Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall... - Page 8 of 79

QUOTE ...and you will see the list of all - Page 8 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 11th Jul, 2003 - 10:28pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 79 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...Latest (79) »
Mormon doctrine on polygamy Mormon Doctrine on Plural Marriage - This Thread goes deep into all the angles of Mormon Polygamy, the requirement of Celestial Marriage which once encompassed Plural Marriage and the current standing of it with the modern Church. Also deeply analyzed is Joseph Smith's secret practise of it that latter lead to his death. Controversial Mormon Issue.
Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall... Related Information to Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall...
3rd Jul, 2003 - 9:04pm / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall... - Page 8

I think the big deal about the whole matter is that people relate marriage to sexual relations only and forget the bigger picture. I doubt that this 'area' in our lives will be the same as it is now. I mean we will see it as a form of procreation and not as a base desire. If we can say that a man can have many friends that are women, then we would see nothing wrong with it. I but when we say a man can have many wives, the mind immediately falls on the sexual part and questions like... Sharing love?, sharing intimacy?, etc come into play. Something that helps me understand this is how is it possible for Heavenly Father to have love for each of us individually out of billions of children. When I think about that then I see that it must be possible that plural marriage does not leave any woman left out. Of course I am sure there must be some 'graduating' process for the man. What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
3rd Jul, 2003 - 11:12pm / Post ID: #

Shall Women Day That Marriage Plural

When I think about that then I see that it must be possible that plural marriage does not leave any woman left out. Of course I am sure there must be some 'graduating' process for the man. What are your thoughts?

Well, I don't agree with you. Historical facts and common sense in my opinion would say that a marriage that has more than one wife, women feel left out for sure!!!! how a man can possible 'maintain' 17 or 30 wives at the same time?? not only the monetary issue but the love issue, the attention, the intimacy, etc. It's impossible. Some of those wives in the past felt jealous, angry, etc because their husband didn't spend too much time with them but he did with other wives. So I think some women in plural marriages in the past felt left out.

4th Jul, 2003 - 11:52am / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall... Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think the big deal about the whole matter is that people relate marriage to sexual relations only and forget the bigger picture. I doubt that this 'area' in our lives will be the same as it is now. I mean we will see it as a form of procreation and not as a base desire. .......  Of course I am sure there must be some 'graduating' process for the man. What are your thoughts?

I think men and women view this subject very differently.  In the time of the Church when it was practiced, there was a real need for women to be under the protection of a man -- in addition to many of the men having been killed or were in hiding.  Times were tough.  I doubt that any man who was married to 15 - 30 women thought it was a dream come true.  Can you imagine trying to handle all the problems, as head of the household, mediating arguments, deciding who did what, all of those *children*....  And it would stand to reason that some of the wives were preferred to others, due to the fact that many were brought into the marriage out of necessity, not for love or attraction.

In my opinion, I would imagine the women in larger households forming greater bonds with each other than with the one man (and I am not talking sexually!).  Caring for a large househould would have taken great patience, personal strength, and integrity, in addition to coordinating all the events and housekeeping, etc.  Like running a dormitory or an orphanage.

The smaller polygamous units of "only" 2-10 wives probably would have had more in-fighting and jealousies.

In my opinion.

Roz

4th Jul, 2003 - 2:10pm / Post ID: #

Page 8 Shall Women Day That Marriage Plural

I think men and women view this subject very differently.  In the time of the Church when it was practiced, there was a real need for women to be under the protection of a man -- in addition to many of the men having been killed or were in hiding.  

Roz, thanks for your comments. I don't know how much have you study the subject of Plurality of wives but historically based on dates and other stuff, the reason of men being killed or being hidding as a possible reason of polygamy is unaccurate. Remember that Joseph Smith received this Revelation very early but  he didn't open talk about this (preach it) after years he received and very few individuals knew about it but it wasn't something Smith openly preached as  a Church Doctrine until AFTER Brigham Young reached the Salt Lake City Valley and he spoke about it as Doctrine. That's why the reason that some members give about the need for these women to have husbands because some of them were widows is not really the case. The proof is that Joseph Smith was sealed mostly to single women and NOT widows and already married women. Same case with Brigham Young. Polygamy operated in SOME cases almost like a welfare system to provide for widows and single women among the Saints, but the cases are very few,  that 's not why the practice was introduced. The real reasons have not been given, but common sense and Doctrine and Covenants 132 would suggest that polygamy is obviously a way to rapidly increase a population.

4th Jul, 2003 - 3:09pm / Post ID: #

Shall Women Day That Marriage Plural

In the interview that Pres. Hinckley had with Larry King in September 8th, 1998 there is a part that I would like to know your thoughts about it, I am looking for the CNN link for it so you can read the whole interview, but CNN transcript don't have it available anymore but maybe you can look to different web sites where they have the whole interview. I looked in different LDS sites and all of them have  exactly the same transcript.
Talking about Plurarity of Wives...

KING: Now the big story raging in Utah before we get back to morals and morals, is the big story, if you don't know it, is polygamy in Utah; there's been major charges. The governor, Mike Leavitt, says that there are legal reasons why the state of Utah has not prosecuted alleged polygamists. Leavitt said plural marriage may be protected by the First Amendment. He is the great-great-grandson is the governor of a polygamist. First tell me about the church and polygamy. When it started it allowed it?

HINCKLEY: When our people came west they permitted it on a restricted scale.

KING: You could have a certain amount of...

HINCKLEY: The figures I have are from between two percent and five percent of our people were involved in it. It was a very limited practice; carefully safeguarded. In 1890, that practice was discontinued. The president of the church, the man who occupied the position which I occupy today, went before the people, said he had, oh, prayed about it, worked on it, and had received from the Lord a revelation that it was time to stop, to discontinue it then. That's 118 years ago. It's behind us.

KING: But when the word is mentioned, when you hear the word, you think Mormon, right?

HINCKLEY: You do it mistakenly. They have no connection with us whatever. They don't belong to the church. There are actually no Mormon fundamentalists.

KING: Are you surprised that there's, apparently, a lot of polygamy in
Utah?

HINCKLEY: I have seen the thing grow somewhat. I don't know how much it is. I don't know how pervasive it is.

KING: Should there be arrests?

HINCKLEY: It's matter of civil procedure. The church can't do anything. We have no authority in this matter, none whatever.

KING: Would you like to see the state to clamp down on it?

HINCKLEY: I think I leave that entirely in the hands of the civil officers. It's a civil offense. It's in violation of the law. We have nothing to do with it. We're totally distanced from it. And if the state chooses to move on it, that's a responsibility of civil officers.

KING: President Hinckley, when the press pays attention to it, it does affect you, certainly, in a public relations sense?

HINCKLEY: It does, because people mistakenly assume that this church has something to do with it. It has nothing whatever to do with it. It has had nothing to do with it for a very long time. It's outside the realm of our responsibility. These people are not members. Any man or woman who becomes involved in it is excommunicated from the church.

KING: Prosecutors in Utah are quoted as saying they told "The Salt Lake Tribune" that it's difficult to prosecute polygamists because of a lack of evidence; that ex-wives and daughters rarely complain about it. Do you see that as a problem?

HINCKLEY: Well, it's secretive. There's a certain element of secretiveness about it. I suppose they have some difficulty they say they do, in gathering evidence.

KING: Should the church be more forceful in speaking out? I mean, you're forceful here tonight, but maybe they've been saying that it's rather than just a state matter, encouraging the state to prosecute.

HINCKLEY: I don't know. We'll consider it.

KING: I'm giving you an idea.

HINCKLEY: Yes.

KING: Would you look better if you were...

HINCKLEY: I don't know that we would or not. As far as I'm concerned, I have nothing to do with it. It belongs to the civil officers of the state.

KING: You condemn it.

HINCKLEY: I condemn it, yes, as a practice, because I think it is not doctrinal. It is not legal. And this church takes the position that we will abide by the law. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, magistrates in honoring, obeying and sustaining the law.

Plural Marriage is not Doctrinal?. What do you think?.

6th Jul, 2003 - 11:58pm / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall...

Roz, thanks for your comments. I don't know how much have you study the subject of Plurality of wives but historically based on dates and other stuff, the reason of men being killed or being hidding as a possible reason of polygamy is unaccurate.
The real reasons have not been given, but common sense and Doctrine and Covenants 132 would suggest that polygamy is obviously a way to rapidly increase a population.

Thank you for enlightening me :-)   No, I havent't studied it, really; just was spouting what I had heard before.
And I suppose it's one of those things we have to take on Faith and Prayer, in addition to studying.

I think I'll check things out a little more before I go talking about stuff I don't anything about!!!

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th Jul, 2003 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage That Day Women Shall... - Page 8

And I suppose it's one of those things we have to take on Faith and Prayer, in addition to studying.

That's so true smile.gif

I think I'll check things out a little more before I go talking about stuff I don't anything about!!!

Oh no please, share whatever you think in here. You're more than welcome to do it, after all the purpose of this thread is to discuss about it more deeply and yes look for more answers. smile.gif  If you're interested in the subject you can start your research by reading deeply Doctrine and Covenants 132 then 'Church History in the Fulness of Time' (Institute Manual) , 'Doctrine and Covenants' (Institute Manual) and check https://www.familysearch.org make a search for Joseph Smith (put Emma Smith as wife because if not you will get a huge list of Josephs) and you will see the list of all his wives and if you pay attention you will see that most of them were singles and others married. You can also make a search for Brigham Young and you will see the same thing including, some of his wives that were married first then sealed to Joseph and then married to him without getting a divorce first.
All this info is in the Genealogy web site of the Church.

11th Jul, 2003 - 10:28pm / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage That Day Women Shall... Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 8

...and you will see the list of all his wives and if you pay attention you will see that most of them were singles and others married. You can also make a search for Brigham Young and you will see the same thing including, some of his wives that were married first then sealed to Joseph and then married to him without getting a divorce first.
All this info is in the Genealogy web site of the Church.

Well, isn't that interesting?  I will definitely check that out!

Oh no please, share whatever you think in here. You're more than welcome to do it, after all the purpose of this thread is to discuss about it more deeply and yes look for more answers.

Thank you smile.gif  But really, I want to be more precise with my posts and responses -- what I "heard" I should confirm before I pass it along.

Roz

> TOPIC: Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall...

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,