Special Unit Wards? - Page 2 of 2

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of my daughter - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Oct, 2004 - 5:46pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 5th Nov, 2003 - 11:46pm / Post ID: #

Special Unit Wards?
A Friend

Special Unit Wards? - Page 2

I'm glad you pointed that out. Please let me explain. My statement points to the few staunch supporters of 'special units' who want to continue and expand this for their own status.  I'm not at all refering to the needy.

If a person speaks English in Utah, what would be his/her only other reason for attending a Samoan,  Tongan, or Spanish ward?

Sponsored Links:
5th Nov, 2003 - 11:55pm / Post ID: #

Wards Unit Special

I'm glad you pointed that out. Please let me explain. My statement points to the few staunch supporters of 'special units' who want to continue and expand this for their own status.  I'm not at all refering to the needy.

Oh okay, good that you clarified that.

If a person speaks English in Utah, what would be his/her only other reason for attending a Samoan,  Tongan, or Spanish ward?  

Yes, they should have not reason to attend the other ones...but you will have to agree with me in this one...if a person speaks english but let's say is from Spanish background and they wish to attend the Spanish ward, what is really the reason behind this? do they really want to be with their own people or they have really no choice because they don't feel 'welcome' in the normal wards? I know of both cases...maybe as Home and Visiting Teachers we are not reaching enough to these members to make them feel at 'home'. Personally I lived in the USA for two years, I never attended a Spanish ward but at the same time were very few maybe one or two people who really took a serious interest in me and my family. The rest is like we didn't exist.

Post Date: 8th Sep, 2004 - 12:53am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Special Unit Wards? Studies Doctrine Mormon

CHURCHES EMBRACE HISPANIC NEWCOMERS
See https://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/09/0..._col1vance.html

For Rogelio Flores of Loveland, Ohio, attending the Miami River Branch of
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was an easy choice. A
member of the Church since birth, Flores, who is originally from Mexico,
was looking for a place where he could worship with his wife, Marina,
originally from Argentina, and their three children. She doesn't speak
English well, but that doesn't matter in the Spanish-speaking
congregation of the Miami River Branch in Fairfield.

Post Date: 13th Sep, 2004 - 5:49am / Post ID: #

Special Unit Wards?
A Friend

Page 2 Wards Unit Special

how a lds singles ward differs from a lds family ward in general.

13th Sep, 2004 - 10:10am / Post ID: #

Wards Unit Special

Just like the title suggests, a singles ward is a place where the singles of the Church can attend as a group with other singles. This has several purposes. One, it facilitates meeting other single LDS members. Another benefit is that the social functions and meeting discussions are geared to single members and their unique needs. Traditional wards are very family oriented and aren't as good at meeting the needs of our single members.

The gospel doesn't change because you are single, but your personal focus is often different from married members.

Post Date: 13th Oct, 2004 - 5:46pm / Post ID: #

Special Unit Wards?
A Friend

Special Unit Wards?

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of my daughter told us she is getting baptized in the LDS church. She is about 10 or 11. We were excited and surprized because we didn't know she was taking the lessons or anything. As it turns out, her mother is a member but inactive for years. Her father, who is divorced from her mother is also inactive and opposed to her baptism. But the girl wanted to join so she went through with it. We normally are aware of all convert baptisms in our ward so we were surprised when she told us this. As it turns out, she was taking the lessons and attending church at the local Tongan branch because she is of Tongan descent.

We attended the baptism which was done totally in Tongan. The songs, talks, baptism etc was all Tongan, except for the missionary who gave a talk. He only spoke English. It was a good experience and I can see why the church has special wards like this. It brings people from the same cultural background together where they have more in common, can understand each others challenges better. The church is all about caring for each other and members who can meet together with a bond like a nationality can better meet each others needs.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Special Unit Wards?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,