Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year? - Page 2 of 4

Perhaps they do come into contact with a lot - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 21st Oct, 2004 - 4:13am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
13th Oct, 2004 - 1:21pm / Post ID: #

Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year? - Page 2

I have come to the conclusion that I will not take a flu shot anymore. I believe that it decreases the strength of my immune system, rather than increasing it. In fact, I might consider a nasal version with live virus, as it seems it would make my immune system work to fight it. Perhaps I am weird about this, but I have been dealing with a weakened immune system ever since the first gulf war, and want to improve it.

Sponsored Links:
13th Oct, 2004 - 1:56pm / Post ID: #

Year Shot Flu Received Have

In fact, I might consider a nasal version with live virus

Wait a minute...that sounds creepy undecided.gif Can you tell me exactly what is that?

13th Oct, 2004 - 3:42pm / Post ID: #

Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year? Health & Special Psychology

I think it is a nasal spray, which contains a weakened, but live virus. That way, you get a mild case of the flu, which strengthens your immune system so that a strong virus can't even start on your system. It is not good for people with already weak immune systems such as the elderly or transplant recipients.

14th Oct, 2004 - 6:41pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Year Shot Flu Received Have

For example, my wife has asthma, so she is very susceptible to the flu and is not a good candidate for the nasal version of the flu. Staying on the topic of flu shots, there are now stories of price gouging because of the shortage. Here is an example from USAToday.com

Prices began climbing within hours of last week's quarantine by British regulators of vaccine produced there in plants owned by California-based Chiron, cutting the U.S. supply by about half.

Some hospitals said Wednesday that they had been offered flu vaccine for prices ranging from $400 to $900 a 10-dose vial. Normally, those vials sell for $80 to $100

15th Oct, 2004 - 2:34am / Post ID: #

Year Shot Flu Received Have

After speaking with my pharmacist friend, here's her words to the wary (in my paraphrasing):

The live flu nasal spray, also known as FluMist, should not be administered to anyone under 5, and because it's live virus it is possible to spread that to others who may be at risk. Avoid children younger than 5, asthmatics, and people with immune disorders, undergoing treatment for cancer, pregnant, nursing, etc etc. The vaccine hasn't been long-term tested.

~~ So basically, it's okay for folks between the ages of 5 and 49 only, and people basically already in good health. It's not for the immune-challenged, or for the very young or very old, because it WILL cause a case of the flu -- mild, yes, but dangerous for those already at risk. She says you can probably find this info on some of the web medical sites.

My question is, if you're already in the age range to NOT get a flu shot and you are in relatively good health... why do you need a flu vaccine in the first place? I've never had one and don't intend to until I'm designated as high risk to die from influenza. It seems pointless otherwise.

In my opinion, of course.
Roz

15th Oct, 2004 - 11:30am / Post ID: #

Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year?

I think the reason for healthy adults to get the flu shot is to help prevent an epidemic. In the early 1900's millions died as a result of a flu epidemic. In fact, more US soldiers were lost to influenza during WW1 than to enemy gunfire.

Most people get a virus in the winter and think they have the flu. They do not. Influenza is a very nasty illness that will make even the healthiest person pretty miserable for quite a while.

Even if you are not at great risk of dying from it, before you come down with the symptoms, you are spreading the virus. When you go to the mall, or to your daughter's school, work, etc., you are exposing others. Many of them are at risk of dying from it. So, I think one reason for healthy people to get the shot is, if you get the shot, it is possible you won't get the virus and then not be able to spread it.

Obviously, that isn't an option this year. I won't get the nasal mist. To me, that also puts others at risk. Am I going to get the mist and go home for 3 days? Not likely. I will still go to work, the mall, etc. So, since I am not at great risk of dying from influenza (which incidently doesn't mean I won't die from it), I think it is better to chance getting influenza rather than getting the mist and spreading it around. Not to mention, if long term studies haven't been done, I am not interested in being a guinea pig.

That way, you get a mild case of the flu, which strengthens your immune system so that a strong virus can't even start on your system

I do not believe it is accurate to say is strengthens your immune system. What happens is that you get a small amount of the virus in your system and you rimmune system fights it off. Part of this process is building antibodies to that virus. Once you have built antibodies to a particular virus, you are immune from it. That is why you only get the mumps once for example. You get it once, your body builds antibodies to fight it, you can't get it again. This is true in general. If you have a very mild case of a particular virus, your immunity will not last a lifetime. However, I do not believe getting a flu shot or mist it does anything to help you fight off another virus to which you haven't already been exposed.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 15th Oct, 2004 - 11:44am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Oct, 2004 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

Have Received Flu Shot Year - Page 2

Quote from FOXNews.com

No Shortage of Flu Shots on Capitol Hill

WASHINGTON - President Bush isn't getting one. Attorney General John Ashcroft (search) isn't getting one.

But many members on Capitol Hill are reaching out for flu shots despite a major shortage that will leave the United States shy of about 45 million inoculations this year. Despite the deficit in influenza vaccines, the result of a contamination in the doses produced by British-owned Chiron Corp. about 2,000 shots are available to members and staffers on Capitol Hill at no charge

What is your opinion about this? The justification is that congressional members are in contact with people everyday, ranging from international leaders to local constituents. Do you agree with this? Should members of Capitol Hill be considered high risk?

21st Oct, 2004 - 4:13am / Post ID: #

Have Received Flu Shot Year Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

Perhaps they do come into contact with a lot of people every day, but so do other people in different occupations. Consider it another "perk" for being a member of the U.S. Congress.

IMO
Roz

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Have You Received Your Flu Shot This Year?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,