Anti-American? - Page 4 of 6

As an aside to the issue of anti-Americanism, - Page 4 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 7th May, 2004 - 5:13pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
AntiAmerican
The difference between stating your view and being an Anti-American
Post Date: 5th May, 2004 - 7:39pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American?
A Friend

Anti-American? - Page 4

offcourse we are people at the end its just that its not a fair pleace, earth, i mean in africa all these people are dying !! and hungry where as in here in britain people eat alot and have lots opf luxries (including me)

Sponsored Links:
5th May, 2004 - 10:06pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American

QUOTE (Yhayatli @ 5-May 04, 3:22 PM)
iran never used WMD's and niether did syria!

I apologize about Iran. I thought they had used chemical weapons in the Iran - Iraq war.

Chemical weapons shipped out of Syria were about to be used in Jordan last week. Whether they were Syrian or Iraqi makes little difference, as Syria is a major supporter of the terrorists who were about to use the WMDs ON MUSLIMS!

plz dont think i hate american people, its the goverment

The problem with this is that the government reflects the people in the US, and the overwhelming majority of the American people fully support the actions in Afghanistan and Iraq.

At the same time, I sympathize with your sentiments, as I certainly don't hold any hatred for the Saudis, the Iraqis, or the Iranians. Yet I detest the Saudi government after spending time there, I detested the Iraqi government, and I would love to see the mullahs in Iran spend a lot of time inside their own prisons.

However, I also don't believe that those governments reflect the will of the people, unless the people really like being under oppressive dictatorships.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

5th May, 2004 - 10:14pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American? History & Civil Business Politics

Syria, and not Syria alone, is an intermmediary. China and Russia, and yes the US, often work through other countries to buffer their own interests.

African activities lately are very revealing in terms of how the powers of the world work together often fro a common evil.

But the powers of the world are not the people, and not always the true spirit of those lands, but those who hold the power act accoring to their agendas.

Dubhdara.

International Level: Junior Politician / Political Participation: 100 ActivistPoliticianJunior Politician 10%

6th May, 2004 - 3:40am / Post ID: #

Page 4 Anti-American

I challenge you to read the article I referenced earlier today, and then tell me that it really isn't because you envy us and want to take us down for not being the same as you.

This statement really bothers me. It is not the first time I heard it from a US citizen and it bothers me a lot because some of us really love our countries and where we come from and we have no need to envy nobody and to put anybody down. I think that statement is wrong, very wrong. Just because a country or person do not agree with certain policies of the US it doesn't mean they envy the US smile.gif-->rolleyes.gif you talk about the US culture, I don't know what do you exactly mean by that, since as we discuss before the US is a land who was brought up by foreigners.
I think it is very childish to think that just because somebody do not agree with something it means they envy you.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

6th May, 2004 - 11:16am / Post ID: #

Anti-American

Did you read the article? Did you get the context I was speaking from?

I certainly don't mean to sound like I think people don't love their homes or their countries.

The pure and simple fact is that in the present world, the United States has provided the vast majority of all science and technological advances, and has produced much of the world's wealth. Even now, with the euro trying to supplant the dollar as the world's primary currency, the dollar is still the measure of wealth throughout the world.

Because of these things, and the fact that the very realistic, materialistic worldview of most of the US has created these conditions in opposition to the absolutely idealistic views of Islamism and European elitism, people who subscribe to the opposing worldviews DO envy and hate the US.

Again, without the background of the article I referenced, it is easy to misunderstand my words.

Islamic hatred for the US is rooted in the fact that no Islamic based country or culture has seen significant progress in hundreds of years. Many within those cultures feel that the US has "stolen" their birthrites, the cultural advancements, the science, the mathematics, the technology that have all brought wealth and prosperity. Europe sees their own economies ever more sluggish, their technologies copied and/or stolen from the US (and related countries such as Australia and Britain), and wonder why their mature, advanced culture can't come up with a lot of innovation, never understanding that their very worldview prohibits it.

I find it to be very true that Europe wants the US and Islamist cultures to wear each other out, so that Europe can pick up the pieces. The US couldn't care less, as our culture looks at what is, and what works, and moves on from there.

These different worldviews really do breed envy and distrust. Just look at all the statements about President Bush and his administration. ALL of them are based on the assumption that he is making his decisions based on deeply hidden agendas. Almost all of the criticism includes such statements as, "it is all about the oil," or, "Bush lied about the WMDs." They are based on distrust of the US, never mind that the US, for the most part, is the most open and straightforward government and culture in the world.

So, I stand by my statement that there is a lot of envy and distrust involved in the anti-american stance. Just because I love my own home doesn't mean I don't envy someone else's.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

6th May, 2004 - 9:04pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American?

Yes, I read the article and I understand what you mean and agree with some but to be honest as I said before it bothers me when the speech of envy comes in because I don't see that way, I think that some countries dislike the US for different reasons. We cannot put everybody in the same bag. For instance, I would like to enjoy the benefits of education and facilities that the US has but it doesn't mean I envy them or will try to put it down just because I don't have it, of course this is my personal opinion. To be quiet honest I never had a problem with envy therefore it is hard for me to understand that a country will put another country down just because of envy. I think it is more because the US is one of the leaders countries in the world, so whatever they do, it affects us (economically specially).

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
7th May, 2004 - 9:15am / Post ID: #

Anti-American - Page 4

The article doesn't certainly doesn't apply to most individuals. It applies to mindsets. There are individuals who fully embrace each of the mindsets. Other than that, the particular mindsets do influence most individuals, as they permeate the cultures.

You may not be susceptible to the envy, but it is certainly evident among many others, particularly in the Middle East, where many Arabs and Africans complain that they don't understand why Americans enjoy so much freedom and prosperity, and wonder why their countries with much greater history, don't.

7th May, 2004 - 5:13pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American Politics Business Civil & History - Page 4

As an aside to the issue of anti-Americanism, I came across an interesting piece, again in the OpinionJournal about how there is no longer an "official" voice for the US government.

The reality is that all of the media is now "spin". Present things in the best possible light, for your side. But there isn't any official organ to present the spin FOR the US. US and world media certainly won't do it. When the President or any other official attempts to spin things, the media calls them on it and spins it the opposite way.

Therefore, most people, who only hear the news from the media side of it, have a very different view of the US than those who either:
a) disbelieve anything the media has to say
cool.gif use other sources to get information
c) have such a strong opinion on things that they won't be spun
d) are completely apathetic

Very interesting point of view, especially about propaganda. The US isn't doing a good job of propaganda, while the other side is. Not a good idea.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Anti-American?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,