Magic - Magick 101 - Page 4 of 5

QUOTE (arthyr)and about this karma thing...I'll - Page 4 - Studies of Dreams, Mystics, Paranormal - Posted: 14th Mar, 2005 - 4:41pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
An illusion, a connection or a scam?
Post Date: 19th Aug, 2004 - 5:22pm / Post ID: #

Magic - Magick 101
A Friend

Magic - Magick 101 - Page 4

QUOTE (dragongoddss @ 18-Aug 04, 9:00 PM)
Spells and karma really have nothing to do with chance or luck.

arthyr, you speak of "power" as if we Pagans are in the movies. You speak as if us Pagans have some magical power. We don't.

but karma is basically luck...if you have good karma, then you have good luck...bad karma = bad luck...so in reality, it's all the same.

i know you guys aren't in the movies...just to clarify... tongue.gif and i know that you guys don't have any magical power. so if you guys don't have magical powers, how do you cast spells?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 19th Aug, 2004 - 5:53pm / Post ID: #

Magic - Magick 101
A Friend

Magick Magic

I'm sorry did I confuse you. I should of hit enter after my first sentience. The rest were examples of magick. Wishes and prayers are not the same thing.

I think words were messed up when the bible was translated into more modern languages. Like I remember the bible verse. "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live". I think the word was more closer to the word "trader" not witch when translated. But king James had made the decision that if he worded it that way he could use the bible as excuse to kill witches. Witches back then were like midwives & doctors that still had pagan gods. It was a way to scare them into Christianity.

By the way I understand the Christian religion quite well. See I was one when I was a child until my early teens.

Voodoo and North American Indian religions are concerted pagan religions.

Most modern day Pagans don't use drugs. First it's illegal, and second it pollutes the body.

Post Date: 23rd Aug, 2004 - 4:52pm / Post ID: #

Magic - Magick 101
A Friend

Magic - Magick 101 Paranormal & Mystics Dreams Studies

actually, the King James version of the Bible is the closest version to the Greek version of the Bible as far as word for word translations, so i think you'd be mistaken on that point. and don't bother trying to change the word of the Bible. I don't believe it meant "trader" rather than witch. besides, King James wasn't that biased against witches to change a word in the Bible to just scare them into Christianity. If he wanted to scare them, he could have used soooo many different options that would have worked equally, if not better than "changing a word in the Bible".

witches back then were more like people who casted "spells" on people and pretended to be able to use 'magic'. the only "doctor" they were, were for Indians known as 'witch doctors'. they weren't trusted back then.

Post Date: 24th Aug, 2004 - 4:54pm / Post ID: #

Magic - Magick 101
A Friend

Page 4 Magick Magic

QUOTE (arthyr @ 19-Aug 04, 11:22 AM)
but karma is basically luck...if you have good karma, then you have good luck...bad karma = bad luck...so in reality, it's all the same.

I'm sorry, but karma has nothing to do with luck.

The theory of karma harps on the principle that every action produces an equal and opposite reaction. Every time we think or do something, we create a cause, which in time will bear its corresponding effects.

Every person is responsible for his or her acts and thoughts, so each person's karma is entirely his or her own.

See it has nothing to do with luck. It has to do with our own actions, and what comes from our actions.

In my last post... I learned that bible stuff from a friend who studies the bible for a living. He can even read the old texts.

Indian (Native American) doctors are not called "witch doctors". They are called Shaman. They were/are very respected wise people.

There are "witch doctors" in Africa, but I don't know much about them.

Reconcile Edited: dragongoddss on 24th Aug, 2004 - 4:59pm

Post Date: 24th Aug, 2004 - 6:32pm / Post ID: #

Magic - Magick 101
A Friend

Magick Magic

witch doctors i believe were more like 'medicine men' where they'd use their prayers and herbs to heal the sick just fyi.

shaman and witch doctors, close enough...in some tribes they were called witch doctors though..for reals...

and about this karma thing...i'll find an example for you that says that karma is just the 'luck of the draw' so to speak. that's where i got my definition from. but it's on my computer at home, and i'm currently at work (on lunch break, so i'm not ripping anyone off laugh.gif ) but if you look it up, a synonym for karma is luck, and since synonyms mean same meaning, just different word, that would mean that one definition of karma means luck.

Post Date: 20th Sep, 2004 - 2:40am / Post ID: #

Magic - Magick 101
A Friend

Magic - Magick 101

Depends on the where it's from. The definition I use a lot refers to RPGs and games. I am aware of the one that some Christians, in general, tends to refer to stuff from the Bible in regards to something of the devil.

On that note, I'd like to point out something interesting. If you notice the whole story relating to Moses, you hear about two people that work for the pharoh that used magic (or whatever you want to call it). The point of interest is that that and God's power could be compared in some instances. However, God's power, used through Moses' hand, was infinately more powerful, where as the pharoh's servants was more like a shadow of that. An illusion. At least that's all I can remember from reading that section of the book... and watching a certain animated movie. =P I'm sure it matched the book on some accounts in that regard. wink.gif

The point in mentioning that is it kinda adds a little question about the afterlife. What is this power that God has? Whatever it is, it seems others may have had it, and perhaps lost it a bit. That makes you start to think a little.

Reconcile Edited: Talduras on 20th Sep, 2004 - 2:40am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 14th Mar, 2005 - 9:40am / Post ID: #

Magic - Magick 101
A Friend

Magic Magick 101 - Page 4

First off, magic that has any real power or authority is only found in fairy tales and stories that are long gone. They come from myth and legend from a people less civilized and without explanation for what happened.

Second, the statement about the king james being the closest translation to Greek is an uneducated statement to say the least. Translations have come so far from then, we now know there are bad translations in the KJV Bible and have corrected them. Also, where there were missing, smudge, or different translation, King James order that it should be translated in the fashion that was already believed by the common church, opposed to finding out what the real translation was.

I have a sister in law that practices magic, she always thinks her magic is doing something. When good happens, she attributes it to magic, when it doesn't come true, she makes up a reason why. People who pray do the same, if wish comes true, it was God, if it doesn't, then it wasn't Gods will. Its all cause and effect, no one, or nothing is causing good or bad to happen.

Post Date: 14th Mar, 2005 - 4:41pm / Post ID: #

Magic - Magick 101
A Friend

Magic Magick 101 Studies Dreams Mystics & Paranormal - Page 4

QUOTE (arthyr)
and about this karma thing...I'll find an example for you that says that karma is just the 'luck of the draw' so to speak. that's where I got my definition from. but it's on my computer at home, and I'm currently at work (on lunch break, so I'm not ripping anyone off  ) but if you look it up, a synonym for karma is luck, and since synonyms mean same meaning, just different word, that would mean that one definition of karma means luck.

Ummm, arthyr, it sounds like you are talking about two different concepts, and calling it by the same name. This happens a lot in english, for example, a club is a social gathering, it is also a blunt trauma weapon. So you can both be talking about a club, but be talking about two different things. Here you happen to be talking about two different meanings for the word karma. I would reiterate what has been said before, karma has nothing to do with luck. A person who goes around doing bad deeds can have good luck, but that same person can not have good karma. So they are different concepts. Sometimes confused people will call good luck good karma, or bad luck bad karma, but they aren't the same.

As for magic, I believe that there are definitely powers and energies that we are completely unaware of. It just makes sense from a scientific standpoint. Three hundred years ago, many of the things we do with science would be considered magic. Perhaps there are scientific principles that people who use magic have stumbled upon that we don't understand yet.

I believe it's the same for religion, was Jesus doing magic when he multiplied the fishes and loaves? No, he was exercising a scientific principle. I think everything is science, just some science has been accepted by the scientific community and some hasn't.

That said, I don't believe that all people who profess to do 'magic' are real, there are a lot of phoney's out there.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Magic - Magick 101

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,