The Book of Mormon - Page 14 of 16

"At the beginning of most dispensations, - Page 14 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 28th Sep, 2007 - 6:26pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 16 pgs.  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 

?
Poll: How many times have you read the whole Book of Mormon?
  Never       1.96%
  Once       21.57%
  Twice       19.61%
  Three to Five times       23.53%
  Six to Ten times       17.65%
  Eleven to Sixteen times       5.88%
  Seventeen to Twenty times       1.96%
  Over Twenty times       3.92%
  Over Thirty times       0.00%
  Over Forty times       1.96%
  So many times cannot remember       1.96%
Total Votes: 51
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
What do you know about this sacred Book of Scripture regarded as the foundation of the Mormon faith and what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is built on?
1st Jun, 2005 - 3:54am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon - Page 14

A couple of years ago, our gospel doctrine teacher gave us a handout of these two quotes. I keep them inside my Book of Mormon and read them periodically. They are powerful words from our past prophets.

"I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein.

1. The spirit of reverence will increase;
2. mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow.
3. The spirit of contention will depart.
4. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom.
5. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents.
6. Righteousness will increase.
7. Faith, hope, and charity-the pure love of Christ-will abound in our homes and lives,
8. bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness."

Marion G. Romney, "The Book of Mormon," Ensign, May 1980, 65 (I added the numbers to it to emphasize this incredible list of blessings.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"It is not just that the Book of Mormon teaches us truth, though it indeed does that. It is not just that the Book of Mormon bears testimony of Christ, though it indeed does that, too. But there is something more. There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book.

1. You will find greater power to resist temptation.
2. You will find the power to avoid deception.
3. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path.

The scriptures are called 'the words of life" (D&C 84:85), and nowhere is that more true than it is of the Book of Mormon. When you begin to hunger and thirst after those words, you will find life in greater and greater abundance.

Ezra Taft Benson, "The Book of Mormon-Keystone of Our Religion," Ensign, Nov. 1986, 4 (All emphasis, numbers, etc., are my additions.)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Jan, 2006 - 7:50pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon
A Friend

Mormon Book The

I am new here and hope to get more comfortable in offering my thoughts. It is not often that you find a group of people that are open and willing to discuss things not generally taught about. I like to read the Book of Mormon and I read it on a continual basis. But I have to admit my heart lies in the New Testament, I love John the Beloved and Peter, The Book of Revelations is a book I find as a release. I feel free to explore all my deep thoughts and feelings about the gospel in that book. I hope to some day grow a love for The Book of Mormon as I have for the New Testament.

7th Jun, 2006 - 3:47pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon Studies Doctrine Mormon

Opi, for me a true love comes from the Book of Mormon when you realize that a lot of what you believe as a Latter-Day Saint can only be found in the Book of Mormon. There are many truths found in the other ancient scriptures, but not as clear as the Book of Mormon. Unlike other Books such as the Old Testament (a particular favorite of mine) that talks about wars... you cannot get the feelings of those who fought as much as when Captain Moroni speaks.

Post Date: 17th Dec, 2006 - 6:03pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon
A Friend

Page 14 Mormon Book The

I've seen many people on here talk about how fast it can be read, or how many times they have read it. I'm glad I saw a few people write about what it means to them.

On my mission I made it a goal to read only one verse a day for 30 minutes. For example, I started in Moroni 10:34 and thought about that verse for about 15 minutes. Then, I looked up all the foot note scriptures and thought about what each of them meant. The next day I did the same thing for Moroni 10:33.

I started at the back because, like everybody else, I've read 1st Nephi too many times to count! This approach to reading the Book of Mormon obviously takes a lot longer. Several years, actually, but I learned a lot from it. I actually only got to Moroni Chapter 6.

Post Date: 31st Jan, 2007 - 10:01am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon
A Friend

Mormon Book The

I've read the Book of Mormon cover to cover twice and am now beginning my third read. I am disappointed in myself because I have been a member for 11 years now and should be doing better than that. I have also thought of playing the tapes but I like curling up and reading the stories and feeling the characters and their lives. Every time I re-read the Book of Mormon I learn something new about it and about myself!

Post Date: 11th Aug, 2007 - 7:21am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon
A Friend

The Book of Mormon

Well, What Can I Say About The Book Of Mormon..(Speechless:)) I Remember When I Went Tracting With The Sister Missionaries..The Sister That I Was With, Gave Me The Book Of Mormon To Hold..And I Remember Knocking On Three Or Four Doors And I Said To The Sister.."I Cant Be Bother Holding The Book Anymore, Can I Just Put It In My Bag Til We Need It"..She Said No, We Might Need It Along The Way..So We Knocked And Knocked, And I Think, It Was 5/10 Minutes Later, We Came To One House. We Couldn't See The Front Door Because It Was Covered With Trees, So My Companion Went Before Me And Headed Up The Front Stairs, (We Still Couldn't See The Front Door), So There We Were, Walking Up The Stairs, And A Huge Black Dog Comes Running Down Towards My Companion..The First Thought That Came To My Mind, Was To Run..My Poor Companion, Who Just Stood There, She Looked At Me And Said "Sister, The Book Of Mormon:))..I Gave Her The Book And She Showed It To The Dog, And Immediately, The Dog Stopped Right In Front Of Her And Then The Dog Headed Towards Me And She Gave Me The Book Of Mormon And I Did The Same Thing.."I Thought To My Self, Wow, Few Minutes Ago, I Was Lazy To Hold The Book"...That Day, I Remember Thinking To Myself, "The Book Of Mormon Is So Powerful, It Has The Power To Convert Anything..The Book Of Mormon Will Testify Of Itself To Anyone Who Is Willing To Read It..I Just Love It So Much..And I Can Go On And On About The Book Of Mormon.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please keep your messages free from extra characters that are not alpha / numeric (numeric should be for stats) while using good grammar. You will notice most Posts here are written without the use of 'chopped words', excessive smilies, slang, dialect(s) or Teeny Bopper scribbles. Stop posting in ALL CAPS!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Sep, 2007 - 10:13pm / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon - Page 14

I have teenagers that I was trying to find ways to "help" them want to read the Book of Mormon and amazingly I think I got more out of the resources than they did. It may seem somewhat childish in nature to some but it really helped me put the characters in perspective.

The one I really love because it based specifically on the Book of Mormon and his Testimony is "Book of Mormon Heroes"--by John Bytheway. I have both the DVD and the CD. It is geared toward the youth but when I read the Book of Mormon now and one of those "heroes" are mentioned I remember the things he talked about. I encourage everyone to borrow it if you know someone who has it.

The other which is NOT based on the Book of Mormon doctrine but more on the characters and "getting a feel" for what it may of been like and their customs is the "Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites" by Chris Heimerdinger. Again it is a fictional series but there are things that can be taken from it and put toward your study that you may not of otherwise thought of.

The last one, "Book of Mormon Sleuth " series by C.B. Anderson is unique in that it actually uses scripture for reference in a "code" like way and he doesn't always tell you the answers. It is his hope that one would be intrigued enough to go and find out on their own.

Anyhow, just a few things that helped our family become familiar with the setting and people. By far, John Bytheway is the best because it bears witness regarding the divinity and power of the Book of Mormon and the fact that they were real people like us.

Post Date: 28th Sep, 2007 - 6:26pm / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 14

"At the beginning of most dispensations, a book is given to the newly called prophet. Moses received tablets (see Exodus 31:18). Lehi was given a book to read concerning the destruction of Jerusalem (see 1 Nephi 1:11-14). Ezekiel was given 'a roll of a book' (Ezekiel 2:9-10) containing the Lord's message for the house of Judah in his day. John the Revelator on the Isle of Patmos was shown a book with seven seals (see Revelation 5; D&C 77:6). Is it any wonder, then, that the Lord would provide a book containing the fulness of the gospel as part of the 'restitution of all things'? The Book of Mormon has the power to draw all men and women to Christ. Its references to the Savior's Atonement are the clearest on record with regard to its purpose and powers."

(Merrill J. Bateman, "A Pattern for All," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 75)

+  « First of 16 pgs.  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 

> TOPIC: The Book of Mormon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,