Global Warming: Natural Or Man-made? - Page 7 of 71

QUOTE (Nighthawk @ 19-Jul 06, 11:39 AM) That - Page 7 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 19th Jul, 2006 - 11:45pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 71 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...Latest (71) »
global warming Global warming has been in and out as the "latest" hot topic for many years. It is, according to modern scientists, the result of man-made industrial pollutants, clearing forested areas, agriculture, etc. But now they are thinking it started way before the Industrial Revolution...
Post Date: 27th Jun, 2006 - 10:58am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Global Warming: Natural Or Man-made? - Page 7

TOP COURT IS TACKLING GLOBAL WARMING

The Supreme Court plunged on Monday into the acrimonious debate over global warming and whether the government should regulate `greenhouse` gases, especially carbon dioxide from cars. The ruling could be one of the court's most important ever on the environment.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C3949%2C%2C00.html

Sponsored Links:
4th Jul, 2006 - 12:18am / Post ID: #

Man-made Natural Warming Global

https://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008597
Don't Believe the Hype
Al Gore is wrong. There's no "consensus" on global warming.

According to Al Gore's new film "An Inconvenient Truth," we're in for "a planetary emergency": melting ice sheets, huge increases in sea levels, more and stronger hurricanes, and invasions of tropical disease, among other cataclysms--unless we change the way we live now.

Bill Clinton has become the latest evangelist for Mr. Gore's gospel, proclaiming that current weather events show that he and Mr. Gore were right about global warming, and we are all suffering the consequences of President Bush's obtuseness on the matter. And why not? Mr. Gore assures us that "the debate in the scientific community is over."

That statement, which Mr. Gore made in an interview with George Stephanopoulos on ABC, ought to have been followed by an asterisk. What exactly is this debate that Mr. Gore is referring to? Is there really a scientific community that is debating all these issues and then somehow agreeing in unison? Far from such a thing being over, it has never been clear to me what this "debate" actually is in the first place.

The media rarely help, of course. When Newsweek featured global warming in a 1988 issue, it was claimed that all scientists agreed. Periodically thereafter it was revealed that although there had been lingering doubts beforehand, now all scientists did indeed agree. Even Mr. Gore qualified his statement on ABC only a few minutes after he made it, clarifying things in an important way. When Mr. Stephanopoulos confronted Mr. Gore with the fact that the best estimates of rising sea levels are far less dire than he suggests in his movie, Mr. Gore defended his claims by noting that scientists "don't have any models that give them a high level of confidence" one way or the other and went on to claim--in his defense--that scientists "don't know. . . . They just don't know."

There is a bit more. Excellent reading.

I have never (as far as I can remember) claimed that there absolutely ISN'T global warming occurring. I have said, all along, that we really don't know enough about what is happening to come to any conclusions. However, an awful lot of scientifically challenged liberals have jumped on statements such as Al Gore's, as ways to restrict other people's rights and opportunities. A lot of publicity hungry scientists have made claims that they cannot support. And a lot of other people have tried to get some clear answers. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of clear answers.

As this article points out, Alpine glaciers have been retreating for some decades. But now, they are growing. The icepack on Greenland is growing tremendously. And no scientists can adequately explain these phenomena.

Again, read the whole article.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

16th Jul, 2006 - 6:30pm / Post ID: #

Global Warming: Natural Or Man-made? History & Civil Business Politics

Well, for what its worth, read the following article:
https://www.alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_archives/002416.html

I can't say too much about it without spoiling the effects of the little quiz at the beginning. Some good information to consider, especially when people want to blame the US for everything.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 18th Jul, 2006 - 2:37am / Post ID: #

Global Warming: Natural Or Man-made?
A Friend

Page 7 Man-made Natural Warming Global

Oddly enough, I read an article some years back that said we will debate global warming until the ice caps stop receding, then start growing. But by then it will be to late because it would be the start of a slow and gradual new ice age. Now I'm not saying I believe that, but I'm not saying I believe something on the opinion journal either. There are definitely conflicting sources, both credible, that argue ice caps coming back. But they do mention that it is at an alarming rate. One article linked to the opinion journal article said that antarctica is increasing its base every year as well as greenland and other areas of previous concern. But the theories on "Ice Age Now" indicate that a sudden change in amounts of ice and snow would indicate a new global climate change, a new ice age. Antarctica is increasing its mass of snow and ice, currently by a couple sites including one linked to the opinion journal article, at a rate of nearly five feet per year and growing. Thats not just a phenomenon, thats alarming. I hope they are all wrong and you are all right that global warming is a myth and that we have nothing to worry about. Because if you were wrong, it may very well already be to late to do anything about it. And there is no point in arguing it now, it either is or isn't happening, time will tell the victor I suppose, and I hope its not me.

18th Jul, 2006 - 8:39pm / Post ID: #

Man-made Natural Warming Global

QUOTE ((konquererz))
Because if you were wrong, it may very well already be to late to do anything about it. And there is no point in arguing it now, it either is or isn't happening, time will tell the victor I suppose, and I hope its not me.

First, I don't believe we could do anything about it if we tried. How, for example, would you propose that we stop the ice cap bases from increasing? If it's pollution that causes them to shrink, and we haven't made any real headway in decreasing pollution, then why are the ice caps increasing? That tells me that we, as humans, have very little to no effect whatsoever on climate change.

Second, it's not about winning or losing an argument over this. It's about doing the research, then making your own decision about it, and then taking action for your own family based on your decision. Check the so-called "facts" the media report. It isn't that difficult to find information anymore.

Third, in the long run, if the earth's climate does change dramatically and abruptly, I doubt anyone is going to waste any time telling anyone "I told you so."

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 18th Jul, 2006 - 11:32pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Well, the point was that once you start the reaction down a certain path, nothing could be done. And when it comes to our future, the battle for it is won in the discussions we have now to do something or don't do anything. "Winning" the argument is only relevant to convincing people to take steps to end our pollution and global warming. It is very important to win that discussion not just between friends but in the hearts and mind of the american public.

I finished reading last months copy of popular science in which it listed ten very efficient, much cheaper ways of getting clean, cheaper, renewable energy sources that have been test and work and are being used in many places around the world already. The only reason we don't use them and remain using oil, natural gas, and coal is because of politics alone. In fact, there are now jet stream wind farms that produce enough energy in one farm to supply four states with all the energy they need.

Its just sad to see people argue against global warming, when in reality, doing something to help the situation whether you really believe in it or not, saves us money, reduces pollution, gives us a renewable resource of energy, and breaks our dependence on foreign oil. That has been the goal of convincing people of global warming the entire time, focus on the solution, not the problem. But it back fired because people are so bent on being right about this that they failed to see that the solution to what many consider a problem, helps them as well. Arguing that they are right in actuality hurts everyone in the long run.

As for all the scientists that are supposedly saying that global warming isn't happening, well just as many distinguished scientists disagree. In fact, it was on independent news recently as well as fox news that scientists are saying global warming is contributing to the higher amount of wildfires due to increase in temperature nearly every year for the last ten years.

While everyone is busy telling me that the facts don't back it up, there are equal amounts of facts to back it up, such as the increase in actual average temperature over an extended period of time. These facts are not in dispute, but some scientists are just writing them off as cycles. The debate is regarding the interpretation of facts over other facts. I suppose it really depends on which "experts" opinion of the facts you want to believe, because there are more than enough scientists saying that the scientists against global warming are wrong and vice versa.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Jul, 2006 - 4:39pm / Post ID: #

Global Warming Natural Man-made - Page 7

That is the problem. There are just as many facts against global warming as there are to support it. Yet we are told every day by the Left that we MUST make incredible changes to our lifestyles and our economy, based upon these questionable facts.

I don't have any problem with finding alternative fuel sources, except that we don't really have any. Even ethanol is not a really good alternative, as there isn't enough material available to make enough ethanol to really make a difference. Corn farmers learned from the dust bowl days of the early 20th Century that they need to leave the chopped up stalks and leaves from the corn on the ground to protect it from drying out and blowing away over the winter. Yet this is what the government wants to use to make the ethanol.

Hydrogen doesn't work, because there is not yet any really safe and efficient way to use it. Fuel cells that will work in cars are still far in the future, and fuel cell technology in general still isn't all that mature.

As for pollution, current automobile technology is getting so good that there is more problem with emissions from cows than from new automobiles.

Another note, the I truly doubt any of the global warming alarmists have bothered to explain is this:

Carbon dioxide is one of the least important so-called "greenhouse gasses" that could contribute to global warming. It has something less than 10% of the overall effect projected. The greatest offender is water vapor - humidity. It has over 85% of the projected effect. If someone can tell me how to reduce the humidity in the air, I am all for it.

Another note about the US. The United States is NOT a carbon dioxide net creator, despite the claims from the Left. Due to our massive forests and agriculture, the US is a net absorber of carbon dioxide. But the Kyoto treaty was designed with the idea that the US is a net producer, so that other countries could use that idea to "redistribute" wealth from the US.

Finally, here is a very interesting commentary that I read yesterday:
https://www.townhall.com/columnists/DennisP...onservatives_do
Why liberals fear global warming far more than conservatives do

Post Date: 19th Jul, 2006 - 11:45pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Global Warming Natural Man-made Politics Business Civil & History - Page 7

QUOTE (Nighthawk @ 19-Jul 06, 11:39 AM)
That is the problem. There are just as many facts against global warming as there are to support it. Yet we are told every day by the Left that we MUST make incredible changes to our lifestyles and our economy, based upon these questionable facts.

I don't have any problem with finding alternative fuel sources, except that we don't really have any. Even ethanol is not a really good alternative, as there isn't enough material available to make enough ethanol to really make a difference. Corn farmers learned from the dust bowl days of the early 20th Century that they need to leave the chopped up stalks and leaves from the corn on the ground to protect it from drying out and blowing away over the winter. Yet this is what the government wants to use to make the ethanol.

The facts that you call questionable are only questionable to people on your side of the argument. The facts we get from scientists on your side of the argument also is considered questionable on our side. To me, its not a question of if, but when we will have to pay for our pollution.

As for no alternative fuel sources, thank you for buying into media propaganda and feeding the same lie people have been believing for years. Popular Science had a front page article just a couple months ago showing the top ten alternative fuels and showed how they are being used extremely cheap by individuals and other countries around the world. Alternative fuel has been here, and easy to implement, and cheaper, and more efficient than fossil fuels for ten years now. Like I already posted, they already have jet stream wind farms that can produce enough output to power four states. That means using an electric car, using wind power electricity would drastically slash pollution output. It really has nothing to do with technology, it has everything to do with politics and big oil companies. Its not questionable or disputed, just politics holding us to higher prices for a higher profit.

So sorry if I don't buy into the global warming is a myth. In fact, pushing for things that help global warming will save us money and make us more efficient. Drastic changes have permeated our country for nearly 200 years, its not like it doesn't happen all the time. And even if they didn't, drastic change does not mean its not for the better.

> TOPIC: Global Warming: Natural Or Man-made?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,