It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea? - Page 3 of 8

I find this interesting. At this web site: - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Dec, 2003 - 7:14am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (8) »
Early Mormon settlers used ephedra
29th Sep, 2003 - 5:14pm / Post ID: #

It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea? - Page 3

People forget that there is something called 'The spirit of the Word of Wisdom' those harmful foods that are not specifically written in the Word of Wisdom but we know are harmful for our bodies and to be honest if we have to make a 'test' on how many LDS members live the Word of Wisdom, compared to those who think they live the Word of Wisdom, we may be surprised of the results.

Good point LDS. I have thought of that many times. I am guilty of this myself at times. It is easy for me to stay away from coffee & tea but I probably eat too much meat and candy. Anyway back to the topic at hand .... tea.

As has already been quoted more than once our leaders have told us that "hot drinks" as quoted in the Word of Wisdom means coffee and tea. The reason herb tea is o.k is it is not tea at all. This is why we need to be careful when buying herb tea. We need to read the ingredients on the label to be sure we are buying herb tea, which contains no tea at all. If we are not careful, we could end up buying flavored tea instead. If tea is listed as an ingredient it is forbidden.

I have had members wonder if green tea is allowed since green tea has lately become a fashionable "health drink." My position is tea is tea green or black it still comes from a tea leaf.

What do others think about green tea? Is it from the same tea leaf as black tea and just not as ripe, what is the relationship?

Sponsored Links:
29th Sep, 2003 - 8:30pm / Post ID: #

Tea Drink Mormons OK It

I have not studied 'green' tea, usually my brews are based on real herbs from the ground, not a nice 'little box'. If you find information on it then please post it here, I have not the time to research.

30th Sep, 2003 - 1:34pm / Post ID: #

It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea? Studies Doctrine Mormon

If you find information on it then please post it here, I have not the time to research.

I did a search on google regarding green tea. One web site I went to that sells many varieties had a FAQ section. I have copied what I think is relevant into this post below:

"Green tea contains L-theanine which counters many of the effects of caffeine. 

L-theanine is a healthy amino acid that is only found in tea plants and certain mushrooms."

Found on the following web site that sells Green Tea:
www.japanesegreenteaonline.com/faq2.htm (not trying to promote this site, just trying to give proper credit for the information)

If you put two and two together it would seem that green tea comes from tea plant. The web site says it contains L-theanine and then follows by saying that this substance is only found in the tea plant and some mushrooms.

From this research it would seem to me that green tea comes from tea leaves and is not just using the term tea like herb teas do. Therefore, in this case it would appear that green tea would be prohibited by the Word of Wisdom.

So, I answered my question regarding green tea and just thought I would share it with everyone else in case any of you were wondering.

I have not studied 'green' tea, usually my brews are based on real herbs from the ground, not a nice 'little box'.

My brews are based on real herbs too, they just get put in 'little boxes' first. I believe (at least I hope) they came from the ground at one point.

30th Sep, 2003 - 2:03pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Tea Drink Mormons OK It

[quote] Found on the following web site that sells Green Tea:
www.japanesegreenteaonline.com/faq2.htm (not trying to promote this site, just trying to give proper credit for the information)[/quote]
That is fine and actually required for coipyright reasons, so you are okay. Thanks for your research.

[quote] My brews are based on real herbs too, they just get put in 'little boxes' first.   I believe (at least I hope) they came from the ground at one point. LOL [/quote]
:laugh: I am sure they do, what I meant by that is the herbs I get are not commercial brands where they crush it, put it in a bag and then you really do not know what you are boiling save for the ingredients list. I mix an match my own brews based on need.

1st Oct, 2003 - 12:22am / Post ID: #

Tea Drink Mormons OK It

Tena, thanks for the information about green tea smile.gif
Now, may I share a little experience about my country, Argentina?. In Argentina as same as Uruguay we drink something call 'Yerba Mate' is a herb  that grows in Argentina and is a very popular drink (you all can make a search about it in google for details) anyhow, we use the same herb as a tea too and in most activities in the Church in winter time like camps and stuff like that we always drink it. I have even seen General Authorities drinking it and this is herb tea. If one day the Church decides that herb tea are not appropiate, 99% of Uruguay and Argentina members go less active lol lol lol

Post Date: 6th Dec, 2003 - 10:10am / Post ID: #

It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea?
A Friend

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 29-Sep 03, 4:23 PM)
Our Word of Wisdom specifically not mention the poisonous effects of overeating, mis-use of meats, obesity, soft drinks (not only coke!), and 'medicating' ourselves ...

But the Word of Wisdom does caution us about eating meat, and to use prudence:

10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man-

11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.

12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;

13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;

15 And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.

16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground-

17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain. (highlight added)

Offtopic but,
Msslmshdy- in the US the substitute drink is called PERO, it is made in Switzerland, and is Malted Barley, Barley,Chicory, Rye. I even like it cold. As for herbal infusions, I find that they taste better when they are cold.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th Dec, 2003 - 12:03pm / Post ID: #

It OK Mormons Drink Tea - Page 3

Message Edited!
Persephone: Removed double posting.

Patience is virtue AGene and by being impatient you give us undesired work. I will advise the Architect to bring back redirection so that we will avoid these situations.

Post Date: 19th Dec, 2003 - 7:14am / Post ID: #

A Friend

It OK Mormons Drink Tea Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

I find this interesting. At this web site:
https://www.museums.org.za/bio/plants/theac...ia_sinensis.htm

It states quite a number of beneficial things of drinking tea.
Digestive complaints. Tea is an old home remedy for unsettled digestive systems
Infections. Tea has been used as an age-old home remedy for burns, wounds and swelling. A poultice of green tea eases itching and inflammation of insect bites, while a compress stems bleeding.
Guards against tooth decay. A study using natural toothpaste (containing green tea bioflavonoid/zinc ascorbate) was conducted to determine the effect on bacterial plaque accumulation.
Skin disorders. Using different animal models, many laboratories have shown that green tea extract, taken orally or applied to the skin, inhibits skin tumour formation induced by chemical carcinogens or ultra-violet radiation(UVB).

many cosmetic and pharmaceutical companies are supplementing their skin care products with green tea extracts10
Immune booster. This is due to the free radical capturing (antioxidant), invigorating (caffeine),detoxifying antibacterial properties of tea, as well as the vitamins and minerals present therein.
Combats various forms of cancer. Green tea has a reputed role in cancer prevention as tea catechins have been shown to inhibit tumour cell proliferation as well as promote the destruction of leukaemia cells 17.
Decreases risk of cardiovascular disease.

Then it lists the bad stuff tea does:
Possible health risks
Although all tea varieties possess far less caffeine than both coffee and coke cola (with green having the least), it can induce insomnia and nervousness in sensitive and over-indulgent individuals.
It should also be noted that the antioxidant action of (phenolic-rich) tea extracts has been shown to reduce the ability of humans to utilise dietary iron. Thus excessive intake of tea should be avoided by people who are prone to anaemia14.

There is no way this is going to get me to drink Green/Black/Oolong teas. But I have been having quite the battle with my friend and neighbor over tea. I mistakenly said that one of the reasons tea is bad is because in its processing it is fermented. Now he is taking that to be LDS Doctrine, when in fact it was My Error, and he refuses to acknowledge that I errored and have admitted to it.

I drink herbal 'teas', infusion, what-ever. I grow my own mints to drink. I use boiling water to steep the leaves, then I add cold water to cool them down.

He is forever challenging me over teas verses herbal infusions. Tonight I got so mad at him that I actually screamed at him over the phone and told him that this topic will never be brought up again, that I will never defy God or his Prophets and that I didn't care what he said. Then he said, The Missionaries say that ANY drink is ok as long as it is cold.

I told him that # 1 The Missionaries sole purpose on Earth while they are Missionaries are to introduce the Gospel to People. They are not Theologians, and they should not be debating this type of stuff when they are prostelizing. And # 2, any Missionary that told his Mission Leader that he had done what you have said probably got reprimanded and won't do it again. And in regard to any drink is ok if it is cold is a crock. I want to know which Missionary said it so I can ask him what he said exactly, because I doubt if he actually said that.

I am at my wits end with him. He doesn't hassel me in regards to not smoking, or drinking alcohol, but he is constantly at me about this TEA business. Yes I know he has his free agency just like I do. But, darn it, other than never talking to him again, I just don't know what to do. I feel like I am fighting the advesary all the time with him.

I am sorry this is so long, and it is probably way off-off topic. But I just didn't know where else to turn. He has me in tears, and I want to just bonk him in the head! boxing.gif

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (8) »

> TOPIC: It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,