Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?

Mormons Shaven Bearded - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 29th Dec, 2004 - 4:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »
Mormon Hair Temple workers are required to have no facial hair and most likely the same is true for the General Authorities. Missionaries carry the same rule, but you do see the occasional Bishop or Stake President with a mustache or beard. What do you think? Should it be a rule in the Church?
Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? Related Information to Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?
11th Jan, 2003 - 3:34am / Post ID: #

Shaven or Bearded?

Temple workers are required to have no facial hair and most likely the same is true for the General Authorities. Missionaries carry the same rule, but you do see the occasional Bishop or Stake President with a mustache or beard. What do you think? Should it be a rule in the Church?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 15th Jan, 2003 - 9:04pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Bearded Shaven Mormons

Absolutely not! It shouldn't matter one way or the other so long as any beard or moustache is neatly trimmed. Where in scripture and who in any 1st presidency has ever stated that?

15th Jan, 2003 - 10:05pm / Post ID: #

Mormons - Shaven or Bearded? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Where in scripture and who in any 1st presidency has ever stated that?

Stated what? You mean the facial hair?

Post Date: 16th Jan, 2003 - 12:33am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Bearded Shaven Mormons

Temple workers are required to have no facial hair and most likely the same is through for the General Authorities. Missionaries carry the same rule,

Post Date: 16th Jan, 2003 - 12:51am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Bearded Shaven Mormons

I don't know that there is an official rule on this, but everywhere in the church it is generally accepted as the normal way to look. It hopefully should not make a difference in the spiritual worthiness of a priesthood holder.

16th Jan, 2003 - 1:09am / Post ID: #

Temple workers are required to have no facial hair and most likely the same is through for the General Authorities. Missionaries carry the same rule,

Actually if you look at my first post I never said that the First Presidency or the scriptures said that. I am actually asking the question 'if' it should be a rule. I will give you what knowledge I have on this subject:

1. I have been a member since I was eight and never have I heard it was a rule to not have a beard or mustache, but I was always encouraged strongly to not have one.

2. It is definitely a rule on the mission. The package you are sent in the mail calling you to serve and where you will be going defines clearly no facial hair (you can say that is from the First Presidency). It also goes as far as stating dark colored suits, etc. Only one time I have seen a missionary with facial hair. The reason for it was because he got 'permission' from his Mission President as he suffered a bad skin condition due to shaving. By the way, there is a paper, or booklet you get concerning your after mission experience. It counsels you to maintain the same appearence (clean cut) after your mission. (Although I hear a lot rebel and grow their facial and other hair wild *shaking head*)

3. Most leaders instruct us to follow the example of the Brethren. The example they have shown is no facial hair, Some members believe that this more a 'trend' set by David O. Mc Kay rather than an actual rule.

4. Here some stuff I got:

Temple Workers Must be Clean-Shaven Says News Policy

SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH -- A recent change in the policy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints requires that workers in its Temples be clean-shaven -- no beards or mustaches, according to a report in the Salt Lake Tribune this past weekend. According to the report,the policy change, announced six or eight weeks ago, is more restrictive that that required of BYU students and faculty and instructors in the Church's seminaries and institutes. It is similar to the requirements for full-time missionaries of the LDS Church.

Contacted by reporter Peggy Fletcher Stack, Church spokesmen refused to say why the policy was changed, discuss what being clean-shaven has to do with the requirements for Temple service, or even when the policy was issued. Information about the policy change came from Church members familiar with the policy.

Recently released Logan Temple President Jack Kidd speculates that the policy may have come because of "young folks [who] justify their bizarre kinds of [facial hair] by looking at some of the elderly people who have beards." But Kidd also said he was surprised at the policy when it was announced, "I was a little surprised when it came out. The only ones with beards in Logan are elderly and they are good, faithful men."

The new policy came as a shock to many Temple workers, including older men who had worn facial hair all their lives, and a few have even asked to be released as a result.

The Tribune article also reviews the history of facial hair among LDS Church leaders and various church-related policies on facial hair. Except for Joseph Smith, every LDS prophet until David O. McKay became prophet in 1951 had a beard. Since then, General Authorities have generally not had facial hair, and in 1969, Church-owned Brigham Young University, set grooming standards that prohibited beards and shortened hair off men's collars and ears.

Source:
LDS Church Tells Temple Workers: Get a Shave or Get Out
Salt Lake Tribune 5May01 N1
By Peggy Fletcher Stack: Salt Lake Tribune

BYU IDAHO

Men

A clean and well-cared-for appearance should be maintained. Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extreme styles or colors, and trimmed above the collar leaving the ear uncovered. Sideburns should not extend below the earlobe or onto the cheek. If worn, mustaches should be neatly trimmed and may not extend beyond or below the corners of the mouth. Men are expected to be clean shaven; beards are not acceptable. Earrings and other body piercing are unacceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas.

So my question is again... should it be a rule? If not, why do leaders try to 'impose' it on members so much? Is it that they want the leaders to look like the typical business man?

Offtopic but,
In my current leadership position I would get a lot of strange looks and 'comments' if I started growing a beard and mustache *laugh.gif*
I am clean shaven by the way wink.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Jan, 2003 - 3:16pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Shaven Bearded

Well, the other day I was in a meeting in the Mission Office and in of the rooms they have pictures of all the Presidents of the Church and like it says in the article that JB putted in here, ALL the Prophets until David O. Mc Kay wear a beard. I personally don't like bears, I think they look good to only a few individuals but if you asked me I don't think the big deal about it in the Church. Or we forgot that even JesusChrist wears one!!! I am saying WEARS and not WORE!. If most of our Prophets wore one, what's bad about it?. I don't know, you all tell me, I don't see a big deal about it.

29th Dec, 2004 - 4:53pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Shaven Bearded Mormon Doctrine Studies

Just some scriptures dealing with grooming...

Leviticus

19:27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou
mar the corners of thy beard.

19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor
print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

21:5 They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they
shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in their
flesh.

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (7) »

> TOPIC: Mormons - Shaven or Bearded?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,