The Book of Mormon - Page 9 of 16

I've read 1 Nephi about a 150 times, - Page 9 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th Apr, 2004 - 6:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 16 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...Latest (16) »

?
Poll: How many times have you read the whole Book of Mormon?
  Never       1.96%
  Once       21.57%
  Twice       19.61%
  Three to Five times       23.53%
  Six to Ten times       17.65%
  Eleven to Sixteen times       5.88%
  Seventeen to Twenty times       1.96%
  Over Twenty times       3.92%
  Over Thirty times       0.00%
  Over Forty times       1.96%
  So many times cannot remember       1.96%
Total Votes: 51
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
What do you know about this sacred Book of Scripture regarded as the foundation of the Mormon faith and what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is built on?
26th Feb, 2004 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon - Page 9

I've thought a lot about it. I think that we (the Church) need to learn how to pay proper attention to the Book of Mormon. We need to live up to the eternal covenants we have made.

What is in it? For one thing, we know that there is even more of what John wrote in Revelation, as the brother of Jared was given an extensive vision of all of history, but John was given the right to present it to the world.

Other than that, I don't think there is much information about what is in the sealed portion.

NightHawk

Sponsored Links:
26th Feb, 2004 - 1:39am / Post ID: #

Mormon Book The

learn how to pay proper attention to the Book of Mormon.

And what is the proper way? Is it 30 minutes a day as Pres. Benson instructed, or is it that each member has to be talking about it more?

One thing I love about the Book of Mormon, it makes so plain very 'deep' or 'hidden' truths. In fact, it makes it so simple that we can easily pass over them. Such themes as 'What makes God a God', the 'Intelligences', 'Restoration of self to next life', etc.

26th Feb, 2004 - 1:49am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon Studies Doctrine Mormon

Good question. I think that 30 minutes per day of STUDY, not just reading, is probably a good place to start. Of course, I can barely get a few minutes per day, so I am preaching to myself the most.

Talking about it is definitely NOT sufficient. Most of us don't really know enough about it to talk that much about it.

Yes, the Book of Mormon is easy to read and understand. But it is also much deeper than most of us have any idea about. What do the chiasms have to tell us? What other structural messages are there in it? How much is it a type and shadow of the Last Days? What exactly does it tell us to watch for?

NightHawk

26th Feb, 2004 - 1:57am / Post ID: #

Page 9 Mormon Book The

Thanks for your reply, I think that greater conversation needs to be placed on the Book of Mormon. At Church, you will quicker hear someone quote from the Bible or tell a New Testament story than they would with the Book of Mormon. Sometimes I believe members treat the Book of Mormon as a 'back-up' book to prove a theme, rather than the central part of any doctrine. In other words, 'let's look for it in the Bible first and if it is not worded just right let's check the Book of Mormon.' I believe the Book of Mormon has to be treated in similar respect to how the muslims treat their Quran.

26th Feb, 2004 - 4:23am / Post ID: #

Mormon Book The

Avraham Gileadi is writing a weekly Gospel Doctrine supplement, with in-depth analysis of the literary structures and messages contained within the Book of Mormon.
This sounds really interesting -- I'll check that out. Thanks Nighthawk smile.gif

Think about the sealed portion of the Book of Mormon, what could be in there that we were not worthy of it?

Most of us don't really know enough about it to talk that much about it.

Sometimes I believe members treat the Book of Mormon as a 'back-up' book to prove a theme, rather than the central part of any doctrine.

And isn't that all a sad commentary on us, collectively as Saints? The Book of Mormon is supposed to be the one of the cornerstones of our religion -- How can we expect to receive more light and knowledge if we don't study what we have? ((I think that is one of Satan's tricks, to make us so busy -- even busy with "good" things -- that we think we have no time to study/pray/ponder/serve etc. etc. etc.))

I believe the Book of Mormon has to be treated in similar respect to how the muslims treat their Quran.

I agree -- and I hadn't thought about it quite that way before. We really should realize what a treasure we have, and study and revere it and KNOW it inside out. This is going to be a goal for me.

Roz

26th Feb, 2004 - 3:11pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon

First, to me, paying more attention to the Book of Mormon would mean placing a greater emphasis in our personal lives on trying to live by the prinicipals taught, or made more clear, in it. This, of course, means we must read it regularly in order to keep the teachings fresh in our minds. I am not sure about at set time for study each day. I just think we need to start where we are and make an honest effort to do what we can.

As far as treating it like a backup or trying to use the Bible first, I think we do that because we are all so busy trying to prove we are Christians. What I mean is that the Book or Mormon is what makes us different. We get accused of not following the Bible. Many faiths think we only use the Book of Mormon like Muslims do with Quran. They don't realize we also use the Bible as a companion to the Book of Mormon. So, in our efforts to always be missionaries, we try to find the common ground in the Bible. It is like we are saying it is in the Bible, and since the Book of Mormon also says it, you can trust this from the Book of Mormon and not dismiss it. We kind of apologize for our belief in the Book or Mormon by trying to show it is also in the Bible.

I think we have lost our focus. The Book or Mormon makes teachings in the Bible more clear, but that isn't all it does. It is an important work of scripture all on it's own. I know we all know this, but I think this is why many in the Church have shied away from emphasizing the Book of Mormon. Nothing intentional, just an attempt to reach out to non-members or new converts. However, I think it is not in our best interest or theirs to do this.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 8th Apr, 2004 - 12:10am / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon - Page 9

"Young men, the Book of Mormon will change your life. It will fortify you
against the evils of our day. It will bring a spirituality into your life
that no other book will. It will be the most important book you will read
in preparation for a mission and for life. A young man who knows and loves
the Book of Mormon, who has read it several times, who has an abiding
testimony of its truthfulness, and who applies its teachings will be able
to stand against the wiles of the devil and will be a mighty tool in the
hands of the Lord."

(Ezra Taft Benson, "To the 'Youth of the Noble Birthright,' " Ensign, May 1986, 43.)

Post Date: 12th Apr, 2004 - 6:18am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon
A Friend

The Book Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 9

I've read 1 Nephi about a 150 times, but I've only read Moroni about 10 times. maybe I should start reading the book from the end first to even it out. Also, any chapter that says compare with Isaiah, I tend to skim over. I'm sorry, but I don't agree with Nephi when he says Isaiah speaks so plainly.

I recently read el libro de mormon from cover to cover. That's Book of Mormon in Spanish. I served a mission to Argentina in the late 1970's but never read the B of M in spanish till now. It was an amazing experience. I had to keep an English copy nearby to check unknown words, but as i got deeper into the book, it was almost as if the gift of tounges returned. I rarely had to look at my english scriptures for a transalation toward the end. There were some words, not common, that I didnt know the english equivelant for, but yet I understood the passage as if it were my native tounge.

I wanted to share a great Book of Mormon web site. Not an official church site but a personal web site owned by Brant Gardner. The entire Book is on this site and you can read comments, interpretations, explanations etc. Check it out.

https://frontpage2000.nmia.com/~nahualli/commentary.htm

> TOPIC: The Book of Mormon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,