Book of Mormon and Polynesians

Book Mormon Polynesians - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd May, 2008 - 10:49am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Book of Mormon and Polynesians Related Information to Book of Mormon and Polynesians
Post Date: 23rd Oct, 2003 - 11:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I consider myself: I'm Less Active

Could the Polynesians (peoples of the Pacific Ocean region) be descendants of the Hagoth migration mentioned in the Book of Mormon?

Maybe yes, maybe no, but I drafted a short manuscript of an alternative view of the origins of the Polynesians based on the Hagoth story in the Book of Mormon and an ancient Samoan chant called the "Solo ole Va".
https://solo.manuatele.net

Please take a look at it and let me know what you think. Thank you, PF

Sponsored Links:
23rd Oct, 2003 - 11:21pm / Post ID: #

Polynesians Mormon Book

There is a guy called, 'Nephiproject' that is a member here that may be interested in what you have to say. Look for him under 'Members'. I am too, but a bit busy at the moment.

Rather off topic, but...
Why are you less active and please update your profile.

Book of Mormon and Polynesians (Hover)

24th Oct, 2003 - 11:44am / Post ID: #

Book of Mormon and Polynesians Studies Doctrine Mormon

I went to your web site and began reading, but it is too detailed and long for me as a person with a casual interest.  Could you possible summarize in one or two paragraphs what you belief is so we could then discuss from each of our own current positions?

Just a thought.  I do like to discuss, but I do it for fun.  I don't mind a little research and am more likely to do the research after I begin the discussion when I think an interesting point has been made or an intriguing question asked.  Thats just me.  Maybe some other members will actually take the time to do the complete research first, but I would definately appreciate a concise summary, if you are willing.

Post Date: 24th Oct, 2003 - 2:08pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Polynesians Mormon Book

Hello there,

Thanks for visiting my page, and sorry if it's too lengthy, but I just wanted to lay out as much information to form a picture of what might have happened so that viewers can form better opinions. However, because I'm not an archaeologist, or writer for that matter, I'm afraid my writing could possibly hamper my message.

Anyway, what motivated me to write the page was when I saw the text of the "Solo ole Va", which btw translates to "Chant of the Separation". Upon my view of the document, I was immediately comparing it to the Bible's Genesis. Very interesting. Then I look at the Book of Mormon, and on to various other books about Polynesians and that whole area of Ocean.

The prevailing thoughts are that Polynesians are from the Southeast Asia. That was what I learned in school, and it made sense to me. If you see any travel film by travel agents of Polynesia, you'll see that the west-east migration is referenced a lot. That's because the producers of those films were, like myself, educated with that notion.  But when I went over this subject again, I found that the information that we all hold as gospel truths by scientists are quite sparse indeed.  There're many gaps.

Based on the "Solo ole Va" and other materials I've read recently, there's a strong indication that Polynesians migrated westward, from the Americas. I can't prove it, but it's just a very strong hunch.

Is the Book of Mormon true? Before I said yes, but my affirmative rested on my faith of the truthness of the gospel and the Prophet Joseph Smith. In recent years, I'm more convince that the BoM is true because it's a fact of history.  The traditional scholars don't accept this of course, but many of them don't believe the Bible either.

That's basically it. If you want to talk about a particular part of it, let me know.

Sincerely,

PF

26th Oct, 2003 - 9:07pm / Post ID: #

Polynesians Mormon Book

As requested I sent nephiproject an email about this thread, he may have looked at it *shrug*. You can see some of his own similar ideas/facts about areas surrounding related scriptures in the Book of Mormon. Here is one of his threads:
Book Of Mormon Verified

30th Jul, 2007 - 11:20pm / Post ID: #

As a polynesian saint, this question is one of deep significance to me.

Here is a list of resources to study that confirm prophetically that many of the polynesian peoples, including the Maori, the native Hawaiians, the Tongans and Samoans are direct descendents of Lehi:

Temple Dedicatory Prayers and Prophets who dedicated them:
1. Hamilton New Zealand Temple - By President David O McKay, 20-22 April 1958

We express gratitude that to these fertile Islands Thou didst guide descendants of Father Lehi, and hast enabled them to prosper, to develop and to become associated in history with leading and influential nations among mankind.

2. Laie Hawaii Temple - By President Heber J Grant, 27-30 November 1919
We thank Thee, that thousands and tens of thousands of the descendants of Lehi, in this favored land, have come to a knowledge of the gospel, many of whom have endured faithfully to the end of their lives.

3. Nuku'alofa Tonga Temple - Elder Gordon B Hinckley, 9-11 August 1983
We thank Thee for the coming forth of the Book of Mormon with its record of the forebears of the people of Tonga.

4. Apia Samoa Temple - Rededicatory Prayer by President Gordon B Hinckley, 4 September 2005.
In these islands of Samoa, Thou hast remembered Thine ancient promise "unto them who are upon the isles of the sea" (2 Nephi 10:21).

Additional comments by General Authorities add support to the truth.
Mark E. Petersen
""¦the Polynesian Saints are characterized by a tremendous faith. Why do they have this great faith? It is because these people are of the blood of Israel. They are heirs to the promises of the Book of Mormon. God is now awakening them to their great destiny." (Conference Report, Apr. 1962, p. 112)

Robert L. Simpson - "I would like, in making reference to these wonderful people from New Zealand-especially the Maori folks here today-to turn to Alma 63:5-8, and read a very significant quotation. It talks about a man called Hagoth, a man who set sail from these Americas many centuries ago. (quotes Alma 63:5-8).

"I would like to tell you young people that in a great gathering of Polynesians held right in Salt Lake City just prior to 1915, a prophet of the Lord, President Joseph F. Smith, addressing a group of Polynesians who had come to Salt Lake City to participate in their temple endowment work, made the statement that without a doubt this man Hagoth and his company were the progenitors of the Polynesian races, and that this migration was the beginning of the Polynesian population in the South Pacific.

"Now up until very recently men of science have said, no, the Polynesians have come from the Malay States, they have come from the African, from the Asian side, and they have migrated from a westerly direction to the Polynesian islands-not from the Americas. This has been popular thinking until about 1940, when a very bold scholar by the name of Thor Heyerdahl made the observation that indeed these people must be from the Americas. He set out to prove this by building some balsa rafts on which he set himself adrift off the shores of South and Central America. He and his companions drifted for about one hundred days, and depending only on the prevailing tides and winds of that area, they found themselves cast upon the shores of these South Pacific islands, not far from Tahiti. It seems rather significant that all of a sudden scientific opinion began to change and Thor Heyerdahl, since that day, has presented additional evidences that have further made it a very important consideration-that the Polynesians did originate from the Americas.

"Now the Maoris themselves have something to say about this theory. They all have the same answer to the questions, "Where did your people come from? Where did you originate?' The answer is always the same:

"I haere mai matou I tawhiti nui, I tawhiti roe, I tawhiti pamamau I te hono I te wai e rua." ("We came from a great distance, from a still greater distance, from a very, very great distance, from the joining place of two great waters.")

"Perhaps by the narrow neck of land that separated the two great seas, the narrow neck of land which led into the land northward. This is Maori tradition and I want to tell you that those who have joined the Church believe without reservation, that these things I have told you are part and parcel of Mormon doctrine. (BYU Speeches of the Year, April 4, 1962, p. 6.)

From the Book of Mormon Institute manual on Alma 63:4-10 we have:

Speaking of Hagoth and his party, President Spencer W. Kimball said: "President Joseph F. Smith, the president of the Church reported, "You brethren and sisters from New Zealand, I want you to know that you are from the people of Hagoth." For New Zealand Saints, that was that. A prophet of the Lord had spoken" (in New Zealand Area Conference Report, 20-22 Feb. 1976, p. 3).

So to sum up, we have five Presidents of the Church: Joseph F Smith, Heber J Grant, David O McKay, Spencer W Kimball and President Gordon B Hinckley each affirm that Polynesians are descendents of Lehi and Book of Mormon peoples. We also have supporting statements of a couple of Apostles.

Prophets acting as prophets - speaking prophetically, under authority, performing official church business.

Another great resource is "Lehi, Father of Polynesia Bruce S. Sutton Hawaiki Publishing, Orem, Utah, 2001;"

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 3rd May, 2008 - 10:49am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Book Mormon Polynesians

QUOTE (imanua @ 23-Oct 03, 6:11 PM)

Could the Polynesians (peoples of the Pacific Ocean region) be descendants of the Hagoth migration mentioned in the Book of Mormon?

Maybe yes, maybe no, but I drafted a short manuscript of an alternative view of the origins of the Polynesians based on the Hagoth story in the Book of Mormon and an ancient Samoan chant called the "Solo ole Va".
https://solo.manuatele.net

Please take a look at it and let me know what you think. Thank you, PF

I read in the seminary mannual for the book of mormon that a prophet(can't remember his name) said that they were most likey desended from him and that polynesians are his seed.

> TOPIC: Book of Mormon and Polynesians

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,