Mormon Sisters Working? - Page 3 of 6

This is one of my gf and I's favorite - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Oct, 2005 - 3:56pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

?
Poll: Do you feel the mother of the home should work?
  Yes, I see nothing wrong with it       39.29%
  Yes, Only if it is absolutely necessary       50.00%
  Yes, but part-time only       0.00%
  Yes, if the husband wants it       0.00%
  No, a mother should be home       10.71%
  No, women should be home       0.00%
Total Votes: 28
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
The provider at home. Should the husband / father be the sole bread winner? Controversial Mormon Issue.
Post Date: 3rd Mar, 2004 - 5:21pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working?
A Friend

Mormon Sisters Working? - Page 3

When my wife and I got married we lived in Orlando Florida. Both of us were working, and making pretty good money. My wife was a paralegal of 22 years and I was a business owner.

2 1/2 years ago we came to the conclusion that we really wanted to start focusing on just what was sufficient for our needs and living as close to the law of consecration as we could in this economic environment.

We moved to a small rural community in middle Tennessee and started developing a life style were we could be pretty self sufficient and devote our selves to the Gospel. I got a pretty good job and my wife stayed at home to start getting things prepared so that we could adopt some children.

It took a lot of growing and stretching and learning and crying and praying but the changes were good for us. During this time I have adopted one of my favorite slogans, "Money is a Satanic plot". I usually say it in jest but I truly believe that undernieth the levity there is some truth to it.

Last August most of our plans came to a screetching halt. I was injured on the job and almost lost the use of my legs. We found ourselves not able to meet our obligations on the 60% of the salary I was making paid to me by workers compensation insurance. I had another policy that was supposed to make up the difference of that wage, but due to a clerical error at my company, the premiums for the policy were never paid and the policy was cancelled the day before I was injured. undecided.gif The day before, tell me that wasn't a satanic plot. cry.gif

However thankfully my wife had the experience and ability to return to the work force and pick up where I had left off.

Now, thankfully to good doctors and the blessings of the priesthood I am almost fully recovered. I will probably always have some pain in my legs for the rest of my life, but that will qualify me for a cash settlement from the insurance that will enable us to complete the building projects we had started.

Also during the last several months I have been able to put pieces of the puzzle into place on our little farm so that we very soon will be able to kick off several home based business alowing my wife to come home from the work place and I may not have to return to it.

The ultimate blessing of it all will be that we should be able to provide for ourselves, produce a livable income for ourselves and children we intend to adopt all from our little farm.

Even though the injury was painful and frightening, we have truly learned that the Lord keeps his promises. And in this case particularly the promise that he gave us that all things will work to our bennifit if we love him and have trust and faith in him.

Of course also one of the key components was the ability and willingness of my perfect wife to become the primary breadwinner again for a short time as needed.

RC3

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 8th Mar, 2004 - 9:33pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working?
A Friend

Working Sisters Mormon

My wife ran a day care in our home for seven years. This was her chosen source of income because she did not want to leave our little ones with a baby sitter. It worked great, there was no problem finding kids to watch and she earned $300-$400 per week for most of the time she was doing it. It surely isn't an easy job, it drove us crazy at times but we needed the income.

Now that our youngest is 9 years old, my wife is a substitute teacher, hoping to get a full teaching job soon. It's not the best situation to have the wife working, but it beats the alternative of living day to day, eeking out an existence.

What's hard to define is where you draw the line between needing the income and just wanting more money. When my wife was baby sitting all those years, I was only making abour 20k per year. We felt we needed the extra income. Now I make about double that and we could live on 40k but not when you consider college, weddings etc for the future so it still is a necessity.

Post Date: 20th Apr, 2004 - 10:18pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working?
A Friend

Mormon Sisters Working? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I had to make a decision related to this just a couple weeks ago. Before I became a member, I was a very career-oriented person and I had decided that I wanted to join the Air Force and become a pilot. I was on the road to doing so until I decided that I did not want to tie myself down to a 10 year obligation in the Air Force after I graduate from college (in 3 years probably) because I want to have the option of staying home with a family if I get married and start one within the next 13 years. I believe firmly that an education is valuable to everyone, especially women, and that an education does not go to waste when a woman chooses to stay at home with her children. My bishop's wife told me a story about how she gave up her teaching career to stay home with her first child. One of her friends told her child, "You are the luckiest little boy, because your mom could have been anything in the world, but she chose to be your mom." That story is really comforting and encouraging to me. However, I also believe that sometimes it is necessary for women to work, as previously addressed in this forum topic.

It's a tough subject, definitely. The world convinces us that our life is a career instead of a mission, and I read in the paper that around 40% of American women are choosing not to have children now. There is a lot of opposition to the family. But it seems that everyone here is staying as strong as they can.

21st Apr, 2004 - 1:08am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Working Sisters Mormon

Moo, wow, that's great you want to stay at home and be a mom. smile.gif Some time ago I was reading a message of the Young Women's General Presidency and they were saying that they want to make more emphasis to the Young Women in the Church about motherhood, they feel all that the Young Women talk about is going to college or a mission but nothing about being a mom and a wife and she was saying the Brethren are concerned about it. The world has become so tough that our youth need to get back to the old values, the values that as Latter-Day Saints we know never are out of fashion.
I'm a mom of a 4 years old son, I'm also a High School Teacher. I spent the first 3 and half years of my son with him at home and it was great, now that he goes to school it allows me to give a hand to my husband but I know that if Heavenly Father blesses me with more children, I would like to stay at home full time.

Post Date: 18th Jan, 2005 - 12:54pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working?
A Friend

Working Sisters Mormon

Families with mom at home will be blessed. But is it OK for a LDS family to deny these blessings from a non-LDS family? Anyway the society / community needs female teachers, hospital personnel etc. Are we selfishly keeping the blessings and letting others to do the dirty work?

Let's have an example from school. I would not send my first grader children to a school with only male teachers, even though they would be LDS. Even in church primary and nursery are lead and run by sisters, for the same reason it must be so in the world too.

I think, that the contribution which sisters can give, can be as valuable to the society as to her home. How much more good can a sister do in the world by preparing our children and youth to survive in the world with same divine principles and values that they are teaching at home. I hope and believe, that sisters working can do more good to missionary work, than young missionaries alone, by preparing a gospel friendly atmosphere and attitudes.

Should we leave our children to 'worldly' teachers for school time, and mothers then can start correcting them at home in the evening? Is it better to have LDS valued teachers in school already from the morning and let mothers and fathers continue at home?

Are we sometimes too introverted to extremity in our LDS communities. I think if we want to get people in the church, we should go first to the world showing and glowing the gospel, even mothers should.

Of course a mother should stay at home with small children, but someday children (and father) are old enough to give their mother a possibility to work outside home and give where she is good at, also outside the family and church.

27th Aug, 2005 - 8:41am / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working?

It all goes back to "needs vs wants". We know Heavenly Father has shared what the responsibility of women and men in this Great Plan of Happiness. My mother did not work until my brother and I were in our mid teens but she was always home at the same time as us, after school. mum like working with her hands. she did not have to earn money but felt she was idle at home and therefore chose to work part time. Now at the age of 54 she is studying instead! My best memories as a child are of my mum taking us to the library and taking us out to movies or pantomimes. I am really fortunate that mum was home during my childhood. And now that I am married my wife and I would not have it any other way!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 11th Sep, 2005 - 1:48pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working - Page 3

"I was recently at a park where I met a group of women with mother hearts. They were young, covenant-keeping women. They were bright and had obtained advanced degrees from respected universities. Now they were devoting their considerable gifts to planning dinner that evening and sharing housekeeping ideas. They were teaching two-year-olds to be kind to one another. They were soothing babies, kissing bruised knees, and wiping tears. I asked one of those mothers how it came about that she could transfer her talents so cheerfully into the role of motherhood. She replied, 'I know who I am, and I know what I am supposed to do. The rest just follows.' That young mother will build faith and character in the next generation one family prayer at a time, one scripture study session, one book read aloud, one song, one family meal after another. She is involved in a great work. She knows that 'children are an heritage of the Lord' and 'happy is the [woman] that hath [a] quiver full of them' (Psalm 127:3, 5). She knows that the influence of righteous, conscientious, persistent, daily mothering is far more lasting, far more powerful, far more influential than any earthly position or institution invented by man. She has the vision that, if worthy, she has the potential to be blessed as Rebekah of old to be 'the mother of thousands of millions' (Genesis 24:60)."

-- "A 'Mother Heart'," Ensign, May 2004, 76-77

Post Date: 17th Oct, 2005 - 3:56pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working?
A Friend

Mormon Sisters Working Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

This is one of my gf and I's favorite topics, she asked me if after we get married if she can get a job to help bring in extra income, I told her that I would expect her to bring in extra income until children state coming along, Then I would ask her to be a stay at home mom, but if it became necessary for her to go back to work to help with the finances, then by all means get at least a part-time job that way she can still spend time with our child.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Mormon Sisters Working?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,