It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea? - Page 2 of 8

QUOTE Is this not the same thing we are trying - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 29th Sep, 2003 - 4:23pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (8) »
Early Mormon settlers used ephedra
28th Sep, 2003 - 2:19pm / Post ID: #

It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea? - Page 2

Nighthawk, the herbs soaked in vodka -- afterward are called tinctures and are very powerful medicines.

THANK YOU! I knew that, I just couldn't come up with the right words.

wink.gif

NightHawk

Sponsored Links:
28th Sep, 2003 - 4:40pm / Post ID: #

Tea Drink Mormons OK It

Reading some of the recent posts I cannot avoid to say something my husband always say that may have some conection with this thread. I'm a vegetarian and as  lover of meat I used to be, I always look forward eating veggie burgers or meat substitutes and my husband always says why somebody tries to get rid of something that is not good (meat) but at the same they're trying everything possible to eat something that tastes or make them think taste like the real thing. *laughs*
If we don't drink coffee or tea because are not good for our bodies why do we have to use substitues like dicaff coffee or things like that? *laughs* does it make sense?.

28th Sep, 2003 - 6:22pm / Post ID: #

It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Nighthawk said:

THANK YOU!  I knew that, I just couldn't come up with the right words.

I knew you knew that smile.gif I have my senior moments, too

And LDS_F said:
If we don't drink coffee or tea because are not good for our bodies why do we have to use substitutes like decaf coffee or things like that? *laughs* does it make sense?.

Funny isn't it? We are such creatures of habit, and dislike change. I truly had to change my life to "give up" those nasty habits, why would I want my life to remain status quo by finding a replacement? I don't like to think of it as "giving up" but "quitting" the bad habit, I.e. forsaking the sin and truly repenting... On the other hand, giving up implies "sacrifice." Hmmm.

IMO
Roz

Post Date: 29th Sep, 2003 - 1:35am / Post ID: #

It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea?
A Friend

Page 2 Tea Drink Mormons OK It

As I am reading this topic and the replies one thought comes to mind; "Is this how we do with the Ten Commandments and all the Lord's Commandments; pick them apart and try to decipher what is acceptable or not?"

When God says, "Thou shall not commit adultry", does that only mean the actual physical act of sleeping with another person when you are married to another?  As we have heard many times over the pulpit it means thoughts of, any kind of action that makes one unfaithful, reading or viewing inapproriate materials, lusting in one's mind for another, etc.

So many of us, and I am including me in the "us", get ourselves into trouble because we try to interpret the commandments to fit our own earthly/worldy desires.

Is this not the same thing we are trying to do with the Words of Wisdom? It states clearly:

89: 9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.

I see no words that say, "but, herb tea is ok". I have not heard of any latter day revelation that states such.

From President Ezra Taft Benson in a Conference talk, "A Principle with a Promise" (Ensign, May 1983, 53) he states:

"At first the revelation was not given as a commandment. It was given as "a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints." (D&C 89:3.) This allowed time for the Saints to adjust to the principles contained in the revelation.

While I was on my first mission in Great Britain in 1922, some of the sisters had difficulty giving up their tea. I read that passage to them, and most of them quit drinking tea because they did not want to be considered the "weakest" of those who are or can be called Saints."

He goes on to say, "The revelation defines and admonishes abstinence from harmful substances and beverages in these words:

"Strong drinks [or, in other words, alcoholic or harmful beverages] are not for the belly." (D&C 89:7.)

"Tobacco is not for the body "¦ and is not good for man." (D&C 89:8.)

"Hot drinks [defined as tea and coffee] are not for the body." (D&C 89:9.)"

Again, he does not say, "But, you can use herbal tea. That's ok"

We need to worry more about what we should be doing than what maybe we can slide by with as being "acceptable".

When I tell my children I want them in by 12:00, that does not mean 12:05. That is my rule and my counsel comes from the prophets where it has been stated many times that our youth need to be in by midnight.

Show an investigator where it is stated that herb tea is ok.  We need to become stronger Latter-day Saints and less apt to follow the world. We need to stand by our convictions unwavering.

My sister is RLDS and incorrect interpretation has led to many principles in her church that have been adjusted to what they "probably" mean, instead of what they do mean, as we have learned from the Lord's mouthpiece, the living Prophet who has been called to do such in these, the latter days.

My father is taking the discussions and wants to join the church as soon as he is ready. He had given up coffee, tobacco and alcohol prior to this time. He said the other day, "They (meaning LDS) drink ice tea, don't they?" I said, "No Dad. We don't drink tea either." "No problem he says; I don't need it."

In closing his remarks President Benson states, "Living the commandments of God is a condition of worthiness for entrance into the House of the Lord. There wisdom and "great treasures of knowledge" are given that relate to our happiness in this life and joy throughout eternity."

I would strongly encourage all to read his entire talk and follow his counsel.

Paula

29th Sep, 2003 - 1:58am / Post ID: #

Tea Drink Mormons OK It

As I am reading this topic and the replies one thought comes to mind; "Is this how we do with the Ten Commandments and all the Lord's Commandments; pick them apart and try to decipher what is acceptable or not?"

Hold your horses there Paula, 'hot drinks' refers to tea such as Lipton that contain tanin and other harmful substances and Coffee such as Nestle and those... etc of the bean.

Herbs are ordained for the use of man and can help in curing or preventing illness. In the Book of Mormon you can read Alma 46:40 where it says this.

There is nothing wrong with having healthy drinks. This is a side note but relevant to this aspect you have brought up... I agree that members should stop trying to find 'cures' of old habits. It is in fact a mental thing rather than a physical need. However, I am always amazed how members focus on the don'ts but not the do's, for instance they may say, we don't drink coffee, but we do eat a lot of potato chips and are 30% overweight and running the risk of a heart attack. Get my drift.

Post Date: 29th Sep, 2003 - 2:21am / Post ID: #

A Friend

"Herbs are ordained for the use of man and can help in curing or preventing illness. In the Book of Mormon you can read Alma 46:40 where it says this."

Alma 46:40 And there were some who died with fevers, which at some seasons of the year were very frequent in the land-but not so much so with fevers, because of the excellent qualities of the many plants and roots which God had prepared to remove the cause of diseases, to which men were subject by the nature of the climate-

True it does say that, but it still does not say that it's ok to drink herb tea as a "recreational" drink (for lack of a better word).

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Sep, 2003 - 2:38am / Post ID: #

It OK Mormons Drink Tea - Page 2

True it does say that, but it still does not say that it's ok to drink herb tea as a "recreational" drink (for lack of a better word).

I understand where you are trying to go with this, but that is because you see it from a school of thought that limits the usefulness of herbs as a 'food'. Food in itself is a drug, when we eat and drink we of essence 'feed' our body with what it needs to either prevent illness or recover from it. Herbs (the good healthy ones) are given as a 'food' if you like, to do both; heal and prevent. To gain the properties or 'vital food' from a plant it would be necessary to crush and eat (not always realistic) or the easier way heat and draw.

Now I will re-emphasize the meaning of 'hot drinks' based on Joseph Smith himself:

"I understand that some of the people are excusing themselves in using tea and coffee, because the Lord only said 'hot drinks' in the revelation of the Word of Wisdom. Tea and coffee are what the Lord meant when he said 'hot drinks.'" (John A. Widstoe, The Word of Wisdom, pp. 75-92.)

Now you must be careful, because in the same light of saying that we are 'pick them apart and try to decipher what is acceptable or not' you are in effect doing the same by imposing that it should include something that is not official. This is another topic, but remember, if you drink a coke, you can still enter the Temple, if you drank herb peppermint tea you can still enter the temple, but if you drank coffee, then.... see the difference? We ought not to decide what others feel is the 'other level'. For instance, so many members eat A LOT of meat, but I never hear them talking about it. They always jump on coffe and tea, because they feel good in the don't part. However, you can eat a lot of meat and still go to the temple wink.gif See where I am coming from?

29th Sep, 2003 - 4:23pm / Post ID: #

It OK Mormons Drink Tea Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Is this not the same thing we are trying to do with the Words of Wisdom? It states clearly:

89: 9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.

I see no words that say, "but, herb tea is ok". I have not heard of any latter day revelation that states such.

Later on your post you specifically quote Pres. Benson talking about hot drinks as tea and coffee. I think you need to be very careful in those statements since it can be confusing for those new members that visit the board.

Again, he does not say, "But, you can use herbal tea. That's ok"

I think our leaders want to believe we have something called *common sense* Our Word of Wisdom specifically not mention the poisonous effects of overeating, mis-use of meats, obesity, soft drinks (not only coke!), and 'medicating' ourselves with 'food'...sometimes I am surprised when something so simple as a herb tea can be a big deal but eating a roast pork with mashed potatoes and gravy then a double layered chocolate cake for desert is not 'wrong' because it's not written in the Word of Wisdom. People forget that there is something called 'The spirit of the Word of Wisdom' those harmful foods that are not specifically written in the Word of Wisdom but we know are harmful for our bodies and to be honest if we have to make a 'test' on how many LDS members live the Word of Wisdom, compared to those who think they live the Word of Wisdom, we may be surprised of the results. We cannot get away with certain foods we eat and the way we allow to be overweight and have so many diseases because of our poor nutrition and expect to be rewarded because we don't drink herb tea...it's almost comical.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (8) »

> TOPIC: It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,