Your Tribe? - Page 3 of 5

Wow, thanks for that info -- I didn't know - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Nov, 2003 - 10:46am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
26th Oct, 2003 - 8:19am / Post ID: #

Your Tribe? - Page 3

He told me that this meant that he didn't necessarily have to have counselors if he didn't want because people from this lineage are the ones who have the blessings of holding the priesthood and officiating within that role.

I have never heard this before. He may need to read the view of the Brethren on Councils.

Sponsored Links:
26th Oct, 2003 - 8:57am / Post ID: #

Tribe Your

I have heard this before.  However, I don't have the slightest clue of the source of the information.  And, it was at least two decades ago when I heard it, so don't even remember who I heard it from.

Could easily be a Mormon Urban Legend  ;)

NightHawk

Post Date: 27th Oct, 2003 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

Your Tribe?
A Friend

Your Tribe? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I have heard this before.  However, I don't have the slightest clue of the source of the information.  And, it was at least two decades ago when I heard it, so don't even remember who I heard it from.

Could easily be a Mormon Urban Legend  wink.gif

NightHawk

This was a bishop of mine of at least.... wow......15 years ago! How the time flies! I have no idea of the source of his information either. I could look it up, but quite frankly I don't have the interest to research it. Maybe someone else would be interested in researching it.

As you say, Nighthawk, it very well could be an urban legend. smile.gif

Post Date: 6th Nov, 2003 - 12:55am / Post ID: #

Your Tribe?
A Friend

Page 3 Tribe Your

Our Patriarchal Blessings are sacred, and inspired personal scripture.  It is my opinion that we should consider this guide to be personal scripture and study it as we would the Book of Mormon, Bible, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price and the words of the Prophets.  What other document can be said to be scripture specifically for us as individual, what other volume of scripture, what other words othered by the mouths of living oracles can be said to be for us specifically.  The answer to this is that there are none, the most important scripture we read I know to be our Patriarchal Blessing.  The Patriarchal Blessing generall does several things; it generally contains a opening statement in which the Patriarch will declare under what authority he is giving the Patriarchal Blessing and he will ask our Heavenly Father if it is His will that we should receive our Patriarchal Blessing.  The Patriarch is not in reality the one giving the blessing, it is our Father.  The Patriarchal Blessing will generally list the Tribe of Israel which we belong to (here is the key to many of the blessings, and responsibilities which are not enumerated in the Blessing itself, through careful scripture study we can come to understand what blessings we have and what responsibilities we are given), and then the Patriarch generally will list specific blessings and promises, noting that most promises are based on our worthiness and faithfulness and willingness to accept them.  No promise is given to those who are not willing to accept it (ie, the Father will not force His children to have any promises or blessings).

In short, it is my opinion that we should read our Patriarchal blessing as scriptures, look up definition of words, read it for scope, both specific and general and then analyze what the blessings, priveliges, promises and then to study the scripture, highlighting any words that we need to understand and then placing a scripture reference in our Patriarchal Blessing.  While I personally read my Patriarchal Blessing I have found the need to have printed up for me on several different pieces of paper so that I can mark it up without ruining the original, and I also keep a laminated copy of it in my scripture (if you want to do this go to any copy center, and for a few cents they will shrink it, and laminate it, of course you will want to make sure you can see them so that they don't read it)

9th Nov, 2003 - 9:38pm / Post ID: #

Tribe Your

I do read my Patriarchal Blessing as personal scripture.  I think I posted before that, if I had understood it and followed in when I was younger, I would have had a better life.

Now that I do understand the significance and the actual, literal words in the Blessing, I'll have a whole different future.  I'm working on studying the blessings promised to Ephraim as well, since I'm of that tribe.

Roz

Post Date: 16th Nov, 2003 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

Your Tribe?
A Friend

Your Tribe?

Reading your Patriarchal Blessing many times during your life is similar to reading the scriptures over and over. Many of the same scriptures I have studied have had different meaning and purpose for different situations and periods of my life.

I wonder if you are aware that you can obtain copies of your direct line deceased ancestors Patriarchal Blessing? I have learned alot about myself and have gained a better understanding of my personal patriarchal blessing from understanding the lives of my great and great/great grandparents.

Send a written request to: Archives Department, 50 East North Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3821

All fulfilled requests will be sent by mail so include your return mailing address.

The following is Required:

Money: A check/Money order for US$3.00 payable to the Corporation of the President.
Name: The person's full name as it appears on the blessing.
Date of Birth: Of the person who's blessing you're requesting.
Relationship: Explain your relationship to the person whose blessing you're wanting.
Also include as much of the following information as possible:

Name of Patriarch: The name of the Patriarch who gave the blessing.
Stake: The name of the Stake the Patriarch served in.
Year of Blessing: Give the year the person received the blessing.
Priority is given to living individuals requesting their Patriarchal Blessings and will be processed within 30 days. Requests for the blessings of deceased individuals will be processed in the order they are received.

To hear this same information on a recording call 801-240-3581 (Salt Lake City calling area) or toll free 1-800-453-3860 extension 3581.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Nov, 2003 - 11:09pm / Post ID: #

Your Tribe - Page 3

Thanks for posting that, we need that kind of information here so people can actually do something about it rather than just talk about it wink.gif

Further to this thread I was thinking of the 'requirements' to be a Patriarch. Really there isn't a training, but I do know the question is asked, 'Who is the most worthy man in your Stake?'

18th Nov, 2003 - 10:46am / Post ID: #

Your Tribe Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

Wow, thanks for that info -- I didn't know we could request ancestor's blessings.  How interesting!

JB, we recently had a Patriarch change, due to the two we currently have/had are both in their 90's and have many health problems. (They have waxed old smile.gif )  So shortly after our ward boundaries changed, the stake presidency announced a new Patriarch.  It isn't someone I would have expected, he seems too young to me smile.gif

A year or two ago I heard a rather new Patriarch speak at a fireside, and he mentioned taking several months after being called to read blessings, spend time with the retiring Patriarch, etc.  He even travelled to Salt Lake City to spend time in the Archives reading and studying.  And he said it took great courage to make that "first appointment" and have faith that the Spirit would find him worthy to speak through.  It made me realize the heavy responsibility a Patriarch carries.

Roz

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Your Tribe?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,