Do Other Posters Intimidate You? - Page 2 of 3

QUOTE Quite a few times I have seen post to - Page 2 - Community News, FAQ, Feedback - Posted: 4th Feb, 2005 - 1:12am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Please, no, don't make me...
Post Date: 3rd Feb, 2005 - 8:27pm / Post ID: #

Do Other Posters Intimidate You?
A Friend

Do Other Posters Intimidate You? - Page 2

Are you afraid to post a message sometimes because you are afraid of getting rebuked or offending others? If so, which board are you most afraid of?

Hmm, well, sometimes I feel a bit imtimidated, but I usually get over it after taking time to think about the post. The emotional recovery board seems to be a heavy place for me, so I don't go there too often. If I don't take my time I can tend to have a strong reaction at times about certain topics. I feel the same way as Roz, that I am more concerned with not being rude or offensive to anyone else. I have held back posting at times because of this and a couple of times I have taken many hours to write a post, wait, modify, wait some more, modify again, etc. before I will actually post it. I have no need or desire to stir up contention with anyone.

Like Tenaheff said, I come here for edifying discussion, fun, and to stimulate my mind. I like to hear other opinions to help me to look at my own opinions and beliefs to see if I need any adjustment, and most of all because it broadens my understanding of other people. After all, all I have is my limited experience and views from my own life and it is good for me to balance that with what other people have experienced and what they have learned. Most of all, I am really a 'people' person and I love learning about other's experiences, feelings, knowledge, perspectives, and how they live their lives and what has brought them to the choices they have made.

Sponsored Links:
3rd Feb, 2005 - 9:10pm / Post ID: #

You Intimidate Posters Do

Hmm, well, sometimes I feel a bit imtimidated, but I usually get over it after taking time to think about the post

You did not say 'how' you feel intimidated sometimes

I have held back posting at times because of this and a couple of times I have taken many hours to write a post, wait, modify, wait some more, modify again, etc. before I will actually post it. I have no need or desire to stir up contention with anyone.

I think the forum gives a lot of room for strong disagreement, of course there is no need of name calling or being rude but besides that, we can disagree in the strongest term, after all, how boring will be if we agree at all times! . I think also when we reply to the threads we need to remember we are replying to topics, it is not a personal response per say. By thinking this way it may help us to create a proper answer and to understand why people may reply the way they do. Really we are just merely individuals wanting to participate in topics, it is not about us really, it is more about the topic in discussion even if it is part of our lives. Just my two cents.

Post Date: 3rd Feb, 2005 - 9:32pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Do Other Posters Intimidate You? Feedback & FAQ News Community

You did not say 'how' you feel intimidated sometimes

Just that there are times if a topic is serious that I take the time to decide if it is a topic that I want to invest myself in, particularly if it is a sensitive area for me personally. It really doesn't have much to do with what someone says in their post as much as it is about how I feel about that topic. So to clarify, I am not intimidated by any specific person, just to certain topics. I have not mastered in my life yet how to discuss certain issues that trigger certain emotions. That does not make me a weak person, at least I don't think it does, and some things are better kept to myself. You made some excellent points that I have learned during my time here and have applied, and am continuing to improve upon. I think that a part of me will always care at least a little bit about what other people think. Not to the point of having any major effect on me, but don't we all think about other people's opinions, especially in reference to being on the forum, enough to either learn from them and/or ignore parts parts of them? I am learning more to just post my opinion and leave it at that. Anyone can agree or disagree, but if I feel I don't have much to add to what I already said, I am posting responses back to feedback from a post of mine less and less. Oh, even this is getting too long to explain. I was only posting my opinion in this thread, not to be taken as anything else but that. Sometimes, it is too difficult to explain myself so I have learned to keep things to myself more than I used to, including in my personal life. Uhg! The more I try to explain the more I feel that I will be misunderstood sometimes. Keeping things on a lighter side for me is better for me to do at times. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say, and I will post this before I go over this post for hours trying to weed out anything that I might try to hide to avoid conflict. This is the best answer I can come up with for now.

Offtopic but,
My husband says that I sound a bit defensive. He is busy now and without his help, I don't know what to change. I don't mean to come off that way and I am not sure how to fix the post except to modify it to deletion, and I have learned better than to do that. This is why I keep things to myself more, I don't want to be misunderstood.

Message Edited!
Edit by LDS_forever: I just edited your last paragraph and add the offtopic quotes

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 3rd Feb, 2005 - 9:56pm

Post Date: 3rd Feb, 2005 - 9:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 You Intimidate Posters Do

I don't get intimidated by others posting, but I know I can tend to intimidate. I always speak the truth as I pperceiveand tend to debate to no end. I know I can be abrasive at times and have to ask my friends to make sure I don't rub them the wrong way. Luckily, my friends aren't offended by me and realize that its never personal, I just love to debate. I hope that others will not be intimidated by my posts because it is never my intention and I work hard to get my point across with out offending others, especially guests.

3rd Feb, 2005 - 9:50pm / Post ID: #

You Intimidate Posters Do

I personally do not feel intimidated by anyone here and I had some real heated discussions and disagreements with Tenaheff and others laugh.gif but we still friends and caring about each other. It is very hard to know the intentions of someone by just 'writting' on a internet forum so sometimes we may feel intimidated by a poster but the person does not really mean any harm. I think the key here is to participate in all the topics we personally feel comfortable, if there is a topic we want to talk about but we are not sure of the responses we may get , then maybe it is not a good idea to post it. But if the desire to response is too strong and we post our response anyway, then we better be prepared to learn how to deal with it! laugh.gif

Offtopic but,
Dawn, thanks for your explanation. Don't worry about what your husband said, if your post reflects what you wanted to say, it is fine! Relax....

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 3rd Feb, 2005 - 9:53pm

3rd Feb, 2005 - 11:53pm / Post ID: #

I think the key for everyone to remember is that just because someone doesn't agree with your position/post, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your opinon, or theirs. It shouldn't cause you to be offended or intimidated. Now, if a person outright says something offensive to you, that is another matter. However, that is not tolerated.

Also, if you think someone is doing that, I suggest asking them in a post to clarify their position and ask if that is what they meant to convey. So, no, for me I still don't get intimidated by any posters on this forum even though there are some who hold opinions I don't share.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Feb, 2005 - 12:51am / Post ID: #

Do Posters Intimidate You - Page 2

I would say yes to this question. Quite a few times I have seen post to topics that obviously involve more personal feeling than substance. To contradict or disagree with such post would easily end up hurting someones feelings, so I tend not to make any comments towards these post. Not intimidated at you would normally think, but it does alter my actions.

Just a thought,

Vincenzo

4th Feb, 2005 - 1:12am / Post ID: #

Do Posters Intimidate You Community News FAQ & Feedback - Page 2

Quite a few times I have seen post to topics that obviously involve more personal feeling than substance

You're very right, that's why we encourage members to post a question in a general sense rather than to make it a 'personal' post, but sometimes even when they write in a general sense, the intention or desire behind it is a personal one, so really it is very hard to know. As Tena said, by asking the person what they meant or where they want the conversation to go may help to clarify and not be intimidated in replying to the thread. It also very important to say 'in my opinion', people may may disagree but they cannot really argue about it BUT when we post our opinions as facts then it may cause people to speak their minds in a way we may be not ready to accept.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Do Other Posters Intimidate You?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,