European Union - Good Or Bad? - Page 5 of 12

Schroeder and Chirac want ratification process - Page 5 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 7th Jun, 2005 - 5:45pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (12) »
EU - Euro Does the EU take away the sovereignty of nations in Europe? Now there is a suggestion that the EU needs its own leader. Can someone lead so many soverign nations peacefully?
European Union - Good Or Bad? Related Information to European Union - Good Or Bad?
3rd Jun, 2005 - 6:34pm / Post ID: #

European Union - Good Or Bad? - Page 5

From the pages of the OpinionJournal (a website related to The Wall Street Journal).

https://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/fe...ml?id=110006768

The Europeans have created a vast constellation of domestic policy interventions that are cloaked in the seductive rhetoric of compassion, fairness and cultural sophistication. These policies include highly generous welfare benefits for the unemployed; state ownership and subsidy of key industries (such as Airbus); rules that make it difficult to hire and fire workers; prohibitions against closing down plants; heavy protections of labor unions against competitive forces; mandatory worker benefit packages that include health insurance, child care allowances, paid parental leave, four to six weeks of vacation; shortened work weeks; and, alas, high taxes on business and labor to pay for these lavish benefits.

In sum, European nations penalize work and subsidize non-work, and, no surprise, they have gotten a lot of the latter and far too little of the former. By contrast, the U.S. model--allegedly cruel and "laissez-faire"--has done much better both by economic growth and worker opportunity.

This is a very concise analysis of what is happening in Europe, economically, and how the EU is creating its own downfall.

This article is a great example of why I subscribe to the OpinionJournal and at least browse it every day.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 5th Jun, 2005 - 10:27am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Bad Good Union European

NEWS ANALYSIS: CAN EUROPE CROSS IDEOLOGICAL GULF?

A clash of ideas, of ideologies almost, is looming in Europe between a British leader whose fortunes have been slightly revived and the crippled leaders of France and Germany.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...39134%2C00.html

5th Jun, 2005 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

European Union - Good Or Bad? History & Civil Business Politics

Here you go, another analysis and commentary on what is happening in Europe.
https://eu-serf.blogspot.com/2005/06/lessons-from-battle.html

This is from The Road to Euro Serfdom, a great blog.

Content with the fact that there was nothing stopping them, European politicians pushed forward with projects and ideas that were radical in the extreme. Supporting these with appeals to the electorate's emotions with talk of peace and prosperity, they failed in their duties to the people upon whose sovereignty their power is based.

The idea that a nation can abolish its own currency without a national debate on the subject is surely an extremist idea. Yet Germany, a nation with one of the world's most trusted currencies did just that. That such a major project could store up trouble for the future was obviously discounted, or ignored as someone else's problem. Nobody thought that the overcharging on Dutch citizens to pay for the project was a problem, except of course for the Dutch citizens themselves.

I found this to be a marvelous commentary. This is probably one of my greatest concerns about the whole EU project. The supposedly "democratic" countries of Europe have been promoting the establishment of this "United States of Europe" without either the advice or consent of their citizens.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

5th Jun, 2005 - 8:03pm / Post ID: #

Page 5 Bad Good Union European

In my opinion I doubt the EU could ever mimic the Uniter States as a Union for the three major reasons I have listed below:

1. The EU never united to defeat a common enemy, but instead throughout history have been fighting each other and there are still bitter feelings about it. In fact this whole EU plan is based on big business in high places among the few (as far as I can see) not protecting rights, giving tribute to God or anything that the US Constitution was meant to protect.

2. You are asking sovereign established countries to basically relinquish it for something that takes away more freedoms and as Nighthawk pointed out - is not the will of the man on the street

3. The cultures are far spaced, not to mention the language barrier (although most Europeans can easily over come this the British are not eager to learn), and you are once again trying to unite peoples that had no common reason to unify before where as there were lots of reasons the thirteen original colonies had to unite - they all wanted religious freedom, they all came from across the ocean, they all wanted the British out. in fact with the 'qualifications' for EU status one country that is very developed is 'forced' to accept anything pulsating from the country that is not as developed.

Now do not get me wrong, I am not saying the US's union is the best ever, I am just saying that if it was the EU's leaders concept to form a comparable Union that would mimic the growth and outcome of the US then they are 'kicking against the pricks'. Let us not forget also that in any Union there are bound to be 'renegade' States and what happens then?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

5th Jun, 2005 - 8:13pm / Post ID: #

Bad Good Union European

You might also add the reason that what is now the US were a free people that created their Constitituion (We the People) and thus government whereas in the EU they have decided to reverse the process and have the political elite/governments write their own Constitution by which they will be "bound" and whether the people have any rights protected by law is a matter of their whim...

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 100 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 10%

5th Jun, 2005 - 10:05pm / Post ID: #

European Union - Good Or Bad?

Not being from Europe I will admit I have not been as attentive to the EU debate. As an American, we have enough problems here that I can get excited about. If I was a European I think I would have to be against the forming of a singular European constitution and government. National pride can be very powerful and unit a group. Lets face it, the European continent has never been very good at uniting under a single flag.

I do think there are some good economic ideas in the EU design though. A single currency is a very good idea for Europe. The cost of producing coin and currency is very expensive and the exchange rate varies from border to border. Over time the Euro should be as powerful as the dollar, yen or British Pound.

Ultimately I do not think the EU will become a reality, France is too independent to ever agree to a singular government.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 13 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.3%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 6th Jun, 2005 - 1:22am / Post ID: #

European Union - Good Or Bad?
A Friend

European Union Good Bad - Page 5

In the future the main trading blocks of the world will will enslave nationalist states that stand alone. That is a fact that is rapidly emerging. I understand that Europe with its long history of wars will always seek first refuge in its national state. The British Empire, Hitler, Stalin, Napoleon, Rome, Greece Ghenis Khan, and all the Empires before could never permanently conquer Europe or unite it.

Economic Depression, hunger, decay will. Especially if that decline is imposed from outside economic realities.

Expansion is a costly business: EU subsidies to the Eastern countries will be $40 billion between 2004 and 2006, a large slice of the annual $97 billion Brussels budget. And that is unlikely to scratch the surface. Anyone following the decline of Germany's economy cannot fail to recognise the immense investment of resources by old West Germany into the East, for little economic return.

Just visit smaller towns and cities in places like Slovakia or the Czech Republic, dominated still by Stalin-influenced mass-housing projects and decaying ex-communist infrastructure. Many of those 75 million new Euro citizens are existing on average incomes of no more than $450 a month, yet will have an expectation of the same kinds of economic and social rights that those in France, Germany and Britain take for granted. They will also find themselves bound by tens of thousands of EU directives, such as rules on food preparation and hygiene in restaurants, which will be impossibly expensive to implement without help.
Ref. https://euroyank.blogspot.com/#111783639602239809

Message Edited!
Persephone: Removed indirect promotion text of external site

Post Date: 7th Jun, 2005 - 5:45pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

European Union Good Bad Politics Business Civil & History - Page 5

Schroeder and Chirac want ratification process to be continued

Berlin. Regardless of the loss of the French referendum on the EU Constitution, German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder and French President Jacques Chirac have spoken in favour of continuing the ratification process in other countries. At a two-and-a-half-hour meeting yesterday evening, both leaders were in agreement, according to their spokesmen, that the idea of a European constitution should not be dropped, despite the controversy. German government spokesman Bela Anda said that nothing was more important that to give voice to support for the European project, especially in this difficult phase. He added that Schroeder would make clear at the upcoming summit meeting in Brussels that he was prepared to make concessions in the financing of the EU. Anda said that national egoisms could no longer be permitted to play a role. On the issue of the controversial rebate [in payments to the EU administration] which Britain has enjoyed for over twenty years, Anda said that everyone was going to have to be willing to move.
Ref. https://www.germnews.de/dn

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (12) »

> TOPIC: European Union - Good Or Bad?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,