Mountain Meadows Massacre - Page 2 of 4

Its impossible to compare the two(The holocaust - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 31st Mar, 2008 - 11:16pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Mountain Meadows Massacre Quotes
Post Date: 21st Jun, 2007 - 12:19am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mountain Meadows Massacre - Page 2

THE MOUNTAIN MEADOWS MASSACRE
Ref. https://www.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/v/index.jsp...0004e94610aRCRD

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - This year marks the 150th anniversary of a tragedy in southern Utah known as the Mountain Meadows Massacre. An article that will appear in the September issue of the Ensign is being published in advance on Church Web sites because of significant public interest. Richard E. Turley Jr., the author, has spent many years researching the events surrounding the massacre.

Sponsored Links:
21st Jun, 2007 - 12:41am / Post ID: #

Massacre Meadows Mountain

Interesting article. I was glad to read the acknowledgment of the Church with regards to the involvement of prominent Church leaders in this horrible massacre. It is such a sensitive topic that I fully understand the anger and frustration that a lot of the descendants feel. This is *the* darkest event in Church history.

Post Date: 28th Mar, 2008 - 9:43pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mountain Meadows Massacre Studies Doctrine Mormon

CHURCH SEEKS NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK DESIGNATION
See https://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/en...ark-designation

CARROLLTON, Arkansas - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced several developments today in its efforts to memorialize the victims who were killed at Mountain Meadows more than 150 years ago in southern Utah.

28th Mar, 2008 - 10:23pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Massacre Meadows Mountain

Now that the Church has acknowledged some individual participation by lower level members, is there really anything more the Church can say or do?. This happened 150 years ago and LDS Church as an entity was not guilty, it was individuals of the Church. There is no excuse for the Murders, but the guilty parties are dead and gone.
I do not think any more apologies are necessary after what has been said.

28th Mar, 2008 - 10:33pm / Post ID: #

Massacre Meadows Mountain

Dbackers:

Now that the Church has acknowledged some individual participation by lower level members

What do you mean by lower level members? Church leaders were involved, the lower level members just followed their direction.

This happened 150 years ago and LDS Church as an entity was not guilty, it was individuals of the Church.

There are too many conflictive stories of who/whom are the responsible. It is one of those things we will never truly know.

There is no excuse for the Murders, but the guilty parties are dead and gone.

Okay. What's your point?

29th Mar, 2008 - 5:04am / Post ID: #

Mountain Meadows Massacre

Bishop's to me are lower level, Especially in the frontier west where communication was terrible. They were flawed laymen, and were mostly new members of the Church.

I have seen a trend in the United States that I just think is useless. Something that happens three or four Generations ago is not our responsibility. We did not do it and I don't feel any responsibility for their actions. It happened, I'm sorry, but I am not going to dwell on it any more. I do not feel any animosity toward the descendants of the Missouri Mob members who killed the Saints and the Prophet, why would I feel the need as a Church member to feel animosity toward my own Church as it stands now.

I see no need to apologize more then once, for things that I took no part in. To me apologizing for dead people seems to me to be disingenuous.

I do understand though why you feel the way you do, but I do not understand what we can do now that will have any significant effect on the situation.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Mar, 2008 - 12:06pm / Post ID: #

Mountain Meadows Massacre - Page 2

Dbackers:

Bishop's to me are lower level, Especially in the frontier west where communication was terrible. They were flawed laymen, and were mostly new members of the Church.

I mentioned Church leaders because that's exactly how the Church see them:

During the September 2007 memorial service, senior Church leader Elder Henry B. Eyring acknowledged that the responsibility rested with local leaders of the Church in the regions near Mountain Meadows who also held civic and military positions and with members of the Church acting under their direction.

I fully agree with you that we have apologized a lot, having said that what it bothers me is the mindset that because we apologized "enough" we should suddenly let it slide under the carpet. Unfortunately, this is one of those events in history that the Church will have to carry its cross for good. Just like the Jewish Holocaust.

31st Mar, 2008 - 11:16pm / Post ID: #

Mountain Meadows Massacre Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Its impossible to compare the two(The holocaust and the Mountain Meadows Massacre). One was institutionalized murder of 6 million of a certain race/culture, the other an isolated incident of the tragic killing of 120 people by individuals and leaders who will be punished accordingly in the hereafter.

The Church is "carrying the cross" so to speak as it has soured some peoples' view of the Church as a whole.

This is where I see the issue. An incident of violence is vastly different then history of violence. Every institution of the past, including the Church in the old and new testaments, had very prominent members who have done terrible things. We do not forget about these things as they are part of history. But there is no spiritual or cultural reason for the Church to say or do anything more then what it is doing now.

The Church like any individual can remember past wrongs, but there is no beneficial reason to continually bring them up a past sin once one has attempted to "repent" for the action.

Rather off topic, but...

My Great-Great Grandma on my mother's side was full blooded Cherokee indian. Does anyone owe me an apology for the terrible treatment by the U.S. Government because of their sins. I do not believe so. I see the issue of the Mountain Meadows Massacre in the same light. Who do you apologize to?

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Mountain Meadows Massacre

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,