Dungeons & Dragons (paper) - Page 3 of 3

I agree and identify with Oliron here, as - Page 3 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 25th Jan, 2010 - 11:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

14th May 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Fighter
Fighter
Paladin
Paladin
Barbarian
Barbarian
Ranger
Ranger
Draconian
Draconian
Cleric
Cleric
Rogue
Rogue
Wizard
Wizard
Warlock
Warlock

+  1 2 3 
Also:Dungeons & Dragons or Dungeons & Dragons as it is popularly known.
21st Jan, 2006 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons (paper) - Page 3

My first game was with my mom and brother. Ever since I have been playing many variations of a sort of d n d. All of the roleplaying games are all based from d n d. Like truthseekers very well said explanation all of it is results from states and is limited by the player or users imagination. Of course the d m is the rule maker and is not limited to the monsters in the book or classes or races either but it is just a guideline to go by. I myself have made a few of my own races and classes and variations of some classes but they're still based off the originals. My favorite depiction of the d n d system utilized in computer is elder scrolls 3 morrowind although the a I is kind of cheesy it is still a good depiction of d n d. their are other good ones as well like baulder's gate and also dungeon seige. From my first game to my previous ones I have been hooked to the game and it is a good way to express yourself imaginatively. Enjoy your imaginations extent.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 8th Oct, 2006 - 12:27pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons (paper)
A Friend

paper Dragons and Dungeons

I find that my laptop, is the ultimate dungeon masters screen. I have all of my campaigns on there ( about 40) I have automatic dice rollers, dungeon makers, npc makers, name makers and even a tool that creates the food menu items on the random taverns my players enter. I can create any scenario in a matter of seconds, so my players never have to wait on me if they stumble on to something that I was'nt expecting

1st May, 2008 - 7:22pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons (paper) Reviews RPG & Card Board

I was introduced to this by chance, but I have not actually sat down to play a game with anyone. I know what I know from reading alot.

Post Date: 2nd May, 2008 - 3:01pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 3 paper Dragons and Dungeons

I started playing this game back in 1981 with a bunch of people. Later a few of us broke off and we became a tight knitted group. I owe all my good natureness to these people. They will always be in my heart and in my memory

Post Date: 4th May, 2008 - 12:12am / Post ID: #

A Friend

paper Dragons and Dungeons

I had some friends who played D&D but I always thought it was dumb because my parents said it was evil and witchcraft and blah blah, then about 6 years ago my friends convinced me to play a game and it was most fun I've ever had sitting at a table. I've been in at least one D&D game ever since, and I often run one myself. I'm even going to GenCon this year. Though my parents still disapprove I've at least explained to them more of what it is and they don't think I'm a devil worshipper.

4th May, 2008 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

You have some old fashioned parents huh? You got to do like me and just keep your fun time activities as "reading" and "fantasy story group talk" rather than talking about rolling dice and monsters.

Rather off topic, but...
Its cool that you have some experience, it should come in handy in the game.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Jan, 2010 - 6:25pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons paper - Page 3

DnD changed my life, in that it gave me something in common with other people. It gave us a reason to sit around and actually interact with one another in a fun enviroment. This also gave me an outlet for my creative thoughts.

I hope people understand this aspect of the game and not just the negative idea that it is a gate to devil worshiping or whatever.

25th Jan, 2010 - 11:00pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons paper Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 3

I agree and identify with Oliron here, as I credit roleplaying games in general, and D&D as "the gateway drug" as my friends ironically refer to it - I'd also like to point out that it's true MOST RPGs since then have been inspired by D&D, there were at least two other RPGs out around the same time, with different systems, one fantasy and one sci-fi, and there may have been more, which were developed independent of Chainmail/D&D.

I liked the original redbox D&D though I couldn't understand it for a couple of years and was 15 or so, and had to get my mom's help to grasp some of the words and concepts - but after playing 2nd Ed. AD&D which improved and expanded on a lot of concepts, adding new factors and rules, I have to say AD&D was kind of a step sideways - not necessarily backward, but it began what I feel was the snowball effect, of piling more and more rules onto the eventually buckling framework of the existing system, until D&D 3.5 practically collapsed under the weight of it all, and fourth edition had to be completely overhauled, keeping only the basics of the original system, and some certain aspects from all the other editions.

Unfortunately, one of the things they kept and focused on was the tactical board-game aspect, which I understand to interest more main-stream people to play, but which I detest, even though that's how the original game worked - but also the voluminous "Feats" and skills, some of which are so academic and common sense that it raises my hackles every time I see an example of something so stupid it makes me want to throttle somebody, like when the GM says "Your attempt to tumble into the room is at -6 because you don't have the 'Tumbling' Feat". BS! The AD&D I played was still recognizable and familiar, if dressed up differently, but with each successive release, it got further and further away from the improvisational and cinematic style of being able to play "epic" characters - and instead relegated characters to near-zero-level longer than the game claimed - even at third to fourth level, you're really still jut cannon fodder for any solid monster or even challenge or skill check.

I almost wish for the original D&D again, and a lot of people feel that way and have released their own open-source type of game, some free, some for a low charge, in a bid to recapture some of the nostalgic feel of play. I think even Wizard of the Coast did, or was thinking about, also releasing a pared down version, which I'd recommend.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons (paper)

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,