How Strictly to Obey the Sabbath? - Page 3 of 4

QUOTE How about that you're a sinner?I'm - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st Aug, 2009 - 10:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
10th May, 2005 - 6:59am / Post ID: #

How Strictly to Obey the Sabbath? - Page 3

Our lesson was also about observing the Sabbath, and the ways that we can do that. The teacher even went so far as to say that we prepare for the Sabbath all week long -- that the end of the week is Saturday, and the beginning of the week is Sunday. It made me realize that our modern calendars show this, and made me think more seriously about the rest of the week. Do we prepare all week long to get to Sunday? Or is Sunday the day that charges us up for the rest of the week? Interesting perspective, one that was new to me, and I'll be pondering this one for a bit.

Sponsored Links:
10th May, 2005 - 10:07am / Post ID: #

Sabbath Obey Strictly How

A higher percentage of Tonga's citicens are members of the LDS church than any other nation in the world, including the U.S. I don't think it just happened. I thing the Lord has blessed this nation for their obedience.

I would have to agree with you here. The Lord blesses those who obey him. Tonga must reap those rewards.

Do we prepare all week long to get to Sunday? Or is Sunday the day that charges us up for the rest of the week?

I think it is a bit of both. We must prepare all week in order to have the freedom to rest and worship on Sunday. At the same time, by worshipping and resting on Sunday, we get recharged for the coming week.

My lesson was on the Sabbath the week before last and then I had a FHE with a group I meet with once per week. The lesson was on the Sabbath there as well. We discussed true Sabbath worship and the difference between that and taking a legalistic view like the Pharisees did.

10th May, 2005 - 10:37am / Post ID: #

How Strictly to Obey the Sabbath? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Please forgive me as I cannot recall the leaders who had these experiences but I base my answer on the scripture that talks about performing or observing everything with 'exactness' and I think of talks mentioned in the ensign that surrounds one of our prophets who used to travel a certain distance to shop and was asked one day why he travelled so far and he said he did not want service from people who did business on the sabbath..another talk was based on a young boy who was taught the importance of keeping the sabbath when he had asked to borrow the car for a date and his dad reminded him to put gas in the car before coming home but he hadn't and when his dad was to leave for his meeting he opened the car dor found that the car was empty and instead of purchasing gas he walked to his meeting which was a great distance. This was a learning experience for this leader's son.

Living the gospel blesses our lives not living it prevents the fullness of blessings intended for us and our loved ones

1st Jan, 2009 - 4:58pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Sabbath Obey Strictly How

You can always tell who a man worships as his God by what he does on the Sabbath. You can try to complicate it, but it's as simple as that.

2nd Jan, 2009 - 4:58pm / Post ID: #

Sabbath Obey Strictly How

One of my sister's babies was blessed several years ago. It was far enough that with a full tank of gas, we had to refill. The Church encourages members to visit the sick, prisoners, and family. If they live far enough away that you have to refill, what do you do? Most gas stations are self serve so the gas station can be "closed" and yet you can still get gas.
There are other questions to ask too. Is microwaving food considered cooking, is it okay to microwave? I can go on and on. My point is that people can rationalize anything, but I do feel that technology is here to help us, so we don't have to work on Sunday, or any other day of the week, laugh.gif.

Post Date: 20th Aug, 2009 - 2:48am / Post ID: #

How Strictly to Obey the Sabbath?
A Friend

It seems the consensus of this forum that the Sabbath practices of Orthodox Jews are not to be followed. I am familiar with the response of our Lord to those that accused the apostles of gleaning on the Sabbath (interesting that he hadn't, isn't it?), and this is an important principle.

When I read that 'the Sabbath is for man, not man for the Sabbath', however, I read that the purpose of the Sabbath is to bless people, not that there should be fewer requirements. The law of Chastity is also a commandment to bless people. However, as many teenagers will tell you, there are some very specific don't's, that go as far as what to wear and who to be friends with. Very restrictive. So why is the Law of the Sabbath not as restrictive?

The example earlier in this thread of turning on electricity is a good one. It seems that everyone agrees that this is fine. But why? Why is it ok for the power company to employ engineers to watch the plant, make sure that nothing blows up, etc., on Sunday?

And don't say that it is because hospitals and traffic lights need power. We are easily at a technological level that such things could run for a day on reserves from storage cells. Maybe it would cost more, a whole lot more, but money is not a good enough reason to employ someone on the Sabbath. Or is it?

Or is it because they are already working because of all the other people who wouldn't shut down on Sunday? So does that mean that it is ok for me to go to the movies, because they are open anyway? Or maybe I am missing something here.

Now, my son sleeps with the lights on, I really enjoy warm showers Sunday morning, and an electronic alarm wakes me up Sunday morning. After church, I listen to an internet radio station and do genealogy research on my computer. But I often do wonder about the guys down at the electric company.... And I just haven't come up with a good answer.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Aug, 2009 - 5:41pm / Post ID: #

How Strictly Obey Sabbath - Page 3

And I just haven't come up with a good answer.

How about that you're a sinner? Anyone worrying over that should read about pulling their donkey out of the pit on the Sabbath. There is so much more to worry about these days. Its as simple as that.

Post Date: 21st Aug, 2009 - 10:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

How Strictly Obey Sabbath Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

How about that you're a sinner?
I'm sorry, I'm sure I didn't understand what you meant. Would you mind clarifying?

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: How Strictly to Obey the Sabbath?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,