post how do we know Isaiah is talking about the United States?

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Great are the words of Isaiah

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,