The Haunted Abbey - Party Thread - Page 2 of 5

OOC: It's poor form to claim to be - Page 2 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 22nd Oct, 2010 - 3:19am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

25th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Draconian
Draconian
Paladin
Paladin
Warlock
Warlock
Barbarian
Barbarian
Fighter
Fighter
Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Wizard
Wizard
Ranger
Ranger

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Closed
20th Oct, 2010 - 3:37am / Post ID: #

The Haunted Abbey - Party Thread - Page 2

After this one falls, we shall move before surrounded by to many more, towards the shriek, it would also be a good place for Psychonaut to investigate.
Will have time for quick introductions and ready for the other coming zombies.

Sponsored Links:
20th Oct, 2010 - 5:54am / Post ID: #

Thread Party Abbey Haunted The

Seeing the two fighters dispatch the zombie, Nima sighs deeply. Such dark creations still frighten her, but now that she knows they can be beaten, she feels confident again. She allows her magic to well up within her as she awaits the creature that she fled from, the zombie coming from the south. She plans to ambush it with her own signature spell, Myrrani's Rapid-Growth Bamboo, as soon as it gets there. She plans on striking from hiding so as not to reveal herself to the men, or the zombies.

OOC: If I'm not mistaken, Zombies have DR 5/Slashing. How is the monk hurting them? Luckily, magic bypasses Damage Resistance, so I'm good, but still...

21st Oct, 2010 - 1:22pm / Post ID: #

The Haunted Abbey - Party Thread Archive Pathfinder / D&D

Your spell says and is described as dealing peircing damage?

Aive draws his dagger in his off hand and attacks twice, using that and his silvered short sword.
attack rolls 17 (19-4+2) 10 (16-8+2) damage 5, 2

During combat Aive calls out to Servax, "You don't look like you have much hp but you are better in combat then me so I will draw the attacks and you move around and attack their flank, monsters and people are easier to hit from behind when they are focusing on someone else"

As soon as there are no more threats Aive will move to the shriek towards the south.

21st Oct, 2010 - 5:40pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Thread Party Abbey Haunted The

OOC: I think you meant for aive to say "You look like you don't have much health." if anything. Characters generally don't talk about things like HP, Base Attack Bonus, or Strength Modifiers. Also, it does piercing damage for the sake of overcoming immunities. Damage Resistance doesn't apply to spells. Spell Resistance DOES, however.

22nd Oct, 2010 - 2:21am / Post ID: #

Thread Party Abbey Haunted The

OOC: You're right Rentok, if being a little pedantic. Also, why would your spell be required to list a damage type if it is not then subject to the appropriate resistance? Your spell is very low level, and is listed as not being subject to spell resistance, so it is impossible to resist then? Additionally, it is a conjuration spell. You are conjuring a shoot of bamboo into existance, which then proceeds to deal physical damage to the target. Ordinarily spells are not subject to damage resistance because they are dealing energy damage, not because spells are a special case. There are a number of other spells listed in the full PH which are subject to damage resistance, all of which are from the conjuration school. Ultimately it is a DM's decision, but I can't see any reason that this spell would bypass a 5/slashing spell resistance. Does it really matter though? Why not just use magic missile?

Reconcile Edited: Inferatus on 22nd Oct, 2010 - 2:22am

22nd Oct, 2010 - 2:54am / Post ID: #

The Haunted Abbey - Party Thread

OOC: Magic missile itself is not subject to damage resistance OR spell resistance itself, and deals force damage, not energy damage. Magic missile allows saves for half damage, this spell's damage is NEGATED by a save. Spells don't overcome damage resistance because they are elemental in nature, an acid flask, which deals acid damage, does not bypass damage resistance unless it's, say, DR X/Acid or DR X/Splash Weapons. Spells are not subject to damage resistance, some are subject to spell resistance, some require attack rolls, and others allow saves. Some spells have more than one method of avoidance, but ALL bypass damage reduction.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Oct, 2010 - 3:04am / Post ID: #

The Haunted Abbey Party Thread - Page 2

OOC: Magic missile is not subject to damage resistance on the basis that it is an evocation spell, not a conjuration spell, and deals force damage. Because it is a raw magical effect tthe creature is subject to, it IS subject to spell resistance, and IS NOT avoided by a save. There are no creatures from the standard 3.5ed Monster Manual that have damage resistance listed as being overcome by acid, as it is covered by an energy resistance, as in the spell "Energy Resistance(Acid)". You should read up on these rules before you go getting all wound up.

At any rate, I'm done arguing this one. I'll let Oliron handle it. He seems like a sensible DM.

22nd Oct, 2010 - 3:19am / Post ID: #

The Haunted Abbey Party Thread D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 2

OOC: It's poor form to claim to be dropping something, and at the same time continue to argue. I'm not going to say anything more on the matter, because I don't particularly care what you think, as you're not the one in charge.

IC: Myrrani steps back into the shadows, waiting to see how the battle turns out.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: The Haunted Abbey - Party Thread

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.