Excommunicated Mormons - Page 3 of 5

QUOTE (Isiah53 @ 4-Jun 10, 2:41 AM) - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Jun, 2010 - 2:50am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Controversial Mormon Issue
10th Apr, 2010 - 4:23pm / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons - Page 3

I frequently read distorted or exaggerated stories about the Church. There is a pattern about them. When people report about all the men involved in the council coming up with big smiles on their faces, it raises a red flag. It indicates that the person was trying to make it sound as if the members of the church were thrilled to get rid of her.

By the way, I grew up in southern Idaho and California. I now live in Utah. I am VERY well steeped in the culture. I even have a lot of concerns of my own with the Church. But that lady's report of her excommunication attempts to reflect on the people, making them sound very harsh and uncaring. That is completely opposite all of my experiences in the Church.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Apr, 2010 - 9:22am / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons
A Friend

Mormons Excommunicated

I understand you Nighthawk, but most brethren smile to show that they still love those who are excommunicated. Well, we don't know their hearts. Some show how stilll they care in different ways, some smile, some would embrace and shed tears. If I'm to be one of those brethren, I would choose to embrace and show sadness in my face but tell them there's hope. That's my way of caring or fellowshipping.

11th Apr, 2010 - 11:59pm / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons Studies Doctrine Mormon

Honesty is the best policy. I think love should be expressed by actions rather than words. Yes the smile is fine and the hugs but what about after? Are we going to fellowship this sheep by making sure it returns to the fold? That's what love is to me.

Post Date: 12th Apr, 2010 - 12:14pm / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons
A Friend

Page 3 Mormons Excommunicated

That is right Chicasud, love is by continuing fellowship to those who are excommunicated because their state is so heavy and miserable. It is called as a "heavy burden".

Our covenant is to fellowship those who are even excommunicated, as what Alma said,

international QUOTE
"and are willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light; Yea, and are willling to mourn; yea, and comfort those who that stand in need of comfort"
(Mosiah 18:8-9).

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. The Source of your Quote should also be provided. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Post Date: 1st Jun, 2010 - 1:45pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Excommunicated

Name: Doctrine

Comments: I still do not understand the church's policy about excommunicating historians that simply reveal the facts. Historians find out what happened and when they do the church is angry for them finding it.

1st Jun, 2010 - 2:24pm / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons

Doctrine, the problem is that some of the facts they find are considered controversial and when they try to publish those facts, the Church sees it as they're trying to teach it and gets pretty upset about it. It isn't news really. The Church doesn't like us to go too "deep" into research.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Jun, 2010 - 2:41am / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons - Page 3

international QUOTE
Doctrine, the problem is that some of the facts they find are considered controversial and when they try to publish those facts, the Church sees it as they're trying to teach it and gets pretty upset about it. It isn't news really. The Church doesn't like us to go too "deep" into research.

I think that this is slowly changing. I think that the church regrets to some extent the fateful Sept. 6th and are slower to react to such publications. For example grant palmer was not excommunicated for his recent book of the BOM and Joseph Smith. The new book of the meadowland massacre really supports Waneta Brooks research. Even Bushman's rough Stone Rolling basically supports fawn Brody's work (with the exception of her psychological conclusions.) Both of these books are sold at Desseret Book. The Joseph Smith papers project is a step in the right direction as well. I think that the church is coming more open about the history. John Dehlin is still an active member after his mormonstories podcasts. The church has come as close as you can to an apology for the meadowland massacre as they have ever given.

With the advent of the internet I think the brethren are coming to an understanding that this stuff is out there, and excommunicating and denying it is not helping their case. So I am hopeful that things are slowly changing. I think the church is warming up to some extent to its 3 perceived enemies: Homosexuality, feminism, and intellectualism. (Well 2 of the three that is)

4th Jun, 2010 - 2:50am / Post ID: #

Excommunicated Mormons Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

international QUOTE (Isiah53 @ 4-Jun 10, 2:41 AM)
For example grant palmer was not excommunicated for his recent book of the BOM and Joseph Smith.

But he was disfellowshipped back in 2004.

To be honest I don't see the change you're referring to. Many authors have been either disfellowshipped or excommunicated for presenting FACTS that the church seems to be ashamed or tries to hide. It's silly to me because there is no way you can successfully erase history.

Reconcile Edited: Liahona on 4th Jun, 2010 - 2:50am

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Excommunicated Mormons

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,