Dungeons & Dragons (paper) - Page 2 of 3

QUOTE (Elric @ 15-Apr 05, 10:07 AM) DnD is - Page 2 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 20th Jan, 2006 - 11:02am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

14th May 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Cleric
Cleric
Ranger
Ranger
Wizard
Wizard
Fighter
Fighter
Barbarian
Barbarian
Rogue
Rogue
Paladin
Paladin
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock

+  1 2 3 
Also:Dungeons & Dragons or Dungeons & Dragons as it is popularly known.
19th May, 2005 - 10:38am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons (paper) - Page 2

Whenever I went to salt Lake city as a teenager my cousins who went to Granite High were so into it and we never had any fancy game boards or anything it was just a bit of lined paper each and a pencil. That's how I learned to play and then when I was at University there was acutally a student club for everyone to participate!

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 28th Jun, 2005 - 9:09pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons (paper)
A Friend

paper Dragons and Dungeons

I've heard of D&D frequently yet I have not participated in one single game. Hard to believe since I am a big fan of role play in a medieval/fantasy setting. I will look into it.
I assume its a great deal more social than the computer games of RPGs but limited to your own imagination. Could anyone share some of their experience to help me set up a good gaming group or maybe just with a friend.

By the way, what does the A stand for in AD&D

28th Jun, 2005 - 9:55pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons (paper) Reviews RPG & Card Board

A=Advanced. There are a lot of rules and modifiers in the Advanced setting so if you like to know things that are based on stats an detail then Advanced D&D is for you. If you are more interested in the imaginitive side then stick with regular old D&D. If you want to experience what D&D might be like then just join our in-house RPG called, 'World of Medieval'. It is not based on D&D (it is custom built), but I have been an AD&D GM for many years. The only difference in Medieval is there no such thing as 'party leader', because in live group settings everyone can make their own decisions and I let a computer make all the roles normally made with dice. AD&D is very established in most areas and all you have to do is look for a local community group through either the net, papers or local RPG shop (they usually sell comics too).

Post Date: 28th Jun, 2005 - 11:15pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 paper Dragons and Dungeons

Don't even get me started on RPGs! Haha, no I'm just kidding. I learned to RP with other people on the internet, (Just typing up a character profile and interacting in a whole bunch of different situations) but I have become more and more interested in the idea of just buying the board game and getting a bunch of my friends together to play. Most will condemn me as unbearably geeky, but luckily I make up for it with looks and charisma! Aah, to be a Geek trapped in a popular persons body. No offence to D&D lovers! I love RPGs!

But yeah, what do you suggest I pick up for just getting started?

28th Jun, 2005 - 11:19pm / Post ID: #

paper Dragons and Dungeons

I do not know if they make the basic set still, if so I would get that. It comes with two manuals and a couple of dice. The instructions are very easy so in no time at all you can be RPGing. If they do not make it I am sure you can order it on Ebay.

29th Jun, 2005 - 1:09am / Post ID: #

In order to play AD&D, you have to have access to at least the basic Player's Handbook. D&D doesn't exist anymore, and you would have an incredibly difficult time finding anyone who would be willing to play it.

Do as JB said, find a comic book store, or a store devoted to such things as Anime or games in general. If you ask the people at these types of stores, they will be able to guide you to a local gaming group.

You can also look around at any college, and you will surely find flyers about D&D games going on.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Jun, 2005 - 2:58am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons paper - Page 2

I belive that more teachers should take advantage of games like AD&D in the english classrooms to promote creativity and teach the lenier line of thought one neads when creating a story or an adventure. And hey it wold be alot more fun then reading to kill a mokinbird.

Post Date: 20th Jan, 2006 - 11:02am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons paper Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 2

QUOTE (Elric @ 15-Apr 05, 10:07 AM)
DnD is lots of fun I reccomend that you try it with your friends. It does require a huge commitment of time however, smile.gif but what else do you have to do?

I'm the truthseeker (the player who's played for 28+ years;) nice to meet all of you!
Here's a refresher or intro primer on 3.5 D&D

D&D simply put, as a combination of character-generated statistics and acting by the player. It used several books mentioned before as well as a myriad of optional books.

Advanced D&D gaming systems or 2nd edition, ended several years ago at the intro if the game's 3'rd edition. It's now using an update dor 3.5 version of that system, also called a d20 system. Players still play older editions though.

By either using a set amount of points or random multiple six-sided dice the player creates statistics or "stats" from around 3-18 points per stat. This covers Strength Intelligence Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, and Charisma.

These stats give you positive or negative modifiers (a base being 10, higher or lower is a positive or negative modifier) to all things like combat, defense, spells, skills (professions and aptitude-based abilities you normally spent creation and level-up points for,) and many other things.

The ability to take hits or hit points is linked to the class. Higher fighting classes roll bigger dice to make more hit points, while other skilled get fewer points or pips per die. Like stats, these rolls are random or may be point-assigned.

The game also allows you to select some character-altering abilities called feats. This means that characters can focus on specializing they abilities or take a different path than their class (such as a fighter who is intelligent and uses that ability to qualify for better defense based on buying ab ability if they have a minimum intelligence, or a spellcaster normally not wearing armor buying the ability to wear armor without movement and attack penalty.)

Your abilities are shaped by choosing a class. Fighters wizards clerics bards paladins rangers monks rogues and more are all available. If you focus in certain ability scores, skills and feats, you can even take special ability classes (sort of like kits in the older ed) called Prestige Classes. A character turning partially into a dragon, a caster of both cleric and wizard spells advancing faster than those who study both classes alone, and blackguards (the opposite of a paladin) are just a few examples.

Unlike the older systems, there are no minimum stats or maximum levels of classes or characters, An orc may be a wizard and a halfling can advance as high in a class as any other race.

Of course, certain races favor certain abilities, and there are options to adapt multiple classes

And of course there is magic.
Some classes can use it, others don't, and some prestige classes allow other classes with no magic to augment their abilities with some.

Magic is based on either divinity magic (god-based or faith based for the characters who focus on ideals over gods) or arcane (studying over books, or based on the natural world being altered by study or specific methods done by force of will [non-faith based.] The better your ability in a classes' stat linked to their magic, the more you can cast and the harder it is to resist.

Resistance to spells is called saving throws, now based on three areas: endurance (Fortitude) nimbleness (Reflex) and strength of self-awareness (Will). There are improved or penalized based on your Constitution, Dexterity and Wisdom respectively.

Once a person creates both their characters abilities and makes up a history, the abilities are checked by rolling dice of different sizes. The most common one used is a 20-sided or d20. D-the number of sides is how dice are referred (d6 d4 etc.) These dice are called polyhedron. While the 20 and 6 sided dice are used the most, all other dice may be rolled for many things.

That's a good start. There is something called the SRD or system reference document for non copyrighted explanation of this system
www.d20srd.org

I hope that helped!

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons (paper)

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,