Moroni Threat

Moroni Threat - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Apr, 2004 - 6:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Moroni Threat Related Information to Moroni Threat
26th Apr, 2004 - 6:42pm / Post ID: #

Moroni Threat

Alma 60:1

AND it came to pass that he wrote again to the governor of the land, who was Pahoran, and these are the words which he wrote, saying: Behold, I direct mine epistle to Pahoran, in the city of Zarahemla, who is the chief judge and the governor over the land, and also to all those who have been chosen by this people to govern and manage the affairs of this war.

Discussion: The content of the history of the Western Hemisphere during the Book of Mormon period was abridged, or in simple terms - meaning it was reduced from a larger amount of books to a much smaller one. With this in mind we need to understand why certain things were added in order to know what Mormon/Moroni wanted for us to 'see' in it. This brings me to Alma 60 where Captain Moroni accuses Pahoran of not caring about the war their soldiers were fighting.

What are we to gain out of this if we know it was not true? Is it to show the patriotism that Captain Moroni had within his bones? Maybe the faithfulness of Pahoran? You may say it was just to build up to the reason why Captain Mormoni ended up putting to death all those who chose not to defend the country, but for me it is not so, because that could have been done in a few verses.

What is your view?

Moroni Threat
Moroni Threat (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
26th Apr, 2004 - 7:31pm / Post ID: #

Threat Moroni

That's a great question. In fact, realising that the Book of Mormon is indeed an abridgement really brings it home how important those inclusions are. We could broaden the question and ask why so much of the Book of Mormon dwells upon that period when the government was one of self-government? Why so great the theme of war and freedom? And secret combinations of course.

My own feeling is that the Book of Mormon is packed full of teachings that touch upon freedom, government, warfare, economy, politics, education, and no doubt much more. It's controversial stuff when you start translating it into its modern meaning - President Benson said:

I find certain elements in the Church do not like to read the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants so much-they have too much to say about freedom."
(The Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p. 81; see also p. 42.)

I think one thing that the passage you allude to shows is that government - despite the false tradition of many LDS - is not always right, and that patriotism is about country before it is about government.

As LDS we are, quite rightly, respectful of laws and governments and our civic leaders. But we should not be blind or cease to stand up for what is right. Quite how this is done may be a matter of some considerable thought, but we should not I feel resign ourselves to think all is well in zion. It is not, as never before it is not.

Dubhdara.

27th Apr, 2004 - 11:34am / Post ID: #

Moroni Threat Studies Doctrine Mormon

I agree with dubhdara (couldn't you find a little easier nickname to write?) about the issues of liberty and warfare.

I would add that this particular case concerning Captain Moroni, speaks to me about how important it is that once the country is involved in war, how important it is for the citizens to support the actions and get the war finished. The warriors are already sacrificing their time, talents, and lives for their country, they shouldn't also have to starve and freeze because the country is weak-willed about the war.

(Just had to bring it back to the current situation in the US. wink.gif )

Post Date: 27th Apr, 2004 - 6:54pm / Post ID: #

Moroni Threat
A Friend

Threat Moroni

I recently either read or heard an explanation as to why the contents of the Book of Mormon dwell so much on war. It may have even been a post from this web site, I'm not sure. Anyway, the question was, why did Mormon include so much of the war history of his people, keeping in mind he was thinking of our day and the challenges we were going to face when selecting what to include in the Book Of Mormon.

It is not so much that the last days would see an increase of warfare in the world, although this is part of it. The main reason is of the struggle in each of our lives between good and evil. Satan has launched a full onslought against righteousness. Everything that is true, uplifting and good is being attacked, kind of a spiritual war so to speak. Mormon included all the war history, hoping we would see the connection in our lives and learn how to combat the evil one. I need to go back and read the book again with a little different perspective next time.

> TOPIC: Moroni Threat

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,