Hypnosis - Page 2 of 4

I've been researching self-hypnosis - Page 2 - Studies of Dreams, Mystics, Paranormal - Posted: 19th Apr, 2007 - 4:11am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 

?
Poll: Do you believe Hypnosis works to overcome mental challenges?
  Yes       72.73%
  No       9.09%
  Unsure       18.18%
Total Votes: 11
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
  Hypnosis
Post Date: 10th Jun, 2004 - 9:14pm / Post ID: #

Hypnosis
A Friend

Hypnosis - Page 2

I had a friend who underwent hypnosis in a stage show. He described it like being in a dream. The hypnotist would describe something, and it would be real for him. So I think you're right about not being able to make someone do something completely out of character, I mean, there are things I wont even do in dreams, but I still do some pretty wild stuff in dreams. So it could be frightening what they might be able to get you to do.

Sponsored Links:
29th Oct, 2004 - 1:35am / Post ID: #

Hypnosis

I think everyone can be hypnotized if it's done by a professional. The human mind is very weak and can be manipulated very easily. Did you know, for example, that many of the people who die from a few gun shots, could have lived had they only believed in that?

If you stand on top of a cliff and say to yourself "Oh, no. I'm gonna fall, I'm gonna fall" Most chances are that you will. Same with tests. If you come with an attitude of "aww, I'm gonna fail", no matter how much you've studied, your results are gonna be drastically different from the opposite case. That's why it's important for Sports that you have no doubt about your victory.

This proves how the mind can manipulate itself. It is nothing, though, compared to how others can manipulate it.

Post Date: 25th Jan, 2005 - 7:26pm / Post ID: #

Hypnosis
A Friend

Hypnosis Paranormal & Mystics Dreams Studies

Very interesting topic. My parents took me to be hypnotized for weight loss (many years ago) and it was not very successful. I don't think anyone who does not want to be hypnotized can be, therefore anyone who does not wish to be "under a spell" won't be. Their will does not allow, as JB said, for them to be receptive and 'open'. This is a crucial step in hypnosis. Again, I don't believe hypnosis to be a tool of casting spells, rather a tool of suggestion. People who find it easy to be hypnotized are usually people who have a good imagination and can concentrate/focus well on one particular thing. There is a long list of situations where hypnosis can be quite helpful and benefitial (some of these are listed in the website below).

Hypnosis is an altered state of awareness that allows access to a person's subconscious mind. During hypnosis, the body and conscious mind are in a relaxed state, while the subconscious mind remains awake and receptive to suggestions. The mind will only accept those suggestions with which the person is in agreement. Hypnosis enables a communication process to a person's mind that allows the conscious and subconscious minds to believe the same message, which is in line with the established morals and ethics.  Since 1958 the American Medical Association, the American Psychiatric Association and the British Medical Association have adopted hypnosis as a viable therapeutic tool, and approved hypnotherapy for use by professionally responsible individuals (I state this in bold because although it is an approved therapy, it is only acceptable when practiced by such individuals). Although almost anyone can be hypnotized, it requires willingness to be hypnotized and ability to focus. This is also referred to as the degree of hypnotizability of a person.  The induction of hypnosis is never dangerous to the person. However, hypnotized persons may remember unpleasant events and emotionally react. This is when hypnosis comes to the rescue from suffering a lifetime of emotional accidents the conscious mind is unable to change. Because hypnosis is the most functional and reasonable way to reprogram emotional attitudes and reactions.  From the website (sorry for the distracting background there, I found this to be the most concise website): 

https://members.rogers.com/drfatmanur/fact.html

I agree with all of the information found on this website except for, to an extent, the statement that hypnosis is never dangerous to someone. I know that some people have been hypnotized to recover memories from the past and have later found those things not to be true. I also know of those who have been greatly helped in the same area. I think the key is to have a good, ethical hypnotherapist who will not be suggestive in any way as to specific information, but who can guide you in your own thoughts as to what is in your memory and to what is true or not. In hypnosis, one is in a state of heightened awareness and can remember things that have been blocked out. Personally, I am of the opinion at this time that if I have blocked something out of my memory, it may be for a good purpose that the information has been forgotten and I better have a very good reason to go digging around in my subconscious. Repressed memories can be very painful ones to discover.

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 25th Jan, 2005 - 7:37pm

25th Jan, 2005 - 8:52pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Hypnosis

I don't think anyone who does not want to be hypnotized can be

I believe everyone wants to some degree, a bit of everything. While it may happen that you strongly object to doing what you are hypnotized to do, there will allways be a part of you that does want it. I think you are never fully decided on an issue. There will always be a part of you that says 'wait, maybe I am wrong.' I believe proffesional hypnotizers can expand that part of you, however small it is, so much that it eventually dominates you.

Reconcile Edited: Smudge on 26th Jan, 2005 - 2:30am

Post Date: 26th Jan, 2005 - 7:36pm / Post ID: #

Hypnosis
A Friend

Hypnosis

While it may happen that you strongly object to doing what you are hypnotized to do, there will allways be a part of you that does want it.

Does this mean that if someone tries to hypnotize me to kill someone that even though I would strongly object to doing so, that there will always be a part of me that wants to? I will never believe that. There is no part of me, whatsoever, that wants to harm another person in any way. Even if someone could argue that somewhere in a deep, recessive corner of my mind that I am unaware of that there could be such feelings (which I highly doubt), my conscious mind is too strong to ever let something like that flourish and grow in my mind. Killing is against every fiber of my being and contrary to every thought, feeling, and belief that I have. I researched this for a long time before I stated an opinion and found that the gist of what I was saying, that one cannot be hypnotized to do something beyond their will to do so, is a widely-held researched opinion and conclusion. Maybe you would like to research and provide me some articles to back up your opinion.

I think you are never fully decided on an issue...I believe proffesional hypnotizers can expand that part of you, however small it is, so much that it eventually dominates you.

If this is true, we are all in big trouble! If this were a possibility, there would be so many people trying to make others do what they want them to do. Can you imagine someone like Hitler with a tool like that in his arsenal? He would have definitely taken over the world, in my opinion. While I agree with you in your earlier post, that the mind is very powerful and our thoughts can have an effect on certain outcomes, I still hold firm to my earlier opinion. One more question from your first post.

Did you know, for example, that many of the people who die from a few gun shots, could have lived had they only believed in that?

Do you know this for a medical certainty? While it could be a possibility, is this really true in 'many' cases? If so, I would love to learn more about it.

Reconcile Edited: dawnofthenew on 26th Jan, 2005 - 7:39pm

27th Jan, 2005 - 2:37am / Post ID: #

Hypnosis

Even if someone could argue that somewhere in a deep, recessive corner of my mind that I am unaware of that there could be such feelings (which I highly doubt), my conscious mind is too strong to ever let something like that flourish and grow in my mind.

I am sure there is such a feeling in your mind. I personally believe that without civilization, humans are all animals. And the point of hypnosis is taking your consciousness away so it will not control your actions. I don't think any live hypnotizers can do that to you, but it can, technically be done if someone is trained enough in the field.

Can you imagine someone like Hitler with a tool like that in his arsenal?

This is actually sort of what Hitler did by his speeches. I don't think all of those that helped him where murderers by heart. I believe he had helped them to expand their hate for the Jews by his persuasive speeches.

Do you know this for a medical certainty? While it could be a possibility, is this really true in 'many' cases? If so, I would love to learn more about it.

My PE teacher told us about it in our self defence class. While he may be wrong, I highly suspect he was right.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Mar, 2007 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #

Hypnosis - Page 2

I think that it is possible to be hypnotized, but I wouldn't recommend it unless it was done for medical purposes. The reason that I say this is because once you are under the influence of hypnotism, you are not at the same time in control of your own body, instead, somebody else is, and also of your mind.
to me, this can be misused, and dangerous if not handled properly by a professional.

Post Date: 19th Apr, 2007 - 4:11am / Post ID: #

Hypnosis
A Friend

Hypnosis Studies Dreams Mystics & Paranormal - Page 2

I've been researching self-hypnosis as of recently, and actually tried it on myself twice yesterday. I think the first was successful because I was in what could be called an extremely relaxed, pleasant state. The next try wasn't successful as my mind wasn't at rest. I'm doing it to improve qualities in myself that I find lacking (or excessive). Public speaking, for one, is a thing that absolutely terrifies me, and I think that self-hypnosis, along with prayer and increased mental preparation, can solve that problem, and others. Like someone said, it depends on your attitude. You have to let your self-conscious truly believe what you're tring to do *will* work, otherwise it won't work, which is basically what you're trying to achieve through hypnosis in the first place. Also, I don't see anything wrong with hypnosis techniques as long as they are to be used in a helping matter. Matters that aren't beneficial to anybody except for their entertainment --- are not an acceptable reason for performing hypnosis or self-hypnosis, in my opinion. I'm doing it to improve traits in my personality and to boost my self-confidence, both of which I think are a positive, good thing to seek after. I'll probably perform the method once or twice a day on myself for a while. If anybody's interested, I'll let you know how it worked for me or didn't work. smile.gif

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Hypnosis

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,