Quotes that keep us 'in check' - Page 2 of 10

I really wish I could remember the exact quote... - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 11th Aug, 2003 - 11:19am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (10) »
6th Jun, 2003 - 7:45am / Post ID: #

Quotes that keep us 'in check' - Page 2

"The feeling of being lost in a crowd of life vanishes with the certain
knowledge that Heavenly Father is mindful of each of us."

(Thomas S. Monson, Ensign, May 2002, 20.)
[hr]
"We have to be careful what we desire, for the Lord grants us the desires
of our heart."

(Gerald N. Lund, 'The Opportunity to Serve',  Ensign, May 2002, 85)

Sponsored Links:
1st Jul, 2003 - 10:44pm / Post ID: #

check in us that Quotes

How grateful I am that President Hinckley has been inspired by the Lord to construct new temples at an unprecedented rate so that the ordinances are more accessible to members throughout the world. If you have received temple ordinances but do not now visit the temple, even when there is one nearby, with all the tenderness of my heart I invite you to come back to the temple. There are many reasons. It is a place of peace, solitude, and inspiration. Regular attendance will enrich your life with greater purpose. It will permit you to provide deceased ancestors the exalting ordinances you have received. Go to the temple. You know it is the right thing to do. Do it now.

Richard G. Scott, “Receive the Temple Blessings,” Ensign, May 1999, 25

I love that!  "Do it now."    Such a simple thing, yet profound.

Roz

15th Jul, 2003 - 8:28pm / Post ID: #

Quotes that keep us 'in check' Studies Doctrine Mormon

"Only in the complete surrender of our inner life may we rise above the
selfish, sordid pull of nature. . . . As the body dies when the spirit
leaves it, so the spirit dies when we exclude God from it.  I cannot
imagine peace in a world from which God and religion are banished."

(David O. McKay, Gospel Ideals, 295)

Post Date: 29th Jul, 2003 - 3:19am / Post ID: #

Quotes that keep us 'in check'
A Friend

Page 2 check in us that Quotes

These four quotes below I have had written in the inside pages of my scriptures for about 20 years or so. Whenever I feel like I'm getting off track, these pull me back. (I don't know how to do bold so I'll use the quote feature.)

[quote]It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for certainty the character of God, and to know that we may converse with him as one man converses with another.  (_Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith_, p. 345)[/quote]

[quote]The greatest quest is a search for God-- to determine his reality, his personal attributes, and to secure a knowledge of the gospel of his Son Jesus Christ. (_Ensign_, Nov. 1974, Howard W. Hunter) [/quote]

[quote]Meekness is not weakness or fear, but being teachable, virtuous, and obedient while consistently maintaining a mild temper and disposition. (unknown, but LDS.) [/quote]

[quote]Happiness is the object and design of our existence and will be the end thereof if we pursue the path that leads to it; which path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God. (_Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith_, p. 255-256) [/quote]

And these are some of the scriptures I bring to mind most often to help me keep in line:

When I'm afraid:  2nd Timothy 1:7: "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

To know that whenever I feel any kind of fear, whether it be anxiety, worry, impatience, frustration, anger, or just plain terror, I know that it is not of the Spirit and is therefore a lie, false, and I can choose to let it go and pray for help to do so. He gave us instead of fear, power to overcome it, power to overcome all things that are not of Him; the spirit of love, which is one of the most powerful tools to overcome fear; and a sound mind. Is anyone's mind sound when in a state of fear? A sound mind casts out fear, overpowering it with love and faith. Faith in God that He really has given us the power to overcome, Faith that He will grant us the love we need, the faith we need, and a sound mind to choose better than fear, to choose the Spirit of the Lord over fear.  I love this verse.

When I'm feeling like a failure because my weaknesses, faults and mistakes have caused pain to myself or others:  Ether 12:27:  "And if men come unto me I will show them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

I love this one because it tells me I am not worthless or a failure for having weaknesses. It instead reminds me that my weaknesses are a gift from my Father and my Savior, and are part of the process that is mortality. So instead of condemning myself, which I am prone to do, I use this scripture to remind myself that Jesus does not condemn me any more than he condemned the woman caught in adultery. This is a time of probation, not a time of judgement and condemnation (Alma 34). It is a time to make mistakes, discover our weaknesses that he shows us, turn to the Lord for help, strength, guidance and direction and everything else we stand in need of, including the power to make that weakness into a strength. And when I go to Him and ask for that help, ask for him to change me, He helps me as much as I am willing to be humble and follow the promptings and impressions of the Spirit, and I have hope that eventually my weaknesses really can become strengths, all because my Savior Jesus Christ's love for me.  It just fills me with hope even in my weakness instead of despair that the adversary wants me to give in to.

There are others, but I'll let that suffice for now. :-)

Thanks for listening if you got this far!

29th Jul, 2003 - 10:25am / Post ID: #

check in us that Quotes

Those are excellent quotes, I have heard them before but writing them in your scriptures sounds like a good idea to me.

Here is another one:

"The spirit must be freed from tethers so strong and feelings never put to
rest, so that the lift of life may give buoyancy to the soul. In many
families, there are hurt feelings and a reluctance to forgive. It doesn't
really matter what the issue was. It cannot and should not be left to
injure. Blame keeps wounds open. Only forgiveness heals. George Herbert, an
early 17th-century poet, wrote these lines: 'He that cannot forgive others
breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass if he would ever reach
heaven, for everyone has need of forgiveness.'"

(Thomas S. Monson, "Hidden Wedges," Ensign, May 2002, 19)

Post Date: 8th Aug, 2003 - 7:40pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

ELDER JEFFREY R HOLLAND"I TOO SAY TRUST JESUS HE WOULD RIDE YOUR STORM AND STILL YOUR TEMPEST"

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Aug, 2003 - 7:42pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Quotes that us 'in check' - Page 2

HYRUM SMITH WHILE IN CARTHAGE JAIL WAITING TO BE MURDER BY THE MOB OF IDIOTS  WROTE TO HIS WIFE MARY FIELDING SMITH AND SAID"BUT WHAT CAN I DO THY WILL BE DONE O LORD"

Post Date: 11th Aug, 2003 - 11:19am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Quotes that us 'in check' Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

I really wish I could remember the exact quote... It is from one of Gordon B Hinkley's talks at the last General Conference... When he told us that he has so much further to progress... My thought at that time and even now is, if the prophet of this church, the Lords own annointed servant has much more work to do in progression, then How much more have I?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: Quotes that keep us 'in check'

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,