Year's Supply - Page 2 of 2

Well, the beans and grain are just for my - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Apr, 2008 - 6:52am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
18th May, 2007 - 10:54pm / Post ID: #

Year's Supply - Page 2

Sleeping on boxes of food certainly is a unique way of guaranteeing space for food storage, however I do not know if I would go that far due to humidity, cleaning and so forth. I guess only a certain type of food and packaging could take the movement and weight of people on top of it?

I honestly wish I could have a proper food storage, but unfortunately the uncertainty of life with constant moving has left me to realize I can only do a couple of months at the most.

Sponsored Links:
28th Jun, 2007 - 4:51am / Post ID: #

Supply Years

I know the food does not last as long due to humidity and heat but I store my food in my camper. It also gives me a little sense of security that if I have to leave that I will have some sort of shelter as well. I have backpacks for 72 hour emergency kits as well in the camper. There is not room for a years supply because it is small but sea rations take up little space and can provide enough sustenance to keep you alive for awhile. I have some canned goods and other food items for when or if we have to go somewhere. Food preparation is not necessarily a problem either since we have propane tanks for the stove and I keep it stocked with cups, plates, etc. We also have some storage in our home. No where near what we should but maybe this will give you some ideas. I even considered buying a trailer and keeping it stocked so we could take it with us.

Some is better than none and more is better than a little. Also, it is a responsibility to ourselves and family as well as the community. If we do not have any than we put a lot of pressure on the community and it just will not be there. We can not rely on the government to take care of us. We can be sure the government or private owners will shoot us if we "find" other sources.

13th Jul, 2007 - 9:09pm / Post ID: #

Year's Supply Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think the best way to get started on a food storage is not to buy it all at once. The project would be too daunting. It is best to buy a little at a time.

It is almost like reading the scriptures. You read consistently a little avery day and the benefits are enormous. The best way to have food storage is to purchase a few dollars more every time you shop or buy storagable products when they are on sale.

My family and I are on a tight budget so this is the only way we could afford to do this.

Rather off topic, but...

And just a word of warning. When my wife was pregnant with our second child, we had decided to make part of our storage a freezer full of meat and other freezables. We had left for a weeks vacation to her parents. As it happened the freezer broke down at the beginning of the Vacation and when we returned we were met with the worst smell that I had ever had the displeasure of smelling. It affected my pregnant wife the worst. She could not eat meat for about a year and a half.

In alot of emergencies the electricity is the first to go, so I would consider things that need to be frozen not necessarily part of a years supply as it is the first to rot without electricity.

Reconcile Message Edited...
I just fixed offtopic quotes.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 13th Jul, 2007 - 9:13pm

Post Date: 10th Apr, 2008 - 5:59pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Supply Years

"At . . . moments of crisis and challenge, some choose to abandon faith just at the time when it most needs to be embraced. Prayer is ignored at the very hour when it needs to be intensified. Virtue is carelessly tossed aside when it needs to be cherished. God is forsaken in the all-too-human yet mistaken fear that He has forsaken us. "The truth is that our only safety, our only security, our only hope is to hold fast to that which is good. As the mists of darkness gather around us, we are only lost if we choose to let go of the iron rod, which is the word of God."
Ref. (David S. Baxter, "Faith, Service, Constancy," Ensign, Nov. 2006, 14)

Post Date: 10th Apr, 2008 - 6:29pm / Post ID: #

Year's Supply
A Friend

Supply Years

When I married my husband 3 years ago, we decided that regardless of the fact that we had a small apartment that we needed food storage. After some research, my sister and I found a farm where they sold grain and beans very cheap in bulk. It only cost about $250 and I have a complete grain and bean storage for a year. It is not difficult to store even in an apartment, we used the under the bed trick.

My main problem has been water, for a while I tried buying water by the gallon, but I doesn't store well for more than a few months. I'm not sure how to do this? Can anyone help me? Thanks!

10th Apr, 2008 - 7:37pm / Post ID: #

Year's Supply

I am interested to know... how much space does enough beans and rice take up, is it the exact space under a queen / double bed? Do you have that measurement in Kgs or Lbs?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 17th Apr, 2008 - 6:52am / Post ID: #

Year's Supply
A Friend

Year's Supply - Page 2

Well, the beans and grain are just for my husband and myself for a year. We stored them under a queen size bed with room to spare. I put them in about 20- 5 gallon buckets (with about a 1 gallon size of each left out for use). We have several different kinds of grains. I don't have lbs measurements. I remember we got enough for the year according to a pamphlet the church put out, but I don't remember how much that was now.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Year's Supply

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,