The Book of Mormon - Page 12 of 16

Good for you!! That's - Page 12 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd May, 2004 - 5:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 16 pgs.  8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 

?
Poll: How many times have you read the whole Book of Mormon?
  Never       1.96%
  Once       21.57%
  Twice       19.61%
  Three to Five times       23.53%
  Six to Ten times       17.65%
  Eleven to Sixteen times       5.88%
  Seventeen to Twenty times       1.96%
  Over Twenty times       3.92%
  Over Thirty times       0.00%
  Over Forty times       1.96%
  So many times cannot remember       1.96%
Total Votes: 51
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
What do you know about this sacred Book of Scripture regarded as the foundation of the Mormon faith and what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is built on?
22nd May, 2004 - 4:52pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon - Page 12

I would add that there is lots of information online. Just be choosy about your sources.

Start with https://www.lds.org then look at the periodicals that are available. You can search on all types of things.

Look also at https://byustudies.byu.edu/ This site has a lot of articles from the BYU Studies magazine, which is a very scholarly journal.

There are other good resources for historical information. Of course, GospeLink has lots and lots of great stuff.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 22nd May, 2004 - 9:08pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon
A Friend

Mormon Book The

To reply to the original question in this thread, I think I'm the person who said in the poll that I've read it over 20 times, I might have said over 40. I don't remember which. All I do know is that when I served my mission, I always had my nose buried in the scriptures or in some LDS book when I had free-time, study-time, etc. Regardless of how many times I've read it, I've always learned something new.

All of those times reading the BOM, doesn't mean that I haven't had my times of struggle with the church. There was a huge rift in my family that developed essentially over my stepfather who was a Patriarch in our Stake for many years, but was exercising unrighteouse dominion. Utilizing his position of power in the church for good and for the praise of the members while abusing his family at home. He was Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It led me to question how the leaders of the church could leave him in his position when they knew what he was doing. But even though this was only 20 years ago, it was still something new to the leadership, or at least, how to deal with it was. Now the church has very specific guidelines about church leaders abusing their family. Anyway, it led to years of inactivity for me. Terrible years for me, years of Alcohol and Drugs and things I now look back on and wonder how and why I did the things that I did. Even during the worst of times, there were always kind Bishops and Home Teachers who came by and never gave up on me. Even though they could never understand the things my family went through really, and it remains an unknown subject among almost all in our area, a dark little secret among members who still speak of my now dead stepfather as if he was a General Authority.

But when I came back, I came back because of one thing. A member of the Elders Quorum visited the house and said to me that when he was in his darkest moments, he always turned to the Book of Mormon for answers. As the days passed, i finally decided to pick up the Book of Mormon again and within a half a page, my testimony started to come back because I had read the Book of Mormon so many times that I couldn't in the very depths of my soul, no matter what terrible things had happened in my family, deny that book.

I now look back on my inactivity, with a Temple Recommend in my wallet, and thank my heavenly father that he allowed me to go through all the things he did. I'm actually thankful for my inactivity as odd as that might sound. During my years of inactivity, I've heard what every apostate, what every adversary of the church has had to say about it and passed through the other side. I've tested the waters and found them lacking.

The church isn't lacking and my testimony is so much stronger now than it ever was. I feel my testimony running through me almost as if it was my blood. A testimony in part of that magnificent book of peace.

22nd May, 2004 - 9:14pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon Studies Doctrine Mormon

Thanks for sharing that, quite interesting and yes, the Book of Mormon has really strengthened me in down moments, especially when I read some of the prayers of the Prophets - I found myself actually reading their words as a prayer with great results.

Offtopic but,
You should check the thread about abuse and add some of your experience there too, it might help someone.

22nd May, 2004 - 10:01pm / Post ID: #

Page 12 Mormon Book The

Now, that is exactly why the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion. If it isn't true, neither is the Church. If it is, well...

I don't think you can read the Book of Mormon with real intent to study it and not come away with a knowledge of the truths in it and therefore, without a deeper knowledge of the truthfulness of the gospel either.

23rd May, 2004 - 3:57pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Book The

Thank you for sharing that, BigMac. I agree with your opinion of going "through the fire" during your inactive time. I've been there, done that, and I completely understand your point of view. There is a "plenty" and there is a "lack"... and I finally know where the "plenty" is, having seen the other side.

The truths in the BoM are so profound... and many are mysteries until we seek for them. I hope to become more aware of them as I progress in my knowledge of this special book.

Roz

Post Date: 23rd May, 2004 - 5:31pm / Post ID: #

The Book of Mormon
A Friend

The Book of Mormon

Thank you all for your most kind thoughts.

I know how grateful I am to be back in the fold and how much the Book of Mormon has played a role in that. One of the great blessings that is happening to me this year is that I am reading the Book of Mormon with my mother, who has never fully read it all the way through. We make appointments to get together during the week and read the Sunday School Lesson Assignment. It helps her read the book and has made our relationship grow even closer. No matter what happens, we always seem to find time to keep the appointment. I'm not embarrassed to admit that I've even broken dates on Saturday night to keep the BOM reading assignments up to date with old mom laugh.gif:-->laugh.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd May, 2004 - 5:37pm / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon - Page 12

That is awesome BigMac. I am glad you can share this experience with your mother. Not only do you both end up reading the book and getting the blessing that come from that, but you also have the blessing of the time together while doing it.

23rd May, 2004 - 5:37pm / Post ID: #

The Book Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 12

Good for you!! That's wonderful! I so wish I could convince my mother to open the cover.... You know how blessed you will both be for these efforts smile.gif

Roz

+  « First of 16 pgs.  8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 

> TOPIC: The Book of Mormon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,