Mormon Sisters Working? - Page 4 of 6

I worked when My oldest was young. I had gall - Page 4 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 5th Apr, 2006 - 3:54am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

?
Poll: Do you feel the mother of the home should work?
  Yes, I see nothing wrong with it       39.29%
  Yes, Only if it is absolutely necessary       50.00%
  Yes, but part-time only       0.00%
  Yes, if the husband wants it       0.00%
  No, a mother should be home       10.71%
  No, women should be home       0.00%
Total Votes: 28
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
The provider at home. Should the husband / father be the sole bread winner? Controversial Mormon Issue.
24th Feb, 2006 - 4:00am / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working? - Page 4

First, I did not vote, because no option actually summed up my feelings. One thing that I have been told recently in preparation for marriage is that she should be able to succeed and grow and achieve as much within our marriage bonds as she would have if she had never married. I am not to stifle her potential or "keep her down" in some way. Yes, mothers are essential in the home. However, if they are to be there, it must be by choice. Not force, not guilt. Also, although I expect that my wife-to-be will want to be home to take care of our children when that time comes, that does not preclude her achievement in other things at the same time. Fair enough, she probably will not be running a large corporation while nursing a baby, but she can develop her skills and her mind and achieve goals in community involvement and personal growth. A baby is not a ball and chain. A baby is a gift and a part of life, and life should not halt when a baby comes. For some mothers, a part-time job, perhaps one or two days per week, can help keep them sane. It breaks the monotony of domestic work. With a supportive husband, sometimes this is a good option.

The point is to pray about it and figure out the best solution for the individual situation. God's plan is not a cookie cutter, and we are not meant to fit into a rigid mold in our personalities or families. We are to keep the commandments and seek what God would have us do individually and as families.

Sponsored Links:
26th Feb, 2006 - 3:31am / Post ID: #

Working Sisters Mormon

For some mothers, a part-time job, perhaps one or two days per week, can help keep them sane. It breaks the monotony of domestic work. With a supportive husband, sometimes this is a good option.

I understand what you mean, but I could only see this as "realistic" if this mother has probably one kid to care for. What about mothers who have 5, 6, 7, 8 or more kids? I do not think in these instances is a matter of choice or whether she may feel guilty or not or whether she wants to stay at home or not.
The Prophets have counseled us that the place to be for a mother is at home, of course there are circumnstances where the woman must work such as economic situations or the case of a disabled spouse, but these are the exceptions, not the rule. If in the example given, what this wife is going through is just "monotony" of daily life and there is not really a need for her to get a job outside the home, then I do not think the solution is for her to get a part-time job but prayer, fasting and lots of communication with her spouse in dealing with the situation. Mothers go through a lot and as you put it, babies are part of life, therefore if there is no need to work outside the home, then the best possible job a mother can ever do is stay at home nurturing tha special tender soul that Heavenly Father have entrusted her.

26th Feb, 2006 - 7:24am / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I completely agree, as long as the choice to stay home is voluntary. If the man of the house forces his wife to stay home, the resentment and friction will mount, and the resulting environment may be unhealthy at best for the children. However, if both parents come together to decide on the choice, and they both look forward in the same direction, it is obviously the most ideal situation for the children and the parents.

26th Feb, 2006 - 11:32am / Post ID: #

Page 4 Working Sisters Mormon

QUOTE (Howe6079)
If the man of the house forces his wife to stay home, the resentment and friction will mount

Well, I guess the answer to this would be to discuss this issue before marriage, because I could not see having 5 or more kids and no mother at home to bring them up. Most children tend to be closely aged one after the other when the family is large. So there are many young ones that need mothering until they get into school. Yes, we could hire a nanny when she wants a break, or the husband take over when he is not at work, but to purposely leave this many children at home all day with someone else - I do not agree with it.

26th Feb, 2006 - 12:01pm / Post ID: #

Working Sisters Mormon

If the man of the house forces his wife to stay home, the resentment and friction will mount, and the resulting environment may be unhealthy at best for the children

If the man of the house forces his wife to do anything, then he is exercising unrighteous dominion and need to repent. I trust that in this kind of circumnstances as JB put it, the couple must have discussed and decided about it prior to marriage and both have agreed with the decision taken.

26th Feb, 2006 - 2:29pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working?

Something I learned when my children were born is that women don't always realize how powerful their feelings towards their children will be. Once the baby is born, most women are horrified to think of anyone caring for that baby but themselves! Placing our precious infants in daycare with a virtual stranger is tantamount to torture! I know that it ripped my heart out every single day to leave my babies.... But I had no choice. Luckily, I had very understanding employers, who knew I needed to be with my children as much as possible, which helped a lot with my conscience but was really no solution.

However, I do understand that the day in and day out with children can also be very difficult sometimes. I didn't have a lot of children, so I don't know what that's like. Having some kind of break or outlet for creativity or socializing is important, and working part time may fill that need. But there is absolutely no substitute for mothers caring for their own children in their own home.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Feb, 2006 - 10:00pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working - Page 4

Having some kind of break or outlet for creativity or socializing is important, and working part time may fill that need.

It may fill that need but what it is the most important thing? Filling that need and leaving your kids with someone else? or maybe look for other solutions with lots of fast and prayer that may enable the wife to stay home and nurture the children. God always prepares a way when he gives a commandment and I believe that if he does think that we, as women and mothers, should be at the home then I am sure he thought about the stress associated with raising children. I am not talking about single mothers who are also the providers, I am talking about a wife and a husband who should share equal responsibilities in rearing the children. If the wife needs a break (and we all need it!) then maybe a hobbie on weekends or after the husband comes from work should be the choice. Like I said, I think is all a matter of priorities, communication and equal partnership in marriage.

5th Apr, 2006 - 3:54am / Post ID: #

Mormon Sisters Working Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 4

I worked when My oldest was young. I had gall bladder disease and while out for surgury I prayed about going back to work. The day I returned to work I turned in my notice letting them know I will stay as long as they need to find a replacement. I only worked 1 week. Within one month I was pregnant with our second child. When she was 2 months old I went back to school and became a massage therapist. If any thing were to happen to my husband I will be able to support our two girls.
I do believe the mother should be at home but that is what free agency is about. My opinion should not matter it is between them and the lord. Some can not help it. Divorced, single. what ever the circumstance. We need to support these parents by baby sitting at a cheap rate or free. At least then they are in a good home. Having combined FHE events so that the single mothers have pristhood around. Be active VT's and HT's. They need to know they can count on us if they need something.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Mormon Sisters Working?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,