Great are the words of Isaiah - Page 2 of 3

One quick key to understanding Isaiah can - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Dec, 2006 - 6:15pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
20th Oct, 2003 - 3:50pm / Post ID: #

Great are the words of Isaiah - Page 2

To start with, at the time of Isaiah, Egypt was fading in power. It was still the "superpower" of the time, but it was beginning to fade. After Isaiah, Babylon, Persia, Greece, and Rome were each the superpowers of their time.

Some of the descriptors of Egypt have never applied to Egypt, but do apply to the US.

From https://isaiah.1hwy.com/ in the discussion about Isaiah 19:

Why the association of Egypt with America? In Chapter 18 Isaiah describes "a far-distant land," "that sendeth forth ambassadors by the sea, even in vessels of bulrushes upon the waters, saying, Go, ye swift messengers" to scattered Israel. The tribe of Joseph, divided into two under his sons Ephraim and Manasseh, exhibited Egyptian culture-including the spoken and written language-long after the twelve tribes settled in the promised land. Their scriptures were written in Egyptian, on brass plates. The Nephites, descendants of Joseph who had migrated to the American continent and received it as their land of inheritance, wrote their scriptures in reformed Egyptian.

There are several other paragraphs discussing this relationship in detail. Many other Isaiah scholars also agree with this relationship. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is entirely correct, or that it is the only meaning, but it certainly appears to fit the bill.

NightHawk

Sponsored Links:
25th Oct, 2003 - 11:00pm / Post ID: #

Isaiah words the Great

I am intrigued by Isaiah 19.  Once I embraced the idea that "Egypt" is a metaphor for the modern United States, suddenly the first part of the chapter takes on special meaning.

At first, verse 2 especially appears to be talking about the US Civil War.  However, when looked at along with other modern prophecies, this is probably more about the very last days.  This is especially true when you look at verse 4, where the US is told that it will be ruled by a "cruel lord" and a "fierce king."  I think this is probably the "Assyrian King," who most people discuss as the "Antichrist" of Revelation.  (I don't really believe in the commonly accepted idea of an Antichrist, but that is a different topic).  There are differences between the Assyrian King and the common idea of the Antichrist.  The Assyrian King is probably the "little horn" from Daniel.

these verses indicate that the military might of the US will be wiped out by the Assyrian King.

So, what do you think?

With the current leaning of many American people to be "protected" by the government, I wouldn't guess that the US military is wiped out but rather used by this Fierce and Cruel King to subjugate the masses under the pretense of "security."

The destruction of the "heart" and "spirit" of the people so that Egypt then turns to idols, charmers, and wizards could be destruction of church leadership? Or the symbols we take as church leadership?

As to the brother turning against brother, I'm guessing we'll have a lot of strife in the Latter-Days. Food riots, energy shortages, and the ever-present race and ethnic problems in the US are surely going to escalate. Not to mention militia against the government smile.gif Maybe that would be why a "fierce" and "cruel" king is elected -- to stop all of the strife and bring order.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

26th Oct, 2003 - 8:54am / Post ID: #

Great are the words of Isaiah Studies Doctrine Mormon

The destruction of  the "heart" and "spirit" of the people so that Egypt then turns to idols, charmers, and wizards could be destruction of church leadership?  Or the symbols we take as church leadership?

Very interesting application. I think that Egypt refers to the actual nation of the United States, though. Ephraim and Israel refer to the Church throughout Isaiah. But still, the saints will definitely be going through what the rest of the US is.

There will definitely be strife among the saints.

Robert Smith, in his book, The Last Days Unsealed, goes into some depth about the last days aspects of Isaiah. I am not sure about a lot of his conclusions, but he sure brings up a lot of information about the cruel king (the Assyrian King) and the messianic king (the Davidic King).

Go to https://www.lastdaysunsealed.com/home.html if you want to learn more about what he has written. I enjoy it but definitely don't take it as authoritative.

NightHawk

17th Nov, 2003 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Isaiah words the Great

This may or may not be helpful here, but this is another page out of my scriptures. I am full of this kind of thing, but getting a good scan is a problem. The download is about 80kb.

user posted image

17th Nov, 2003 - 7:44pm / Post ID: #

Isaiah words the Great

I did a little research on lds.org, and found the original article.  It is Bruce R. McConkie, "Ten Keys to Understanding Isaiah," Ensign, Oct. 1973, 78.  It is worth reading.

For example:
[quote]If our eternal salvation depends upon our ability to understand the writings of Isaiah as fully and truly as Nephi understood them - and who shall say such is not the case - how shall we fare in that great day when with Nephi we shall stand before the pleasing bar of Him who said: "Great are the words of Isaiah"? ( 3 Ne. 23:1. )[/quote]

NightHawk

18th Nov, 2003 - 11:16am / Post ID: #

Great are the words of Isaiah

Great resource!  Thank you very much!  Reading Isaiah quoted (by Nephi?) in the Book of Mormon is interesting also.  This will be a great help to me with my studies.  I'm such a novice...

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Nov, 2003 - 1:08pm / Post ID: #

Great the words Isaiah - Page 2

Seeing that Nephi took the time to write the words of Isaiah let's me know several things:

1. The words of Isaiah are so important that they needed to be repeated
2. Isaiah may not have been planned for our present day Bible?
3. It is an automatic correct translation of those chapters since the Book of Mormon was translated by revelation
4. There are many hidden things that are in Isaiah's writings that the Lord wants us to know about and in effect, wants us to know about from the Old Testament.

Post Date: 17th Dec, 2006 - 6:15pm / Post ID: #

Great are the words of Isaiah
A Friend

Great the words Isaiah Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

One quick key to understanding Isaiah can be found in 1 Nephi 19:23

"...but that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning"

Two points:

1- Isaiah speaks of Christ - While reading Isaiah keep Christ in mind, this will help you see many connections you may not have seen before

2- Isaiah speaks to you - Why did Nephi choose this particular spot in his writing to teach us to "liken" scriptures to ourselves? I think it's because if you liken the scriptures of Isaiah to yourself you will learn much more. Many things I have learned from Isaiah haven't been about what he was prophesying about, but instead about what I should do in my own life.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Learn how to use the Quote Tags. See our Constuctive Posting Policy.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Great are the words of Isaiah

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,