Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?

Mormons Shaven Bearded - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 29th Dec, 2004 - 4:53pm

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »
Add Reply Q
Mormon Hair Temple workers are required to have no facial hair and most likely the same is true for the General Authorities. Missionaries carry the same rule, but you do see the occasional Bishop or Stake President with a mustache or beard. What do you think? Should it be a rule in the Church?
Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? Related Information to Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?
Post Date: 11th Jan, 2003 - 3:34am / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect
[?] CPosts: 37,306
Avg: 7.9 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 100%
[+] Gain: 5,428.90 FP
Charm: 344

Shaven or Bearded?

Temple workers are required to have no facial hair and most likely the same is true for the General Authorities. Missionaries carry the same rule, but you do see the occasional Bishop or Stake President with a mustache or beard. What do you think? Should it be a rule in the Church?

Inspirational Videos About Life
You can also: Subscribe to My Channel
Post Date: 15th Jan, 2003 - 9:04pm / Post ID: #

Nephiproject
A Friend

Bearded Shaven Mormons

Absolutely not! It shouldn't matter one way or the other so long as any beard or moustache is neatly trimmed. Where in scripture and who in any 1st presidency has ever stated that?

Post Date: 15th Jan, 2003 - 10:05pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Where in scripture and who in any 1st presidency has ever stated that?

Stated what? You mean the facial hair?

Post Date: 16th Jan, 2003 - 12:33am / Post ID: #

Nephiproject
A Friend

Bearded Shaven Mormons

Temple workers are required to have no facial hair and most likely the same is through for the General Authorities. Missionaries carry the same rule,

Post Date: 16th Jan, 2003 - 12:51am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Bearded Shaven Mormons

I don't know that there is an official rule on this, but everywhere in the church it is generally accepted as the normal way to look. It hopefully should not make a difference in the spiritual worthiness of a priesthood holder.

Post Date: 16th Jan, 2003 - 1:09am / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

Temple workers are required to have no facial hair and most likely the same is through for the General Authorities. Missionaries carry the same rule,

Actually if you look at my first post I never said that the First Presidency or the scriptures said that. I am actually asking the question 'if' it should be a rule. I will give you what knowledge I have on this subject:

1. I have been a member since I was eight and never have I heard it was a rule to not have a beard or mustache, but I was always encouraged strongly to not have one.

2. It is definitely a rule on the mission. The package you are sent in the mail calling you to serve and where you will be going defines clearly no facial hair (you can say that is from the First Presidency). It also goes as far as stating dark colored suits, etc. Only one time I have seen a missionary with facial hair. The reason for it was because he got 'permission' from his Mission President as he suffered a bad skin condition due to shaving. By the way, there is a paper, or booklet you get concerning your after mission experience. It counsels you to maintain the same appearence (clean cut) after your mission. (Although I hear a lot rebel and grow their facial and other hair wild *shaking head*)

3. Most leaders instruct us to follow the example of the Brethren. The example they have shown is no facial hair, Some members believe that this more a 'trend' set by David O. Mc Kay rather than an actual rule.

4. Here some stuff I got:

Temple Workers Must be Clean-Shaven Says News Policy

SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH -- A recent change in the policy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints requires that workers in its Temples be clean-shaven -- no beards or mustaches, according to a report in the Salt Lake Tribune this past weekend. According to the report,the policy change, announced six or eight weeks ago, is more restrictive that that required of BYU students and faculty and instructors in the Church's seminaries and institutes. It is similar to the requirements for full-time missionaries of the LDS Church.

Contacted by reporter Peggy Fletcher Stack, Church spokesmen refused to say why the policy was changed, discuss what being clean-shaven has to do with the requirements for Temple service, or even when the policy was issued. Information about the policy change came from Church members familiar with the policy.

Recently released Logan Temple President Jack Kidd speculates that the policy may have come because of "young folks [who] justify their bizarre kinds of [facial hair] by looking at some of the elderly people who have beards." But Kidd also said he was surprised at the policy when it was announced, "I was a little surprised when it came out. The only ones with beards in Logan are elderly and they are good, faithful men."

The new policy came as a shock to many Temple workers, including older men who had worn facial hair all their lives, and a few have even asked to be released as a result.

The Tribune article also reviews the history of facial hair among LDS Church leaders and various church-related policies on facial hair. Except for Joseph Smith, every LDS prophet until David O. McKay became prophet in 1951 had a beard. Since then, General Authorities have generally not had facial hair, and in 1969, Church-owned Brigham Young University, set grooming standards that prohibited beards and shortened hair off men's collars and ears.

Source:
LDS Church Tells Temple Workers: Get a Shave or Get Out
Salt Lake Tribune 5May01 N1
By Peggy Fletcher Stack: Salt Lake Tribune

BYU IDAHO

Men

A clean and well-cared-for appearance should be maintained. Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extreme styles or colors, and trimmed above the collar leaving the ear uncovered. Sideburns should not extend below the earlobe or onto the cheek. If worn, mustaches should be neatly trimmed and may not extend beyond or below the corners of the mouth. Men are expected to be clean shaven; beards are not acceptable. Earrings and other body piercing are unacceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas.

So my question is again... should it be a rule? If not, why do leaders try to 'impose' it on members so much? Is it that they want the leaders to look like the typical business man?

Offtopic but,
In my current leadership position I would get a lot of strange looks and 'comments' if I started growing a beard and mustache *lol*
I am clean shaven by the way ;)

Post Date: 20th Jan, 2003 - 3:16pm / Post ID: #

Dia. Mod + Chief Mod
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 17,337
Avg: 3.5 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 91.7%
[+] Gain: 1,209.09 FP
Charm: 334

Mormons Shaven Bearded

Well, the other day I was in a meeting in the Mission Office and in of the rooms they have pictures of all the Presidents of the Church and like it says in the article that JB putted in here, ALL the Prophets until David O. Mc Kay wear a beard. I personally don't like bears, I think they look good to only a few individuals but if you asked me I don't think the big deal about it in the Church. Or we forgot that even JesusChrist wears one!!! I am saying WEARS and not WORE!. If most of our Prophets wore one, what's bad about it?. I don't know, you all tell me, I don't see a big deal about it.

Post Date: 29th Dec, 2004 - 4:53pm / Post ID: #

Admin + Architect

Mormons Shaven Bearded

Just some scriptures dealing with grooming...

Leviticus

19:27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou
mar the corners of thy beard.

19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor
print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

21:5 They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they
shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in their
flesh.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »
Sponsored Links:

Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2019
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,

LDS Topics

Current Mormon Deep Discussion from our Community:

Highlights

The Trump Immigration Wall: Political Controversy WARNING you may find the contents of this Thread offensive, view at your own discretion. By News 3.8 Days Ago Discuss It!
Donald Trump: Donald Trump President of the United States of America - Real Estate mogul, Pageant owner and now one of the most controversial men in political history. By Politica 1 Week Ago Discuss It!
Russia vs USA: Russia Tactics versus U.S.A. Vs Russia Russia: 'The Evil Empire'? Are they all that bad or is it just the USA trying to portray Russia as bad because they are a world power with land bigger and a society very different from the USA ideal? By News 27th Feb, 2019 - 2:49am Discuss It!
Atheists Not To Be Feared!: New look at Atheists and their thinking - Atheism - Athiest - Do Not Believe In God By Xxbellaxx 13th Feb, 2019 - 8:12am Discuss It!
Global Warming: Natural Or Man-made?: global warming Global warming has been in and out as the "latest" hot topic for many years. It is, according to modern scientists, the result of man-made industrial pollutants, clearing forested areas, agriculture, etc. But now they are thinking it started way before the Industrial Revolution... By ILoveSMF 15th Jan, 2019 - 2:08pm Discuss It!
Stan Lee: Top  Stan Lee Comics By SMF 11th Dec, 2018 - 1:08pm Discuss It!
Kissing Up To The Boss In The Workplace: Top  Kissing Up Boss In Workplace By Reformist 22nd Nov, 2018 - 7:05pm Discuss It!
Men In Uniform - Authorized Excessive Violence: Political Controversy WARNING you may find the contents of this Thread offensive, view at your own discretion. By Pureyang 14th Nov, 2018 - 3:03pm Discuss It!
Your View On The Nature Of Interests: By News 4th Jul, 2018 - 7:30pm Discuss It!
Wide Screen Columns: Best of  Wide Screen Columns Users with wide screen monitors can benefit from more content on every page. By JB 14th Oct, 2017 - 12:32am Discuss It!
Offensive Trademarks: Best of  Offensive Trademarks By Abnninja 20th Jun, 2017 - 4:16pm Discuss It!

Updated every: 14 minutes