Mormons & The Trinity - Page 3 of 3

Why Mormons Are Not Christians? This theological - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 14th Sep, 2011 - 11:36pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
20th Jul, 2011 - 6:13pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & The Trinity - Page 3

international QUOTE
For example, the famous ETB quote about the Book of Mormon combating heresies such as evolution has been cut down to remove evolution form the list. The Church republished the 1909 statement in 2002 iirc which does not preclude evolution.

I know you can't post links yet but can you at least tell me where I can find the old quote and the new one? Thank you.

Rather off topic, but...
Brother Bcspace, you should upload an avatar so it doesn't get confused with the rest of the folks who don't have an avatar. Just a suggestion. smile.gif

Sponsored Links:
20th Jul, 2011 - 6:40pm / Post ID: #

Trinity and Mormons

I can't even simulate a link here such as using DOT COM...The filter is too intelligent or I am not sneaky enough.

The ETB quote which included evolution is as early as ....
Benson, New Era, May 1975, Jesus Christ-Gifts and Expectations

It has been removed by...
Benson, Ensign, December 1988, Jesus Christ-Gifts and Expectations

Robert Millet quotes the old version twice in articles in the 1990's.

It's interesting because the BoM actually lends support evolution by proposing a state of existence prior to the garden state (no death) in which the property of no death is not specified. This is 2 Nephi 2:22.

According to that verse, all things were created AND THEN placed into the garden state of death. Evolution can swim here according to my own hypothesis and one can still say there was no death before the Fall (but there was death before the garden state).

Rather off topic, but...
I don't seem to be able to upload an avatar yet and I have not been thrilled with the ones provided.

Reconcile Edited: bcspace on 20th Jul, 2011 - 6:41pm

20th Jul, 2011 - 6:41pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & The Trinity Studies Doctrine Mormon

Thank you. You are very close to 100 posts so in no time you will be able to post links. smile.gif I will take a look because I find it extremely interesting (if true) the change they made with regards to evolution. It will mean the Church truly isn't sure about the topic.

Rather off topic, but...
If you have any questions with your avatar, you can go in your intro thread and ask, they have a very fast support system on this site.

20th Jul, 2011 - 7:16pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Trinity and Mormons

I think the Church has been sure that it has no position on the matter since 1931. Regarding that debate, it's interesting that it was the older apostles who supported evolution and preAdamite races and the younger ones (like JFS) who opposed.

There were many who were influenced by JFS, including the young BRM. Now we have a generation or two who have been weaned on the non doctrinal works of "Mormon Doctrine" and "Man, His Origin and Destiny". So some of these generations who make it to GA, will sometimes insert anti evolutionary statements into articles and manuals.

But when it comes down to it, the Church leadership as a whole tends to remember 1931 and so such statements tend to get moderated to the point where it's obvious that the individual opposes evolution, but can't quite address it in that fashion. For example, a statement will get qualified with the fact that we don't really know doctrinally what the physical processes of creation were. Or some will (often ignorantly) address the atheist conclusion about evolution and not what evolution itself is or says.

You should also consider BRM's "Seven Deadly Heresies" speech which you can google. It's not officially doctrinal. But it's interesting because while BRM lists evolution as one of the heresies, he essentially admits that it could be okay to accept evolution if one can find a way to reconcile it with other doctrines. I believe I have done this for myself. But it's a complete turn around for BRM.

Reconcile Edited: bcspace on 20th Jul, 2011 - 7:22pm

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2011 - 8:25pm / Post ID: #

Trinity and Mormons

The subject of this Thread is Mormons & The Trinity, Members are advised to keep on Topic or their messages will be deleted.

Related Discussion to off topic can be found here: Source 1

Post Date: 14th Sep, 2011 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mormons & The Trinity

Why Mormons Are Not Christians?

This theological difference causes Mormons to be excluded from Christian gatherings and organizations - and impacts the willingness of people to vote for presidential candidates Mitt Romney or Jon Hunstman, who both belong to the LDS Church. Ref. Source 9

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormons & The Trinity

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,