Anti-American? - Page 2 of 6

Can I voice my opinion too? I definitely do - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 1st May, 2004 - 6:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
AntiAmerican
The difference between stating your view and being an Anti-American
13th Apr, 2004 - 5:00pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American? - Page 2

What I am saying though is if all you ever express is negative then how can one come up with any other conclusion?

I'm surprised you are saying this because is obvious in my opinion than when we are discussing issues such as 'wars' no matter which countries are involved, there must be a side that gives a strong opposition about it. Most of the US threads in the forum are VERY controversial, and there is a division between Americans Citizens and their feelings about this whole involvment of the US in other nations. Are they labeled as Anti-American too when they open their mouths and said that they do not think that what the US government is doing is right?. I think they do and I think it is very sad.

As you must have seen, even when a thread has nothing to do at all with the US or it's foreign policy, people feel free to bring criticism from other threads into the discussion in order to further criticize the US. This happened very recently on this forum.

I think it happened only once and it was well dealed with. In any cases, there are plenty threads like the Israel-Palestine issue where we talk also about the US because the US is involved directly or indirectly in that issue, just like the US is involved in other conflict areas.

Also, I have seen a number of people who refuse to see any good when it is pointed out. When a complaint is leveled and a valid explanation is offered, most of what I have seen is people just ignore the explanation and go on and on about how bad the US is.

It seems to me you're trying to change the mind of people, the way they see the United States and that's not possible. They have the right to refuse to see whatever they want (even if it is the dumbest thing to do). And I think part of your frustation it is because they refuse to see a point that you're trying to make but really, when people make their minds there is nothing much than you can do. We can disagree without being disagreable.

For example, all the time the US is criticized for intervention in certain threads. Then in others, the US is criticized for not intervening.

You're missing the point. The US is critized when they interven in a matter when they do it ONLY when US interests are being affected. Now, personally I have NO problem whatsoever with that because that's common sense but what get my nerves is when the REASON they said it is is to save the world from terrorism...now, I don't buy it. A good example is Iraq right now, a week or two after September 11th, Bush called Blair to ask for support in bombing Iraq. You see what I mean?, that's the REAL reason behind what's going on in Iraq and the SECOND reason may be to get rid of a monster and help the Iraqi people but when they said it is because of the Second reason, then it makes me mad. Look at Afghanistan for instance, US past governments have even helped to train guys like Bin Laden, suddenly after September 11th, the US decided go after him and 'help the people in Afghanistan'. Huh? how long have the Taliban being there and the women with no rights whatsoever and they now know about it?. My point is simple: US interests are being threaten and the US decides to act....fine.....but do not come with all kind of explanantions about why you're doing it, just say the truth!.

I am not talking about the people in the US who refer to those who oppose the war as anti-american. I think that label is wrong and goes directly against everything this country is supposed to represent. I think everyone has a right to express their opinion and disagree, however, if every opinion someone holds about the US is anti, how are they not anti-american. That is what I have seen from a number of members on this forum.

It seems to me that you separate those Americans who oppose the war and those non-Americans who think the same way....and it seems to me (please telll me if I am wrong) that they(US citizens) have the right to disagree and not labeled as Anti-Americans but you don't think the same way about foreigners talking or disagreeing about the US.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
13th Apr, 2004 - 6:08pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American

It seems to me that you separate those Americans who oppose the war and those non-Americans who think the same way....and it seems to me (please telll me if I am wrong) that they(US citizens) have the right to disagree and not labeled as Anti-Americans but you don't think the same way about foreigners talking or disagreeing about the US.

As I have tried to say twice already, this is not what I am saying. I am NOT saying if you disagree with the US policy on war that makes you anti-american, whether you are from the US or elsewhere. What I AM saying is if you disagree with everything the US does, whether you are from the US or elsewhere, THEN, in my opinion you ARE anti-american.

I also don't really think it matters one way or the other to me. I still like the majority of the people on this forum whether or not we agree. smile.gif However. I choose not to post in threads if I don't think there is a possibility of an open discussion. I try to keep my mind open as well. I simply would like to see the same from others.

It seems to me you're trying to change the mind of people, the way they see the United States and that's not possible. They have the right to refuse to see whatever they want (even if it is the dumbest thing to do). And I think part of your frustation it is because they refuse to see a point that you're trying to make but really, when people make their minds there is nothing much than you can do. We can disagree without being disagreable.

This is true, but if people aren't keeping an open mind in their discussions then what is the point to the discussion? I mean this from both sides. There have been several threads where I began the discussion with one opinion and after discussing my views and considering the views of others, I have changed my mind. To me that is the point to a discussion. I don't see much of this from anyone in any topic where the US is being criticized, so for me, there is no point to participating in that discussion.

I really don't want this thread to become me against everyone else so, I think I will probably leave it at this and just read what others have to say.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 13th Apr, 2004 - 6:18pm

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

13th Apr, 2004 - 6:18pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American? History & Civil Business Politics

As I have said twice already, this is not what I am saying. I am NOT saying if you disagree with the US policy on war that makes you anti-american, whether you are from the US or elsewhere. What I AM saying is if you disagree with everything the US does, whether you are from the US or elsewhere, THEN, in my opinion you ARE anti-american.

But then this is a very unfair statement because how could you possible say that some members hold anti-americans opinions based on a couple of issues discussed?.

This is true, but if people aren't keeping an open mind in their discussions then what is the point to the discussion? I mean this from both sides. There have been several threads where I began the discussion with one opinion and after discussing my views and considering the views of others, I have changed my mind. To me that is the point to a discussion. I don't see much of this from anyone in any topic where the US is being criticized, so for me, there is no point to participating in that discussion.

Again, you're expecting the people to react in the same way you do and that's not possible in real terms.

I really don't want this thread to become me against everyone else so, I think I will probably leave it at this and just read what others have to say.

We are just trying to understand each other. I enjoy a lot your posts and I appreciate you as a person and as a member of our forum.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

13th Apr, 2004 - 6:22pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Anti-American

O.K. This will be my final post on this topic. Really biggrin.gif

Let me reword it. I do not think the people on this forum are anti-american. O.K. I think many of the posts appear to be anti-american to me.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

13th Apr, 2004 - 6:46pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American

What I AM saying is if you disagree with everything the US does, whether you are from the US or elsewhere, THEN, in my opinion you ARE anti-american.

In my opinion and by this definition, no one on this forum is anti-American (which really should be worded as 'Anti-USA' since America is a big place) since the only discussion in which strong opposition is expressed is based on war threads mostly. For us to cover everything the US does would be quite a formidable task so basically a person would have to join and actually state they are anti-USA for us to truly know it, but even if that were true, for someone to come on here with that position, they would be walking a tight rope because there should be no disrespect shown. Lastly, and this is in my opinion as a person who has lived in a few places... there is a lot of disagreement mostly on the US' foreign policy more than the way it treats its own citizens (internal affairs) and why is that... because their foreign policy affects the rest of the world so opposition is to be expected not to be a surprise.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

13th Apr, 2004 - 10:23pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American?

Yes, I agree that the term would be more correctly anti-USA, but anti-american is the term most commonly used to refer to anti-USA.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 13th Apr, 2004 - 10:24pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
13th Apr, 2004 - 10:43pm / Post ID: #

Anti-American - Page 2

Hey, I thought you were done with this topic? laugh.gif Yes, it is a common mistake to use the word/name 'America' to mean just the USA, but that really gets the other countries that make up part of America angry... I have made that mistake in Argentina and Venezuela before wink.gif and learned well from it. I believe I talked about this at length in the Bin Laden - Friend or Foe thread (beginning messages).

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 1st May, 2004 - 6:18am / Post ID: #

Anti-American?
A Friend

Anti-American Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Can I voice my opinion too? I definitely do NOT consider myself anti-American or anti-USA. But I do find myself having rather strong views on some of the policies of the Bush Administration. If I have to be an 'anti-' something, perhaps that makes me more of an anti-Bush Administration person? And people may say I have no right to be critical of him because I am not an American citizen, but then, everything the US leader does, touches every corner of the world.

And if I say that your previous president (although he may be quite a rascal to some) had better foreign relations policies, that does not mean I am a 'Democrat' either. I see some of the American members here are more of a Republican or Bush supporter rather than a independent-thinking citizen looking at different angles of the issue. Their opinions expressed are more bipartisan than other members form outside the US. So, I venture to think that if the new Administration is not from the Republican party, then maybe their posts here may even be more critical of the president than those of other nationalities.

Its not a matter of anti-American as far as I am concerned, but just an expression of our thoughts on a particular issue. And like LDS pointed out the threads in the International Forum are rather controversial too. But all the opinions expressed makes interesting reading.

Peace!

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Anti-American?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,