Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year? - Page 2 of 4

Perhaps they do come into contact with a lot - Page 2 - Health, Diet, Medical News - Posted: 21st Oct, 2004 - 4:13am

Register Login Text RPG Play Text RPG ?     New: 3 21 82 Why Join Help
Support Future Terra II Project
+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 13th Oct, 2004 - 1:21pm / Post ID: #

Diamond + Author
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 3,526
Avg: 0.7 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 19.1%
[+] Gain: 200.00 FP
Charm: 225

Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year? - Page 2

I have come to the conclusion that I will not take a flu shot anymore. I believe that it decreases the strength of my immune system, rather than increasing it. In fact, I might consider a nasal version with live virus, as it seems it would make my immune system work to fight it. Perhaps I am weird about this, but I have been dealing with a weakened immune system ever since the first gulf war, and want to improve it.

Medical Level: Medical Applicant / Health Participation: 25 VirusDiseaseMedical Applicant 2.5%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 13th Oct, 2004 - 1:56pm / Post ID: #

Dia. Mod + Chief Mod
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 17,366
Avg: 3.7 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 95.2%
[+] Gain: 1,207.21 FP
Charm: 334

Year Shot Flu Received Have

In fact, I might consider a nasal version with live virus

Wait a minute...that sounds creepy :-/ Can you tell me exactly what is that?

Medical Level: Doctor / Health Participation: 355 VirusDiseaseDoctor 35.5%

Post Date: 13th Oct, 2004 - 3:42pm / Post ID: #

Diamond + Author
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 3,526
Avg: 0.7 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 19.1%
Charm: 225

Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year? News Medical & Diet Health

I think it is a nasal spray, which contains a weakened, but live virus. That way, you get a mild case of the flu, which strengthens your immune system so that a strong virus can't even start on your system. It is not good for people with already weak immune systems such as the elderly or transplant recipients.

Medical Level: Medical Applicant / Health Participation: 25 VirusDiseaseMedical Applicant 2.5%

Post Date: 14th Oct, 2004 - 6:41pm / Post ID: #

Member + Agent Zapper
[?] CPosts: 3,709
Avg: 0.8 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 21.9%
[+] Gain: 224.48 FP
Charm: 149

Page 2 Year Shot Flu Received Have

For example, my wife has asthma, so she is very susceptible to the flu and is not a good candidate for the nasal version of the flu. Staying on the topic of flu shots, there are now stories of price gouging because of the shortage. Here is an example from USAToday.com

Prices began climbing within hours of last week's quarantine by British regulators of vaccine produced there in plants owned by California-based Chiron, cutting the U.S. supply by about half.

Some hospitals said Wednesday that they had been offered flu vaccine for prices ranging from $400 to $900 a 10-dose vial. Normally, those vials sell for $80 to $100

Medical Level: Virus Researcher / Health Participation: 70 VirusDiseaseVirus Researcher 7%

Post Date: 15th Oct, 2004 - 2:34am / Post ID: #

Diamond + Chief
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 5,097
Avg: 1.3 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 33.2%
[+] Gain: 1,203.00 FP
Charm: 300

Year Shot Flu Received Have

After speaking with my pharmacist friend, here's her words to the wary (in my paraphrasing):

The live flu nasal spray, also known as FluMist, should not be administered to anyone under 5, and because it's live virus it is possible to spread that to others who may be at risk. Avoid children younger than 5, asthmatics, and people with immune disorders, undergoing treatment for cancer, pregnant, nursing, etc etc. The vaccine hasn't been long-term tested.

~~ So basically, it's okay for folks between the ages of 5 and 49 only, and people basically already in good health. It's not for the immune-challenged, or for the very young or very old, because it WILL cause a case of the flu -- mild, yes, but dangerous for those already at risk. She says you can probably find this info on some of the web medical sites.

My question is, if you're already in the age range to NOT get a flu shot and you are in relatively good health... why do you need a flu vaccine in the first place? I've never had one and don't intend to until I'm designated as high risk to die from influenza. It seems pointless otherwise.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

Medical Level: Medical Intern / Health Participation: 124 VirusDiseaseMedical Intern 12.4%

Post Date: 15th Oct, 2004 - 11:30am / Post ID: #

Diamond + G.I. Jane
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 3,057
Activity: 20.3%
Charm: 182

Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year?

I think the reason for healthy adults to get the flu shot is to help prevent an epidemic. In the early 1900's millions died as a result of a flu epidemic. In fact, more US soldiers were lost to influenza during WW1 than to enemy gunfire.

Most people get a virus in the winter and think they have the flu. They do not. Influenza is a very nasty illness that will make even the healthiest person pretty miserable for quite a while.

Even if you are not at great risk of dying from it, before you come down with the symptoms, you are spreading the virus. When you go to the mall, or to your daughter's school, work, etc., you are exposing others. Many of them are at risk of dying from it. So, I think one reason for healthy people to get the shot is, if you get the shot, it is possible you won't get the virus and then not be able to spread it.

Obviously, that isn't an option this year. I won't get the nasal mist. To me, that also puts others at risk. Am I going to get the mist and go home for 3 days? Not likely. I will still go to work, the mall, etc. So, since I am not at great risk of dying from influenza (which incidently doesn't mean I won't die from it), I think it is better to chance getting influenza rather than getting the mist and spreading it around. Not to mention, if long term studies haven't been done, I am not interested in being a guinea pig.

That way, you get a mild case of the flu, which strengthens your immune system so that a strong virus can't even start on your system

I do not believe it is accurate to say is strengthens your immune system. What happens is that you get a small amount of the virus in your system and you rimmune system fights it off. Part of this process is building antibodies to that virus. Once you have built antibodies to a particular virus, you are immune from it. That is why you only get the mumps once for example. You get it once, your body builds antibodies to fight it, you can't get it again. This is true in general. If you have a very mild case of a particular virus, your immunity will not last a lifetime. However, I do not believe getting a flu shot or mist it does anything to help you fight off another virus to which you haven't already been exposed.

Attached Image Edited: tenaheff on 15th Oct, 2004 - 11:44am

Medical Level: Virus Researcher / Health Participation: 56 VirusDiseaseVirus Researcher 5.6%

Post Date: 21st Oct, 2004 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

Member + Agent Zapper
[?] CPosts: 3,709
Activity: 21.9%
[+] Gain: 224.48 FP
Charm: 149

Page 2 Have Received Flu Shot Year

Quote from FOXNews.com

No Shortage of Flu Shots on Capitol Hill

WASHINGTON - President Bush isn't getting one. Attorney General John Ashcroft (search) isn't getting one.

But many members on Capitol Hill are reaching out for flu shots despite a major shortage that will leave the United States shy of about 45 million inoculations this year. Despite the deficit in influenza vaccines, the result of a contamination in the doses produced by British-owned Chiron Corp. about 2,000 shots are available to members and staffers on Capitol Hill at no charge

What is your opinion about this? The justification is that congressional members are in contact with people everyday, ranging from international leaders to local constituents. Do you agree with this? Should members of Capitol Hill be considered high risk?

Medical Level: Virus Researcher / Health Participation: 70 VirusDiseaseVirus Researcher 7%

Post Date: 21st Oct, 2004 - 4:13am / Post ID: #

Diamond + Chief
Lifestyle
[?] CPosts: 5,097
Avg: 1.3 Post(s) / Day
Activity: 33.2%
[+] Gain: 1,203.00 FP
Charm: 300

Have Received Flu Shot Year - Page 2

Perhaps they do come into contact with a lot of people every day, but so do other people in different occupations. Consider it another "perk" for being a member of the U.S. Congress.

IMO
Roz

Medical Level: Medical Intern / Health Participation: 124 VirusDiseaseMedical Intern 12.4%

Post Date: Fri Sep 21, 2018 - 15:46:05 GMT / Post ID: #

History

We break from Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year? to share wise words from the past:
HistoricToday is: 21st September (GMT), in history on the 21st of September, 1990 AD the following event happened:
Pirate Bobby Bond is 2nd to hit 30 HRs and steal 50 bases in a season (so he can play in 6 decades) because it is a publicity stunt

Guest please SHARE: "Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year?" on:

+  1 2 3 4 
Sponsored Links:

To go deeper into this Topic ensure to Search unique terms for: Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year?
Options Fast Reply Add Reply Add Poll

No Registration Required!

We welcome input from visitors:
Add Comment As A Guest
Guest, please be considerate by using the appropriate tags as well as checking your grammar before submitting or it will be deleted. See: Constructive Posting Policy.

Tip TIP: Press above button ONCE only. If you come back here via the [Back] button on your browser then you will need to click [More Options] button (below) first in order to re-enable your ability to Post.

> TOPIC: Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year?

Share:

Like:

Donate Compare Membership
International Discussions Coded by: BGID® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2018
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Privacy and Disclaimer pages.

ROK II

Current Leaders

Krusten

Krusten (12)
Wizard

Merlin (11)
Dnarion

Aldaris (9)
Hunter

Thorin (8)
KNtoran

Wothfard (7)
Seraphina

Alana (7)

Aspiring Leaders

Dragon / Vitiosus (5)
Anronrosby / Cedrick (5)
Beowolf / Norskman (4)
Lace / Sonia (4)
Keidivh / Alrick (3)
Workman / Shamus (3)

Ready To Rule?

Are you here yet or still hiding? Come out of your cave and become a Ruler... a Ruler of Kings.

Highlights

Donald Trump: Donald Trump President of the United States of America - Real Estate mogul, Pageant owner and now nominee for President of the USA? By Skeptic 1 Week Ago Discuss It!
Crowdfunding For Future Terra II: Future Terra Donations
We need Backers! We have: $269 of $1,500 (We need $3,000 total)
Raising funds for the Future Terra II Science Fiction Text RPG through Donations. This was started in August, 2018.
Our Current Backers:
Daishain - $164
Silencedmind - $45
Anronrosby - $24
Stacia - $12
Mikeyd - $12
Play By Post - $12

By JB 24th Aug, 2018 - 3:03am Discuss It!
Global Warming: Natural Or Man-made?: global warming Global warming has been in and out as the "latest" hot topic for many years. It is, according to modern scientists, the result of man-made industrial pollutants, clearing forested areas, agriculture, etc. But now they are thinking it started way before the Industrial Revolution... By Hunter 19th Aug, 2018 - 5:28pm Discuss It!
Russia vs USA: Russia Tactics versus U.S.A. Vs Russia Russia: 'The Evil Empire'? Are they all that bad or is it just the USA trying to portray Russia as bad because they are a world power with land bigger and a society very different from the USA ideal? By News 8th Aug, 2018 - 10:33pm Discuss It!
Your View On The Nature Of Interests: By News 4th Jul, 2018 - 7:30pm Discuss It!
The Trump Immigration Wall: Political Controversy WARNING you may find the contents of this Thread offensive, view at your own discretion. By News 2nd Jun, 2018 - 12:21am Discuss It!
Men In Uniform - Authorized Excessive Violence: Political Controversy WARNING you may find the contents of this Thread offensive, view at your own discretion. By KNtoran 7th Feb, 2018 - 12:03am Discuss It!
Atheists Not To Be Feared!: New look at Atheists and their thinking - Atheism - Athiest - Do Not Believe In God By Gknightbc 18th Nov, 2017 - 5:34pm Discuss It!
Wide Screen Columns: Best of  Wide Screen Columns Users with wide screen monitors can benefit from more content on every page. By JB 14th Oct, 2017 - 12:32am Discuss It!
Offensive Trademarks: Best of  Offensive Trademarks By Abnninja 20th Jun, 2017 - 4:16pm Discuss It!

Updated every: 14 minutes