Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall... - Page 76 of 79

QUOTE (WilforW) We still practise it when - Page 76 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Apr, 2014 - 1:44pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 79 pgs.  72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 
Mormon doctrine on polygamy Mormon Doctrine on Plural Marriage - This Thread goes deep into all the angles of Mormon Polygamy, the requirement of Celestial Marriage which once encompassed Plural Marriage and the current standing of it with the modern Church. Also deeply analyzed is Joseph Smith's secret practise of it that latter lead to his death. Controversial Mormon Issue.
Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall... Related Information to Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall...
Post Date: 13th Apr, 2014 - 1:30pm / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall...
A Friend

Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall... - Page 76

You are not understanding what I am trying to say. Never did I say that the Church was in apostasy do to disobedience to the practice of plural marriage, no, what I said was that most of the Church is in apostasy do to the fact that they, instead of drawing closer to God and to Zion are unfortunately pulling themselves away from Him and closer to Babylon.

Many of our leaders are discrediting those who went before, and are doubting the authority in which they themselves claim authority. Take for instance what Joseph Smith has said:

international QUOTE
When did I ever teach anything wrong from this stand? When was I ever confounded? I want to triumph in Israel before I depart hence and am no more seen. I never told you I was perfect; but there is no error in the revelations which I have taught. Must I, then, be thrown away as a thing of naught?

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Section Six 1843 44, p. 368
(At the Stand, May 12, 1844, Nauvoo, Ill. ) HC 6:366

Yet we have members in high standings who are openly refuting the doctrines taught by our Prophet; and are claiming they do not know why such doctrines were ever taught. Throwing away our beloved Prophet as a thing of naught.

Brigham Young said this about Plural Marriage:
international QUOTE
The only men who become Gods, even the Sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy. Others attain unto a glory and may even be permitted to come into the presence of the Father and the Son; but they cannot reign as kings in glory, because they had blessings offered unto them, and they refused to accept them.

Journal of Discourses, Vol. 11, p. 268 - p. 269, Brigham Young, August 19, 1866

What is necessary for our salvation all depends on what salvation you are talking about. Remember there are three glories in the celestial kingdom. If we take Brigham Young's speech literally(As we should) than those who do not enter into polygamy will not become Gods, or the Sons of God.

God knows all things and He knows who His children are; and He sends those who have earned their right to become the Sons of God in the generations when that opportunity is afforded to them. We should not question the wisdom of God or His purposes.

Now are we to take everything the prophets of this Church say as the word of God; No. Brigham Young once stated that he does not expect anyone to just follow what he says without seeking the reassurance of the Spirit first. The key to understanding and knowing for a surety of all things is the Spirit.

My testimony is this: I know that the priesthood still resides in the Church today. I know that although the Church is God's Church, many of it's members are not of God; meaning they are children of the devil.

Take for instance what is taught in Alma 30:
international QUOTE
42 Behold, I know that thou believest, but thou art possessed with a lying spirit, and ye have put off the Spirit of God that it may have no place in you; but the devil has power over you, and he doth carry you about, working devices that he may destroy the children of God.

60 And thus we see the end of him who perverteth the ways of the Lord; and thus we see that the devil will not support his children at the last day, but doth speedily drag them down to hell.

Have not the members of the Church perverted the ways of God, confessing Jesus with their lips, but with their hearts denying His power. How many times have you heard a member of the Church say: "Well I'm not perfect"? By saying and believing such we are denying the power of the atonement.

Listen to what John said:
international QUOTE
In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

The scriptures are plain on these two facts: If we are righteous then we are God's children, If we are disobedient then we are children of the devil. It is cut and dry, there are no shades of gray. What does God say in Revelations?
international QUOTE
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

I have not declared these things of myself, all one has to do is look to the scriptures; and know that all is not well in Zion.

Sponsored Links:
13th Apr, 2014 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

Shall Women Day That Marriage Plural

JaGa I hear you loud and clear and I agree with you to a certain extent you know what am I saying? The only thing I think I disagree is that you seem to believe every word coming out of the mouth of a prophet as the word of G-d and I don't think that's the case. They are MEN just like everyone else and they aren't perfect.

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2014 - 1:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall... Studies Doctrine Mormon

international QUOTE (Suzie_Su)

JaGa I hear you loud and clear and I agree with you to a certain extent you know what am I saying? The only thing I think I disagree is that you seem to believe every word coming out of the mouth of a prophet as the word of G-d and I don't think that's the case. They are MEN just like everyone else and they aren't perfect.

They are not just men, Suzie_Su, they are men sent from God to guide His children in these latter-days. Are they perfect?No. Do they make mistakes?Yes.

Take for instance what James said:
international QUOTE
5:17Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.

So though prophets are men of passion, we must always keep in mind they are men of God, sent here to lead and guide His children; and therefore have power with God. If a prophet says he had a revelation, and we know him to be a prophet, then we'd better listen to what he says.

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2014 - 1:33pm / Post ID: #

Page 76 Shall Women Day That Marriage Plural

Name: Jane

Comments: I don't think we will see or hear anything about plural marriage until the next life. We live in a different world now.

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2014 - 1:34pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Shall Women Day That Marriage Plural

Jane, I'm sorry to be so blunt; but I don't think you understand the dispensation of the fullness of times, wherein all things must be restored before Christ returns to claim His kingdom. Of course plural marriage will be practiced again. Even though it will take the fall of this great nation, and all hell to go through, plural marriage will be restored; and those who are faithful will have to enter therein.

You know, those who chose not to follow the gospel always say:"We live in a different world now". As though God is not capable of raising a Zion society in today's world. Has God changed? Is the world now not fit for God and His purposes? Is He not capable of establishing His kingdom here on this different world? Has His arm be shortened? Did He not create heaven and earth?

Mark my words: "Plural Marriage will be instituted again, and those who prove themselves faithful will have to enter therein". Even though it may cause 2/3 of those now active in His Church to fall away, God's will will be done.

Prepare you hearts to receive what may be asked of you. Those who call themselves Latter-day Saints, will have to live as such, meaning they will have to obey all of God's commandments, not just the ones they feel comfortable with. Only by doing this will they receive the Divine protection that will keep them alive in the days to come.

Post Date: 13th Apr, 2014 - 1:39pm / Post ID: #

Name: Saint

Comments:

international QUOTE (Robert9876)

I believe that there is a definite agenda to move us as a church from over here (Typical funny peculiar mormon believes) to over there (Fit in nicely with the rest of the christian churches)....
Out of pure curiousness I'd like to see all of the references for the information / quotes your state here. When I have time I like to try and read up. That'd be great!

In relation to Pres. Hinckleys' comment, he said.. ..

international QUOTE
" I condemn it, yes, as a practice, because I think it is not doctrinal. It is not legal. And this church takes the position that we will abide by the law. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, magistrates in honoring, obeying and sustaining the law. "

In my opinion, this statement makes perfect sense:

Doctrine is a particular principle, position, or policy taught or advocated. We have been commanded by God to not practice polygamy, therefore we do not currently actively teach the polygamy lifestyle or advocate it as doctrine If we are not to practice it, why would we teach it as a current doctrine? The same could be said about animal sacrifice. Although it did exist, and did serve a purpose, we do not teach it as a current doctrine to participate in because the Lord removed that.

Theology is described as the field of study and analysis that treats of God and of God's attributes and relations to the universe; study of divine things or religious truth; divinity. So the theology of polygamy will still exist in the history of the church and in past written doctrine, because it was a definite principle that was once taught and lived. (Same with animal sacrifice. )
Polygamy is not current doctrine/not taught/not lived, hence Pres. Hinckley statement. He was not denying anything, he simple knew exactly what he meant.

Although, at first, I didn't understand his words either I have thought about them, and feel comfortable with his response. I trust in Pres Hinckley's statement, and I personally think we should be cautious in being overly critical.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Apr, 2014 - 1:43pm / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage That Day Women Shall... - Page 76

international QUOTE (Saint)
Polygamy is not current doctrine/not taught/not lived
But [plural marriage] is practiced in the Temples with our dead, hence it is definitely doctrinal.

13th Apr, 2014 - 1:44pm / Post ID: #

Plural Marriage That Day Women Shall... Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 76

international QUOTE (WilforW)

We still practise it when it comes to temple ordinances for the deceased.
That's not really the same as "practicing" polygamy, since those who are sealed to one dead person are not really co-habiting with that person--at least I hope not.

+  « First of 79 pgs.  72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 

> TOPIC: Plural Marriage: In That Day Seven Women Shall...

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,