The Book of Mormon - Page 10 of 16

melodilynn, first, welcome back. It is nice - Page 10 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 20th May, 2004 - 2:30am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 16 pgs.  6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...Latest (16) »

?
Poll: How many times have you read the whole Book of Mormon?
  Never       1.96%
  Once       21.57%
  Twice       19.61%
  Three to Five times       23.53%
  Six to Ten times       17.65%
  Eleven to Sixteen times       5.88%
  Seventeen to Twenty times       1.96%
  Over Twenty times       3.92%
  Over Thirty times       0.00%
  Over Forty times       1.96%
  So many times cannot remember       1.96%
Total Votes: 51
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
What do you know about this sacred Book of Scripture regarded as the foundation of the Mormon faith and what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is built on?
12th Apr, 2004 - 6:26am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon - Page 10

I've read 1 Nephi about a 150 times, but I've only read Moroni about 10 times.

I am sure a lot of people can relate to the first part of that easily and fewer still can say they reached the end - good job.

I enjoyed your notes about the Spanish version, maybe LDS will find that site interesting, she has actually given up most of her Spanish version books and scriptures for English because she says the Spanish version says many things different.

Sponsored Links:
12th Apr, 2004 - 2:05pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Book The

I was reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish at my free periods in the school where I teach and I found myself feeling so odd about the names of the Book of Mormon, I don't know in the begining I could not read the scriptures in English if I didn't have my Spanish copy near by but now, I almost gave up my Spanish scriptures and read all of them in English. I find that several things are not translated properly and are kind of confusing, some footnotes are also missing in the Spanish Translation of the Book of Mormon. undecided.gif

12th Apr, 2004 - 2:59pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon Studies Doctrine Mormon

Gaucho, I agree that Isaiah isn't clear and easy to understand. He was easy for Nephi for two reasons. Nephi understood the style and structure of Jewish prophecy, which he claims is very important to help understand Isaiah (as well as the other OT prophets).

The second reason is that Nephi had the spirit of prophecy. This enabled him to understand Isaiah.

If we want to understand Isaiah, we need the spirit of prophecy ourselves. Fortunately, the Lord has given us tools that help us to understand the Jewish style of prophecy. Avraham Gileadi has written some marvelous books to help understand Isaiah from this point of view. The spirit of prophecy is up to us.

Jesus, when speaking to the Nephites in 3 Nephi, commanded them (and us) to study the words of Isaiah. Isaiah is extremely important, especially for our day. The chapters in the Book of Mormon should show us which parts of Isaiah are particularly important to our time.

Post Date: 18th May, 2004 - 12:37pm / Post ID: #

Page 10 Mormon Book The

"Let this message be sounded in every ear with an angelic trump; let it
roll round the earth in resounding claps of never-ending thunder; let it be
whispered in every heart by the still, small voice. Those who believe the
Book of Mormon and accept Joseph Smith as a prophet thereby open the
door to salvation; those who reject the book outright or who simply fail to
learn its message and believe its teachings never so much as begin to
travel that course along the strait and narrow path that leads to eternal
life."

(Bruce R. McConkie, "What Think Ye of the Book of Mormon?" Ensign, Nov. 1983, 72.)

19th May, 2004 - 3:29am / Post ID: #

Mormon Book The

Hurray for me! I've just finished reading the BoM again, cover to cover. It took much longer this time, what with moving and working long hours (and I cut the amount of pages by half), but I stuck with it, and I did it again. I'm trying to make it a habit that I read 10 pages a day. I've got my book marked to end with a chapter about every 10 pages -- sometimes it's only 9, sometimes it's 11 or 12. So about every two months, if I stick to the schedule, I will cycle through the book. I want to know it, and know it well -- this is the scripture for our generation, for the Last Days. I'm very glad I've made this a commitment that I can stick to.

Roz
(Not bragging, just sharing my happiness smile.gif )

19th May, 2004 - 9:45am / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon

Congrats on your second reading of the BOM Roz. I think your goal for reading it are awesome. I agree about how important this book is. I hope you are also taking time to read some of the other scriptures as well. Or, at least to do so during the years we study them in Gospel Doctrine.

Good Work!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th May, 2004 - 11:44pm / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon - Page 10

melodilynn accidentally pressed the "report" button instead of the "reply" button, and so I got this post from her. Here it is:

I haven't stopped by here in a long, long time, but just dropped in and this was the first topic I've explored.

I have read the Book of Mormon many, many times through. That said, I really enjoyed a talk that I heard not too long ago, and I can't remember who the speaker was but it was on BYU TV. Anyway, the speaker was saying that rather than just read the Book of Mormon as if it were a story that we should be seeking wisdom out of the Book of Mormon.

In other words, there is nothing wrong with reading it from cover to cover as you would a novel, but that there are deeper truths within it than one would find in a novel. Sometimes a slower reading of it is better, taking the time to ponder and apply the messages that we are reading.

I've known people who have completely read the Book of Mormon many times over, but they have never let the messages and truths within the book take hold in their heart and change their lives. I think that is the true value and the true goal of reading the Book of Mormon, to let it enter our hearts and change our lives.

Sheryl

20th May, 2004 - 2:30am / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 10

melodilynn, first, welcome back. It is nice to see you posting again. I hope you stick around. I agree with what you have posted, but of course if you don't begin by reading it, you can never progress to studying it. I believe if we are truly reading it with a desire to understand then we will get something out of it each time we read it. I think this is true even if we read it rather quickly. Yes, we would get more with an extremely slow study of each verse, but most of us will be somewhere between that and speed reading. As long as we aren't just reading it to say we did and not worrying about content, I think we are on the right track. Then again, even if we are just speed reading it, I believe the book is powerful enough to still impart something to the reader, even if it is just something spiritual rather than a intelectual level.

> TOPIC: The Book of Mormon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,