The History Of Hanukkah

The History Hanukkah - Studies of Judaism - Posted: 12th Dec, 2017 - 1:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Discuss  The History Hanukkah
Post Date: 8th Dec, 2005 - 3:13pm / Post ID: #

The History Of Hanukkah
A Friend

The History Of Hanukkah

In the spirit of the season, here is a brief history of one of the biggest celebrations in the Jewish faith, Hanukkah.

After a bitter war with the Greeks in 165 BCE, the Jews had to reclaim their defiled temple that had been converted to worship Zeus. A large celebration was planned. For the celebration, the Maccabees wanted to light the menorah. They looked everywhere for oil, and found a small flask that contained only enough oil to light the menorah for one day. Miraculously, the oil lasted for eight days. This gave them enough time to obtain new oil to keep the menorah lit. Today Jews celebrate Hanukkah for eight days by lighting candles in a menorah every night, thus commemorating the eight-day miracle.

Source

Hanukkah starts today and will last for the next eight. For more information on the holiday and the Jewish Faith, visit:
Source

I chose to keep this in the religious section because I would like to discuss its history in relation to the religious beliefs that surround it. The temple of G-d was made into a temple for Zeus by the Greeks and then reclaimed for G-d by the Jews despite the fact that they were out numbered and over match weapons wise. This holiday stems from a miraculous event in both the lighted menorah and the victory over the Greeks.

The History Of Hanukkah
The History Of Hanukkah (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 9th Dec, 2005 - 5:00am / Post ID: #

The History Of Hanukkah
A Friend

Hanukkah History The

Has anyone else considered that this is probably the most politically incorrect holiday there is? I mean this is a holiday celebrating insurrection, war, and murder.

Not that I mind *evil grin*

In the spirit of the season, here is a brief history of one of the biggest celebrations in the Jewish faith, Hanukkah.

While it is a very cool holiday, it is not supposed to be one of the biggest celebrations in the Jewish faith. It is a minor holiday. It is only extremely popular in the US because it's level of celebration has exploded out of competition with Christmas.

In fact, the extremist R. Kahane once wrote an essay called "Down with Hanukah", mocking the Reform, Reconstructionist, and Conservative movements because - with the exception of the strictest of the Conservatives - the holiday goes against everything they teach. You can read the essay at https://www.kahanetzadak.com/hanukah.html, if you're interested.

Reconcile Edited: deadhobbit on 9th Dec, 2005 - 5:07am

Post Date: 9th Dec, 2005 - 8:28pm / Post ID: #

The History Of Hanukkah
A Friend

The History Of Hanukkah Judaism Studies

Has anyone else considered that this is probably the most politically incorrect holiday there is? I mean this is a holiday celebrating insurrection, war, and murder

The uprising insurrection was against invading and occupying greeks who had violated their faith by turning their temples of G-d into temples of Zeus. I fail to see how this is politically incorrect. The celebration comes in that G-d sustained their lamp oil for 8 days, thus the eight days of celebration. Please explain your displeasure of this holiday further.

Post Date: 4th Dec, 2012 - 11:30pm / Post ID: #

Hanukkah History The

A Hidden Hanukkah Tale Of A Woman An Army And Some Killer Cheese
Religious Based News

Many Jewish families celebrate with foods such as latkes and donuts that are fried in oil, to honor a holiday miracle. But some Jews also eat dishes like blintzes and kugels that are made with cheese. How did cheese make it onto the menu? The story starts with a beautiful widow.
Source: Religion

Post Date: 12th Dec, 2017 - 1:48pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Hanukkah History The

Hanukkah 2017: What is the meaning behind this. Jewish festival and why is it ... The Independent
This is why Hanukkah is known as the festival of lights. Around 2,000 years on, Jewish… Source 5b.

> TOPIC: The History Of Hanukkah

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,